Author Topic: Exhaust delete?  (Read 6375 times)

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Exhaust delete?
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 07:00:04 am »

[/quote]
If I leave the stock manifold in with the catalyst, and then add a baffled tip where the slip-on goes it should be less than the 105db that the tips claim since I'd imagine that would be for an open manifold.  Someone also said the catalyst kills some of the sound, so there's that.
Ryan
[/quote]

Considering how panty twisting this idea is  :-[ (my boxers are fine btw :great:) - it would be smart to keep the stock header with the catalyst intact. Eliminating the back pressure entirely couldn't be good. And if Steve said it would kill some sound, it must be true. I'm curious to hear what it will sound like. Should only take a few minutes to get that muffler off and fit your baffled tip onto the mid-pipe. Are you going to post us a youtube video or what?!? Get on it!!  :motonoises:

:beerchug:

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 12:27:03 pm »
You CANNOT ride with me without a real muffler.

That's not an issue, I ride alone.

That is irrelevant to the issue at hand, loud pipes are annoying and do nothing but give bikers a bad name. Besides they also kill
the power compared to tuned systems with mufflers.

This is what I was trying to get @. Forget the noise, I don't care one bit about jerks in cages.  I find that they stay far clear of me on my cruiser with the shotgun pipes and that's the way I like it.

The real issue I was bringing up is, is there a way to remove the muffler and still keep the same level of performance.  It's huge and ugly.  I want it gone.  I am only looking @ things already done to the ZX14R (which is more or less the naked version of the C14) and that is all.  I had no idea this was going to twist so many panties.

If I leave the stock manifold in with the catalyst, and then add a baffled tip where the slip-on goes it should be less than the 105db that the tips claim since I'd imagine that would be for an open manifold.  Someone also said the catalyst kills some of the sound, so there's that.  I was just looking for info, but if everyone wants to just talk s*** about something that hasn't been done yet I'll just go do it and figure it out on my own.

Ryan

Looks to me like you're the only person in this thread who has his nickers in a wad...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:00:49 pm by Conrad »
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 04:55:21 pm »
Ok, everybody calm down.
We can argue about preferences forever, but everyone has their own opinion.
Why not limit the discussion to sharing thoughts, but not arguing about them??

He's asking how to do something.
Doing away with the bazooka and finding a look that someone personally wants has always been something we've discussed.
Discussion on that part has been interesting. Let's keep it going.

Grendel, go to my replies (#4 and #10 {I think})
These tips, are what I think you want?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-zx14-zx-14-moto-gp-exhaust-stubby-2-mufflers/191619810288?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D5658afcb039a454da07a02990848b737%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D191105781807

Open and go to the bottom. Made by Low Industries.  631 704-1377
NOTE:  They offer 1, 2, or 3 levels of baffles to control back pressure and sound.
They say to call them with questions. I'm sure they can offer idea's..

If only 1 tip, use the ZG headers you already have..
If you prefer 2 tips? You will need ZX-14 headers.
(Both have the same dia outlets)

Couple those tips with 2009 - 2012 ZX-14 headers w/Cat and you can adjust your back pressure and sound as you want it.
Here is a 2012 header;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-KAWASAKI-NINJA-ZX14R-ZX1400E-EXHAUST-HEADER-PIPES-MANIFOLD/401234721228?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3Da8ee7c9fdb614ecb894e13b654f9e986%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D291931352541

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:14:20 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline TimB_PA

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 06:21:04 pm »
I am thinking that those tips on a stock header would be way too loud and get one a ticket no matter how good you baffled it. I also don't think you'd have much in the way of performance. Probably kill mpg even more.
If the goal is to eliminate the big ugly stock can and maybe make a "little" more noise, there are some options already posted. Bike is going to run a whole lot doggish with the lack of back pressure.

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 07:38:16 am »

Considering how panty twisting this idea is  :-[ (my boxers are fine btw :great:) - it would be smart to keep the stock header with the catalyst intact. Eliminating the back pressure entirely couldn't be good. And if Steve said it would kill some sound, it must be true. I'm curious to hear what it will sound like. Should only take a few minutes to get that muffler off and fit your baffled tip onto the mid-pipe. Are you going to post us a youtube video or what?!? Get on it!!  :motonoises:

:beerchug:

Hell yea there will be a video coming. I was looking to get as much info from here as I could before I went blowing money like it was my last 24hrs to live and I was in Vegas getting hookers and beer.

Ryan

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 07:40:26 am »
Looks to me live you're the only person in this thread who has his nickers in a wad...

See, this is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. If you don't have any technical advice to add can you please go be a jacka$$ somewhere else?  :))

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 07:48:18 am »
Ok, everybody calm down.
We can argue about preferences forever, but everyone has their own opinion.
Why not limit the discussion to sharing thoughts, but not arguing about them??

He's asking how to do something.
Doing away with the bazooka and finding a look that someone personally wants has always been something we've discussed.
Discussion on that part has been interesting. Let's keep it going.

Grendel, go to my replies (#4 and #10 {I think})
These tips, are what I think you want?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-zx14-zx-14-moto-gp-exhaust-stubby-2-mufflers/191619810288?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D5658afcb039a454da07a02990848b737%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D191105781807

Open and go to the bottom. Made by Low Industries.  631 704-1377
NOTE:  They offer 1, 2, or 3 levels of baffles to control back pressure and sound.
They say to call them with questions. I'm sure they can offer idea's..

If only 1 tip, use the ZG headers you already have..
If you prefer 2 tips? You will need ZX-14 headers.
(Both have the same dia outlets)

Couple those tips with 2009 - 2012 ZX-14 headers w/Cat and you can adjust your back pressure and sound as you want it.
Here is a 2012 header;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-KAWASAKI-NINJA-ZX14R-ZX1400E-EXHAUST-HEADER-PIPES-MANIFOLD/401234721228?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3Da8ee7c9fdb614ecb894e13b654f9e986%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D291931352541

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks again for the info Ted, I'm starting to wish I'd just PM'd you and SISF instead of getting everyone else involved.  Those are the tips I was looking @, and I'm going to get them soon.  I'm going to try using one on the stock manifold to see if it will clear the center stand if I add the other one with the ZX14 manifold.  If it all clears then I'll get the manifold too.  There are a couple places near me that can dyno the bike, so I can see right away if the performance is taking too big of a hit.  I just need to know if Steve thinks his flash will work on this or if I should just get a PCV and get it tuned on the dyno.

Ryan

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 12:55:57 pm »
Looks to me live you're the only person in this thread who has his nickers in a wad...

See, this is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. If you don't have any technical advice to add can you please go be a jacka$$ somewhere else?  :))

Wow.....jackass? I don't see any cussing or name calling in Conrad's post. But I do find these statements in yours.....

Forget the noise, I don't care one bit about jerks in cages. I find that they stay far clear of me on my cruiser with the shotgun pipes and that's the way I like it.

but if everyone wants to just talk s***

Moving on, good luck with your project.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 01:22:47 pm »
I love the pipe police. Someone should make a video of a sport tourer in full power ranger gear reprimanding a parade of Harleys for loud pipes and not wearing all the gear. In all my years of riding and going to bike shows I have never seen anyone call someone out for loud pipes. I have also never seen a thread about pipes not blow up into a loud pipes save lives bitch session.

I think I will start a thread on PDF Manuals.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 02:42:07 pm »
Get the PVC

Dale Carnegie :)
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Mike

• Big Wheels
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 01:23:29 pm »
"Looks like the muffler equivalent of the Pontiac Aztec."   :D  Now that's funny!

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 03:46:19 am »
For the record, I am a fan of the Pontiac.  A part of me died when GM killed it, but you can ask anyone what the ugliest thing to come out of GM was and almost everyone would say the Aztec.

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 10:52:58 am »
Bringing this back from the dead for a second.  I finally got a round to messing with it, and it is better than I had hoped.  I will post the vid soon, it is slightly louder @ idle than before, but for the most part SISF was totally right.  All the real noise reduction is done in the cat on these bikes, so it wasn't nearly as bad as most thought it was going to be.  It only gets really loud when I pin it ... but it did that before with the stock ugly a** muffler on it.

Ryan

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2018, 04:36:53 pm »
We'll be watching for your video....
What headers are you using?

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:41:07 pm by connie_rider »

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 07:14:09 pm »
That is irrelevant to the issue at hand, loud pipes are annoying and do nothing but give bikers a bad name. Besides they also kill the power compared to tuned systems with mufflers.
amen.

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 03:30:05 am »
We'll be watching for your video....
What headers are you using?

Ride safe, Ted

Just took the clamp off after the cat and clamped on the baffled turn out.  Not nearly as loud, but still sounds way better.

One thing I wanted to ask you is what did you do about the center stand landing pad?  It's not hitting the swing arm when I ride so I'm not too stressed about it.  Is there a bracket that mounts to the mid pipe bolt to hold a pad for the center stand?

Ryan

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 03:39:49 am »
It can be fabricated from a piece of aluminum angle iron, and a screw clamp.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 03:43:12 am »
Truth

Back in 1978 1100xs Yamaha put Kerker  4 to 1 race headers  LOST low end big time, had dealer do mods to make  things better never the same...

And with in the first week of header change coming home 2 AM cop sitting behind school hit's lites  chase is on  home one mile away  zig zag in basement before cop makes it past my house,
 noise is not your friend unless you really need attention 

I took off my restrictors / noise reduction units from the Two Brothers mufflers  when I went to the Cog group's   Jennings race course training last year , I was in love with noise again , you can hear every burb , pop music for sure , just not realistic  for the street.
 I use to ride with this gal  with short open pipes , only time I had to wear ear plugs  , annoying .
 :deadhorse:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Grendel

• Tricycle
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 06:18:37 am »
It has no lost low end power, still rides exactly the same as before.  It's only slightly louder than before anyway.  I am still baffled by the hate I'm seeing when nobody will admit to doing this so nobody knows what it sounds like.  Everybody loves to talk big because they *think* it's loud since I removed the muffler.  Like SISF said, and more people on youtube, the cat does 90% of the baffling in the box, the muffler just changes the tone.

Thanks for the idea Ted, I will see what I can come up with.

Ryan

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 02:31:12 pm »
Cuda; I know your a racer and understand how headers work.
          Your not quite telling the whole story about the Kerkers. <ya sly devil>
           They had large diameter/long head pipes and collector, and were designed for RPM power, not low end.
            ie; The head pipe /header design lost the low end, not just the muffler.

That's why I asked which header he was using..
If you go back into this discussion, you'll see he originally planned cat-less ZX headers and 2 of the shorty's.

NOTE: I helped him find shorty's with baffles inside...
          Because of the shorty design, no mid pipe, he may actually be restricting the flow more than a stock muffler.
          With the baffles, ZG headers and Cat, these will not as loud as you might think.

We'll all agree that his mufflers are gonna be louder than most..
Yepp, {as Cuda sed} can be a cop magnet..

We all also agree that each person builds their bike to suit themselves.
So, lets wait to see/hear his video.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Pittsburgh_Clem

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11340
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 07:23:42 pm »
I run a full Ap but I don not think it is any louder than slip ons

Anyone running an Area P full system or anything similar is running a completely open exhaust system.  There is baffling in the muffler surround, but the system is an "open" pipe.
[/quote]
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover – Mark Twain.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 07:53:32 pm »
From this entire thread I got "my last 24hrs to live and I was in Vegas getting hookers and beer." HooYah.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 08:15:55 pm »

Clem, go crank the beast WOT and hit some rpms... it's WAY louder than a slipon. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2018, 09:09:29 pm »

Clem, go crank the beast WOT and hit some rpms... it's WAY louder than a slipon. Steve
i run an areap full system, and above 6 grand i sounds really angry...AND I LOVE IT.....political correctness sucks.. loud pipes don't save lives, they're just fun... :sorry:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Pittsburgh_Clem

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11340
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 11:06:58 pm »

I do not have anything to compare to  Just me and my connie. I will pay more attention in TN April
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover – Mark Twain.