Author Topic: Expected More From Corbin....Paint Code Question.  (Read 933 times)

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Expected More From Corbin....Paint Code Question.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 11:03:47 pm »
Shouldn't the fresh paint cure for a few days before being wrapped up?

Paint was shot yesterday, shipping out on Tuesday.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 03:51:27 am »
I've spent most all of my life painting cars and custom "stuff" from snowmobiles and helicopters to airplanes and golf carts.  Matching colors is truly an art that only a VERY small percentage of painters can actually do to any real level of "non-discernable" difference.  That part appears to have been painted by a blind janitor who had nothing to go off of at all.

Yes, there are differences from vehicle to vehicle, but they are really minor any more.  Repainting systems used by refinishers (body shops) are completely different systems from what the car manufacturer's use in the first place (which are typically TSAs) rather than acrylic or poly urethanes which are catalyzed with polyisocyanates... at least the good quality paints typically are unless they are in California and using the, primarily, water born materials.  SO you're trying to match a color that was painted under totally different circumstances with totally different materials by totally different painters (or robots) using totally different equipment.  It ain't easy.  But the new materials are amazing and most of the manufacturers have done the heavy lifting for you... BUT NOT ON MOTORCYCLES.  No paint manufacturer that I am aware of offers paint matching to any codes from any non-American manufacturer (even the foreign ones manufactured here) EXCEPT ColorRite.  They are the only game in town as far as having a formula developed to be blendable close out of the can.  Not a dead on match always or even most of the time, but blendable close.  That means you can do a colorblend on an adjacent panel and hide the slight mismatch.  THIS is the standard way your vehicles are being painted when they are repaired at the body shop.  It is the fast and best way to produce an excellent product match.  To simply shoot an undiscernible match is not far from lottery odds, but they ought to just buy the ColorRite paint and shoot it.  The customer will be happy most of the time.  What they did on that part won't please anyone who can pass a driver's vision test... even color blind ones like Jerry.  :D

Because the bike parts are made of plastic, they are NOT painted with TSAs like most cars are.  The parts cannot stand the high curing temps required for them.  Therefore they must be painted with higher solvent paints.  This means longer dry/cure times, but with good air movement and slightly elevated temp after initial cure, the paint can be pretty hard in three days.  Hard enough to ship?  I reckon we'll know soon enough.

As for air pressure, temp, amount of thinner used, humidity, spray tip, distance from work all making a difference in color... they do.  But so does whether a part is metal or plastic or fiberglass.  Whether it is grounded when using metallic or mica/pearl enhanced colors can make even bigger differences in appearance without affecting actual color.  Blending is the best, most efficient, most economical way to a satisfactory finish in almost every case.  Some colors like black (and even many reds) are pretty easy.  White is, IMHO, the most horrible of all colors to match.  Second to that are beige metallic/pearls (those champagne colors).

I certainly hope your ordeal turns out satisfactory.  My experience from the other side of the fence makes me think their approach is setting them/you up for failure and dissatisfaction.  I hope I am wrong.  I wish the best for you.  I would certainly think there have been more than a few of these things put on the green machines by now.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »
I would certainly think there have been more than a few of these things put on the green machines by now.

I agree. They obviously farm out the painting of these parts because I can't see where they sell enough to do it in house. Of course based on what I got, who knows. If you are going to offer a green trunk, then make an effort to at least try to come close to the color you're trying to peddle? I'm hoping that with the sample, even they can figure it out. If they can't, then my next step is to take it to my painter who I've had for years and has matched everything I've thrown at him....at their expense. That's going to be more of a challenge than matching the paint, but if it gets to that point...gonna give it a try.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 09:21:51 pm »
Then do your painter a favor and tell him/her about ColorRite.  It'll save his/her sanity trying to nail it.  And that from an excellent paint matcher.  Just sayin'.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 10:59:41 pm »
Then do your painter a favor and tell him/her about ColorRite.  It'll save his/her sanity trying to nail it.  And that from an excellent paint matcher.  Just sayin'.

Already talked to him last weekend and he had asked ME if they used ColorRite. Like I said, haven't had him miss a color match.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 03:47:15 am »
Excellent :great:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie