Author Topic: Expected More From Corbin....Paint Code Question.  (Read 1598 times)

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Expected More From Corbin....Paint Code Question.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 11:03:47 pm »
Shouldn't the fresh paint cure for a few days before being wrapped up?

Paint was shot yesterday, shipping out on Tuesday.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 03:51:27 am »
I've spent most all of my life painting cars and custom "stuff" from snowmobiles and helicopters to airplanes and golf carts.  Matching colors is truly an art that only a VERY small percentage of painters can actually do to any real level of "non-discernable" difference.  That part appears to have been painted by a blind janitor who had nothing to go off of at all.

Yes, there are differences from vehicle to vehicle, but they are really minor any more.  Repainting systems used by refinishers (body shops) are completely different systems from what the car manufacturer's use in the first place (which are typically TSAs) rather than acrylic or poly urethanes which are catalyzed with polyisocyanates... at least the good quality paints typically are unless they are in California and using the, primarily, water born materials.  SO you're trying to match a color that was painted under totally different circumstances with totally different materials by totally different painters (or robots) using totally different equipment.  It ain't easy.  But the new materials are amazing and most of the manufacturers have done the heavy lifting for you... BUT NOT ON MOTORCYCLES.  No paint manufacturer that I am aware of offers paint matching to any codes from any non-American manufacturer (even the foreign ones manufactured here) EXCEPT ColorRite.  They are the only game in town as far as having a formula developed to be blendable close out of the can.  Not a dead on match always or even most of the time, but blendable close.  That means you can do a colorblend on an adjacent panel and hide the slight mismatch.  THIS is the standard way your vehicles are being painted when they are repaired at the body shop.  It is the fast and best way to produce an excellent product match.  To simply shoot an undiscernible match is not far from lottery odds, but they ought to just buy the ColorRite paint and shoot it.  The customer will be happy most of the time.  What they did on that part won't please anyone who can pass a driver's vision test... even color blind ones like Jerry.  :D

Because the bike parts are made of plastic, they are NOT painted with TSAs like most cars are.  The parts cannot stand the high curing temps required for them.  Therefore they must be painted with higher solvent paints.  This means longer dry/cure times, but with good air movement and slightly elevated temp after initial cure, the paint can be pretty hard in three days.  Hard enough to ship?  I reckon we'll know soon enough.

As for air pressure, temp, amount of thinner used, humidity, spray tip, distance from work all making a difference in color... they do.  But so does whether a part is metal or plastic or fiberglass.  Whether it is grounded when using metallic or mica/pearl enhanced colors can make even bigger differences in appearance without affecting actual color.  Blending is the best, most efficient, most economical way to a satisfactory finish in almost every case.  Some colors like black (and even many reds) are pretty easy.  White is, IMHO, the most horrible of all colors to match.  Second to that are beige metallic/pearls (those champagne colors).

I certainly hope your ordeal turns out satisfactory.  My experience from the other side of the fence makes me think their approach is setting them/you up for failure and dissatisfaction.  I hope I am wrong.  I wish the best for you.  I would certainly think there have been more than a few of these things put on the green machines by now.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »
I would certainly think there have been more than a few of these things put on the green machines by now.

I agree. They obviously farm out the painting of these parts because I can't see where they sell enough to do it in house. Of course based on what I got, who knows. If you are going to offer a green trunk, then make an effort to at least try to come close to the color you're trying to peddle? I'm hoping that with the sample, even they can figure it out. If they can't, then my next step is to take it to my painter who I've had for years and has matched everything I've thrown at him....at their expense. That's going to be more of a challenge than matching the paint, but if it gets to that point...gonna give it a try.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 09:21:51 pm »
Then do your painter a favor and tell him/her about ColorRite.  It'll save his/her sanity trying to nail it.  And that from an excellent paint matcher.  Just sayin'.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 10:59:41 pm »
Then do your painter a favor and tell him/her about ColorRite.  It'll save his/her sanity trying to nail it.  And that from an excellent paint matcher.  Just sayin'.

Already talked to him last weekend and he had asked ME if they used ColorRite. Like I said, haven't had him miss a color match.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 03:47:15 am »
Excellent :great:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Syxxphive

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12672
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 03:54:56 pm »
Any update on this?

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 11:02:26 pm »
Sorry for the delay, I just got his thing back. The last date I had posted for getting the trunk back was  the 16th, I got it the 24th. And that's after having to email Mike Corbin directly. I went through 3 sales people, each one of them a liar. They all assured me that THEY would call me and keep me up to date after getting so many different stories as to what the delay was, none of them did. I heard they had to repaint it twice because the first time wasn't "acceptable" to the paint shop manager, I heard that it had been done but the paint had to cure...you name it. Every lying sales professional gave me a different story. It takes quite a bit to push me over the top, congratulations Corbin...you did it! In desperation, I called the receptionist and let her know what was up and I wanted to talk with the sales manager. She was the biggest help, she gave me the sales manager's email address, as well as Mike Corbin. It took 3 hours after an email was sent to Mr. Corbin to get me a tracking number from 3 different people...unreal. The trunk still doesn't match right, however it's much better than it was. Today was the first day I rolled it outside. I realize it's not going to be perfect, but I have a day to figure if it's going to be worth the fight or just accept that no matter who does it, it would be easier to crap a $20 bill than match Kawasaki Green.

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 11:52:20 pm »
Wow, sorry to read about the issues with Corbin!! After your first post with that unmatched green color, I think this one is a whole lot better and probably at this point after all the back and forth and possibly more issues if you were to try to match it 100%, I would stick with this. I mean how much more patience would anyone have.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 11:56:44 pm »
How hard is it to match OE colour?
Home Depot, for example, can match any colour you bring and it'llbe 99.9% accurate. Corbin sucks monkey's butt. Shame!

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 02:42:58 am »
Like I posted a while back, that color is NOT that easy to match. Jay had the luxury of painting EVERYTHING AT THE SAME TIME! All his panels match as a result of that. Painting one or two pieces at a time is going to be damn near impossible to get a perfect match. Close? Maybe. Perfect? NO frigging way jack!
Matt

As Jay said, there are a lot of variable that will affect the way the paint looks when it is cured.
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 05:36:47 pm »
Wow, sorry to read about the issues with Corbin!! After your first post with that unmatched green color, I think this one is a whole lot better and probably at this point after all the back and forth and possibly more issues if you were to try to match it 100%, I would stick with this. I mean how much more patience would anyone have.

I agree...if it's too much of an issue, I'll just have my painter take are of it. I can't take dealing with Corbin again. >:(

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2017, 11:53:58 pm »
My Copperdawg shield does not match and it is 2011 silver

I know sometimes it has to do with the color of the primer light or dark  / so I was told when the painter did not match the fiberglass topper for my pick up ::)
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2017, 12:58:06 am »
My Copperdawg shield does not match and it is 2011 silver

I know sometimes it has to do with the color of the primer light or dark  / so I was told when the painter did not match the fiberglass topper for my pick up ::)

I'll pass this along to Corbin for their grab bag of excuses, this is one I DIDN'T hear! They had an actual bike panel piece, they had the factory paint code. I'm not new to this. This is the first time I have not had a paint matched close enough, if not exact enough so that it was virtually unnoticeable.

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2017, 11:42:10 pm »
How Corbin stays in business as a going concern is completely baffling. Anybody else would have been out of business, bankrupt, long, ago.

If they do go belly-up, they certainly earned it, and no doubt deserve it.
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline Bilbur

• Bicycle
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 09:17:33 pm »
Sorry for the delay, I just got his thing back. The last date I had posted for getting the trunk back was  the 16th, I got it the 24th. And that's after having to email Mike Corbin directly. I went through 3 sales people, each one of them a liar. They all assured me that THEY would call me and keep me up to date after getting so many different stories as to what the delay was, none of them did. I heard they had to repaint it twice because the first time wasn't "acceptable" to the paint shop manager, I heard that it had been done but the paint had to cure...you name it. Every lying sales professional gave me a different story. It takes quite a bit to push me over the top, congratulations Corbin...you did it! In desperation, I called the receptionist and let her know what was up and I wanted to talk with the sales manager. She was the biggest help, she gave me the sales manager's email address, as well as Mike Corbin. It took 3 hours after an email was sent to Mr. Corbin to get me a tracking number from 3 different people...unreal. The trunk still doesn't match right, however it's much better than it was. Today was the first day I rolled it outside. I realize it's not going to be perfect, but I have a day to figure if it's going to be worth the fight or just accept that no matter who does it, it would be easier to crap a $20 bill than match Kawasaki Green.

I don't like Corbin. But this is dam close. I would count this as a long winded win. that green is notorious for being hard to match outside of Kawasaki.

Even looking closely at these pics it's really hard to see the difference.

Looks great man. Glad you finally got the smuggler back.

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 11:08:46 pm »
Really appreciate that....I can definitely live with it. If the trunk didn't look so good, it would have been a no brainer to not even deal with them. Still waiting for the call from Corbin to make sure I got the trunk OK and if I'm happy with with the match, along with an apology.  :rotflmao: