Author Topic: Expected More From Corbin....Paint Code Question.  (Read 1884 times)

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Expected More From Corbin....Paint Code Question.
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:59:45 pm »
So a month ago, I go to the Hollister Rally to pick up a 2015 Connie that was for sale. I went by Corbin to order a Smuggler Trunk since I had planned on getting one and everything was 10% off. So get a call Thursday saying it was done, went back over there to pick it up Saturday....I'm about 2 hours away. I go to install it and notice the paint doesn't match. Really? I have a green bike, a color listed on THEIR choice of colors, so this shouldn't be an issue. I've come to the conclusion that as long as you don't have an issue with a product you buy from them, they're fine. I sent them pictures Sunday and explained the issue, waited today for a call that never came. I finally called them, was told that the pictures never came through and was given a number to text them, which I did. No word back, finally an hour and a half later, after several attempts to get some info with texts and a phone call, I got a text back telling me that I had to send them a piece off the bike so they can match it. Isn't that what a paint code is for? I thought a code tells you exactly how to match a color. I'm not a painter, so maybe I'm wrong? Looks to me like they mixed the paint wrong. Texted them back to let them know that is going to be a pain and to just send me a label, I'll ship it back and paint it right. No response. This continued all day long, talked to 2 additional people thinking I may get one of them to help right? Nope! The second never got back to me period, and the last one told me since the first one got the ball rolling, I should follow through.....even though I told him he's not getting get back to me unless I hound him. I wasn't rude or dropped any effective adjectives to get across how ridiculous this is, so there is no reason for not keeping me informed. And that wasn't easy. Tomorrow we go round 2.....keep you posted.   

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
Re: Expected More From Corbin....Paint Code Question.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:51:18 pm »
How can you screw up Kawasaki green? Personally I don't like Corbin products. I have purchased in the past and have always been disappointed. YMMV
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline d04011

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:00:39 pm »
Really poor attempt at matching Kawasaki Green.  Looks like dog crap.  Unfortunately Corbin Customer Service has become sub-standard...
2016 ZX-14R SE
2015 C-14 Concours
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2012 H-D Fat Bob
2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 12:11:26 am »
How can you screw up Kawasaki green? Personally I don't like Corbin products. I have purchased in the past and have always been disappointed. YMMV

I've had several seats, also had a Smuggler Trunk on my '10 Connie. It was black, so I guess even they could not screw that up too bad. The seats fit me well, I know they don't for everybody. I've always had to shim the brackets...never just a straight install, but nothing like this.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 01:23:29 am »
YtseJam,
I recently went through he same color disparity regarding the "code" versus what you get in return. I have a Copperdawg screen that had been painted several times previously to match other bikes. I stripped it and gave my Body/paint guy the Kawi paint code. It looked like someone had mixed in some brown mustard with the paint when I got it back and next to the bike. I took off my battery side cover and let him use that to get a color match using some special camera setup. While it is still not a perfect match it is dev=finitely much much much better than it was. One of the more noticeable things seems to be the physical size of the particles in the paint being larger on the aftermarket matching as opposed to the factory colors. Not a huge issue but it is noticeable.
Matt
Good luck with Corbin, I hear they are pretty bad about customer service.
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Moped
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 05:41:13 am »
This looks like dog s***. Many aftermarket builders are like that. Even large names like Goshen and MV our shop deals currently. Every new vehicle we get has blemishes, a real manufacturer WOULD NOT allow.
Shame...
But it makes you proud because it is made in Murica... :rotflmao:

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 01:34:49 pm »
That color isn't even close to matching.  ::)
My one experience with Corbin was when I ordered a seat for my '99 Honda Nighthawk 750, and when it came in it was not what I ordered. The seat material was wrong and I ordered different piping, and what I got was a regular ol' seat. I sent that one back and finally got what I originally ordered but it wouldn't latch onto the bike.  :-[ I tried and tried and even shaved off some of the rubber stops on the bottom of the seat and it still wouldn't latch. Their stuff is junk, IMO.

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 01:05:25 am »
I'm very afraid this won't end well. Based on their reputation, once Corbin has your money, the case is closed. Period. 

No refunds, no exchanges, no adjustments, no re-dos. You can sue them, but they have lawyers, too.

Perhaps this case will be different.
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 03:36:56 am »
Sad. I've had two of their seats ( C10 an C14), and liked them both.
Depending on how long it's been since you paid, you may be able to send it back and contest the charge to your credit card.

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 04:00:57 pm »
I am color blind as can be, and I can tell that doesn't match.  Sorry customer service if they don't correct the problem.
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 C14 (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 07:42:42 pm »
If anyone else made a trunk that was on par with theirs, trust me...I would buy it. Sadly, they're it and they know it. It looks like the only solution here is to bite the bullet and send them a color sample, so I'm sending them the battery side cover. They have not argued the fact that there is an issue and have insisted they will make it right, but the way this has been handled is what is making this worse. They are sending Fed-Ex over to the house to pick up the trunk and panel that I boxed up last night. The fact that the color is SO off should illustrate to them not to attempt a color other than black. What I didn't know is that the sales staff works out of Florida, which is also making this more of a hassle than it really should be.....   

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 10:08:53 pm »
I know the location... about 90 minutes from my house.
Prior to me buying a used Corbin modular for my C14, I was ready to spend the cash, but not without trying one on.
I emailed them, asking if they had one at the FL store, and if it was possible to go to their store and "try it"... I'm still waiting for the response.
Thankfully, their lack of response saved me a few hundred dollars  :rotflmao:

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 10:57:38 pm »
I know the location... about 90 minutes from my house.
Prior to me buying a used Corbin modular for my C14, I was ready to spend the cash, but not without trying one on.
I emailed them, asking if they had one at the FL store, and if it was possible to go to their store and "try it"... I'm still waiting for the response.
Thankfully, their lack of response saved me a few hundred dollars  :rotflmao:

I had a 2010 Connie that had one, loved it. The only issue was getting it to fit, which seems to be a consistent issue with them. Every seat I've had, or the trunk had to have the bracket shimmed, once that was done it fit perfect. Why they don't provide a longer latch is beyond me.

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7653
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 01:37:47 am »
Corbin the modern company has really sucked for a long time now, as long as I've been riding. But there's no denying their seats work well for me. I just buy 'em used and re-cover them.
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 06:55:56 pm »
That tri-color green is a tough one to duplicate, even the angles of the paint gun can make some pieces look different than others in the sun, you'd be better off having it done by a legit painter IMO.

Good luck, hope you find a solution, I always loved those smuggler trunks on the Connies! Have patience, it CAN be done if you have the right painter! :great: :great:

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 07:25:38 pm »
How about I send it to you....;) They got the trunk and the painted piece today so I hope that their painter gets this figured out. Plus if they're smart, they will keep track of the mix they will need if they ever have to do this again. They get one more shot at this....if not, things are going to get ugly.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 07:52:45 pm »
How about I send it to you....;) They got the trunk and the painted piece today so I hope that their painter gets this figured out. Plus if they're smart, they will keep track of the mix they will need if they ever have to do this again. They get one more shot at this....if not, things are going to get ugly.

Don't send it to me, but you can send it to my painter, not cheap but quality work IMO if that's what's most important to you. FWIW I think everyone sources that green from colorrite, including Corbin. There is often variance in Colorrites paints from batch to batch, ever time I had to have something matched up even though the same code it still needed to be tweaked a bit to match, that is where a great painter is worth their price IMO.
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 09:41:51 pm »

Don't send it to me, but you can send it to my painter, not cheap but quality work IMO if that's what's most important to you. FWIW I think everyone sources that green from colorrite, including Corbin. There is often variance in Colorrites paints from batch to batch, ever time I had to have something matched up even though the same code it still needed to be tweaked a bit to match, that is where a great painter is worth their price IMO.

I think the color I got back needed more than a tweak. And your right about subtle variances, I've had enough things painted. I'm hoping with the sample I sent, that would be enough to get them on the right track.

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 03:06:32 pm »
My last Corbin experience was for a VMax gen 1, around 7 years ago; the seat saved my derriere on a long solo trip Toronto to Key west and back. However, after that they have come up with a "new and improved" (i heard it is dog sh*t) type of foam, that to many feels like seating on a cement bag. No thanks! I'll buy a RDL probably this winter :)
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Not So Wild Turkey

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10559
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 05:43:23 pm »
Sorry for your Corbin malfluctuation.  I consider myself the great ANTI CORBIN.  I'm not much as super heros go but at least my hatred for them has found me some like minded brethren.  I hope truly they make it perfect for you but if my experience is an indication you should stop holding your breath.
 >:(
2012 Concours Arabian Red & 80 Suzuki GS1100E
2003 VTX1800R Black / 1979 Suzuki GS1000E / 1969 Norton Commando
Yamaha DT3 250 / Kawasaki 100 G4TR

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 07:35:08 pm »
My last Corbin experience was for a VMax gen 1, around 7 years ago; the seat saved my derriere on a long solo trip Toronto to Key west and back. However, after that they have come up with a "new and improved" (i heard it is dog sh*t) type of foam, that to many feels like seating on a cement bag. No thanks! I'll buy a RDL probably this winter :)

I had actually ordered a seat the same time as the trunk but found the same seat for sale here for less, so bought it and cancelled the seat order. It feels the same as what was on my old Connie so maybe I lucked out!

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 07:38:02 pm »
Sorry for your Corbin malfluctuation.  I consider myself the great ANTI CORBIN.  I'm not much as super heros go but at least my hatred for them has found me some like minded brethren.  I hope truly they make it perfect for you but if my experience is an indication you should stop holding your breath.

Called them today and was told that they are matching and painting the trunk today and my stock part will be sent Monday, the trunk Tuesday. Why they won't send it the same time....don't know and don't care, they're paying for it. If it still isn't a match....let the games begin. :021:

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 09:24:01 pm »
Got my fingers crossed here, hoping for the best for OP!
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline YtseJam

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 10:34:24 pm »
Got my fingers crossed here, hoping for the best for OP!

Thanks...me too!

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7653
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 08:32:57 pm »
Shouldn't the fresh paint cure for a few days before being wrapped up?
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."