Author Topic: Extra Key for Bags & Gas  (Read 1604 times)

Offline speedwgn

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9060
  • Membership Level: Active
Extra Key for Bags & Gas
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:45:00 pm »
Got tired of taking the stove knob in and out each time to access the gas tank or the panniers.    Ordered a key blank from my dealer, had it cut to match the spare provided with the bike.    Works great. Now I can leave the stove knob in place and the FOB in my pocket.    A small, but meaningful, step in the great key battles... :8|:  

Offline JEM

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8269
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Extra Key for Bags & Gas
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:27:00 pm »
I just use the key inside the FOB in my front pocket. But that's just me...    Jeff  
Jeff 
COG #8269 
'08 Kawasaki Concours 14 
'92 H-D FXRS Low Rider 
'90 Honda Rebel 
'79 Kawasaki KE 125 
'78 Kawasaki KM 100

Offline UP

• Training Wheels
Extra Key for Bags & Gas
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:13:00 pm »
What Jeff said!    UP  

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
Extra Key for Bags & Gas
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 06:29:00 am »
 I find them both to be a pain in the butt. I used the small key out of the fob to cut spare keys. I keep one in my right jacket pocket. The other on my key ring. I find them much easier to use than either the stove knob key or the fob. I also normally keep a credit card zipped in the right pocket as well when out riding.    Pulling up to the gas pump takes seconds. I ride up unzipping the pocket. I stop at the pump. The key on a soft fob and the credit card come out together. I swipe the card and open the cap while it's authorizing. Then I pump and I'm out of there in short order. I personally stay on the bike while fueling. If I'm going to take a break. I'll then pull the bike out of the way first.   The key blank is a ilco X254. You can get it cut almost anywhere. But locksmiths would probably have it.    Bionic Bob  COG & AMA member  First C14 CDA member #0220  08 C14,03 Mean Streak, & 86 C10  

Offline speedwgn

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 9060
Extra Key for Bags & Gas
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:21:00 pm »
Excellent ideaa to have the key and the credit card together for gassing up. Much better than hauling the wallet out each time, with the possibility that I'll drop it here or there.    Good tip, Thanks.  

Locksmith

Extra Key for Bags & Gas
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »
There are two different keyblanks for the C14.  Make sure you get the right one.  

Offline Dwmadsen

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Extra Key for Bags & Gas
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 02:40:54 pm »
Long story short, my saddlebag came off and $750 later I have a new one. The problem is the locking mechanism from Kawasaki came with a "B" cylinder lock and the bike has "A" keys. The dealer said there is not a choice to order an "A" or a "B", they just get what they get. Yes, this seems lame but nevertheless debating it does not solve my problem. The dealer did say that the opposite situation occurred about 18 months ago with another customer. So...is there someone in the community that needs a "B" cyclinder? And is there anyone with an "A" cyclinder they are not using. If I can find an "A" lock cylinder I am happy to pass along my "B" lock cylinder to someone who can use it.

Online connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 02:54:32 pm »
I did the same as Cap'n Bob.   Had spares made at a locksmith.
But I went a couple of steps further.

I bought a leather key ring with pocket.
I have the FOB in the pocket, and the spare keys are attached.
   {Plus I attached a tag that sez; $50 reward if found.}

I also cut the tops off of 2 keys, epoxied the keys into knobs, and leave them in my bags.
     {remove them when parked overnight}.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 03:43:37 pm »
Long story short, my saddlebag came off and $750 later I have a new one. The problem is the locking mechanism from Kawasaki came with a "B" cylinder lock and the bike has "A" keys. The dealer said there is not a choice to order an "A" or a "B", they just get what they get. Yes, this seems lame but nevertheless debating it does not solve my problem. The dealer did say that the opposite situation occurred about 18 months ago with another customer. So...is there someone in the community that needs a "B" cyclinder? And is there anyone with an "A" cyclinder they are not using. If I can find an "A" lock cylinder I am happy to pass along my "B" lock cylinder to someone who can use it.

Not true!  There are TWO types of key, as noted the "A" and the "B" style.  You (or those idiots) can order either one:

1) KEY-LOCK,BLANK,#A 27008-0048

2) KEY-LOCK,BLANK,#B 27008-0049

If you want the mini-key like in the "credit card" FOB:

1) KEY-LOCK,BLANK,#A,SPARE FOB 27008-0062

2) KEY-LOCK,BLANK,#B,SPARE FOB 27008-0063

You might consider finding a better dealer!
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Online connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 04:08:14 pm »
Dwmadsen, what year is your bike?
If new, the Dealer is supposed to give you a key (extra FOB} for the bags and the gas tank.
They should match.  If they don't, he gave you the wrong bags...

If not new and bags don't match, don't order blanks from Kawasaki.
Just take the key you have to a lock smith.
 {if needed} He can find the alternate key and make you keys for your bags.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4478
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 09:27:43 pm »
I bought 10 keys online for $20 and h
ad a local locksmith cut me 3 keys
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 Speed Triple (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline Dwmadsen

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 11:42:38 pm »
The issue is NOT the key, but the lock cylinder. The A and B cylinders are mirror images of each other. I need to find a "Type A lock cylinder"... the key is the easy part. The saddlebag locking mechanism (per the Kawa dealer) ships with either an A or B cylinder but cannot be specified. They did order a Type A lock cylinder for the gas cap in hopes that the gas cap and saddlebags use the same cylinder, but alas, the cylinder for the saddlebag is about 1/3" longer and the longer tumbler is necessary. I noticed the Kawa top bag can be ordered with either a Type A or Type B cylinder, but this cylinder is similar in length to the shorter gas cap.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 11:44:58 pm »
Got tired of taking the stove knob in and out each time to access the gas tank or the panniers.    Ordered a key blank from my dealer, had it cut to match the spare provided with the bike.    Works great. Now I can leave the stove knob in place and the FOB in my pocket.    A small, but meaningful, step in the great key battles... :8|:

I went to a locksmith and had the closest thing they could get to the small key fob key, but in a larger size so it wouldnt hide behind a blade of GRASS if i dropped it.

I also tied a zip tie to it and I leave it in the glove box when I'm riding so I can leave the key in the ignition as well.  Opens the gas cap and bags no problem.