Author Topic: Extra Kipass fob 2009 Concours  (Read 280 times)

Offline Steve

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Extra Kipass fob 2009 Concours
« on: October 03, 2018, 12:24:50 am »
When I traded for this bike I got only one  FOB. Been concerned about losing it without backup one.
Tried all the key places here and  probably our best locksmith . They said it would be trial and error and expensive. I'm always afraid to go to dealers but I did today.  He ordered me one for 40 bucks. I never thought to ask what they are going to charge to program it.  :'(
I wonder if this will be considered an emergency FOB and only will work holding it next to the switch? The key for the seat and saddlebags that slides in it was an extra 20 bucks but I already had some made for about 3 dollars.
I told myself I wasn't going to start spending a bunch of money on this bike like I did my last one but I already have.  Wonder what causes that?  :-[  One thing for sure it won't be for loud exhaust.  Freedom two into exhaust  on my last one. Yea it sounds cool but that racket gets old really quick. Getting older may make you wiser but doesn't help any keeping up with your keys or anything else for that matter! Lol
Appreciate all the info I get from people here.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
Re: Extra Kipass fob 2009 Concours
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 12:49:45 am »
Yep...emergency FOB and only will work holding it next to the switch...the real thing is close to $300...still, way better than nothing!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 01:01:03 am »
When I traded for this bike I got only one  FOB. Been concerned about losing it without backup one.
Tried all the key places here and  probably our best locksmith . They said it would be trial and error and expensive. I'm always afraid to go to dealers but I did today.  He ordered me one for 40 bucks. I never thought to ask what they are going to charge to program it.  :'(
I wonder if this will be considered an emergency FOB and only will work holding it next to the switch? The key for the seat and saddlebags that slides in it was an extra 20 bucks but I already had some made for about 3 dollars.
I told myself I wasn't going to start spending a bunch of money on this bike like I did my last one but I already have.  Wonder what causes that?  :-[  One thing for sure it won't be for loud exhaust.  Freedom two into exhaust  on my last one. Yea it sounds cool but that racket gets old really quick. Getting older may make you wiser but doesn't help any keeping up with your keys or anything else for that matter! Lol
Appreciate all the info I get from people here.

Bummer..
 just yesterday I posted a bunch of info on this,
It really would be worth it to ask, before spending money... as you now know.
the passive fob you bought, without a key needs to be programmed using a KDS3, probably at your nearest Kaw dealer, that service will probably run $80-$100,
on top of that, the key you bought, as you see, will not fit into the FOB..and must be cut from the FOB key, ir Stove Knob key as a master.. additional money...

read this closely...

http://forum.cog-online.org/general-information-57/key-blanks-75052/msg647429/#msg647429

also read this
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/cheap-'easy'-passive-fob-spare-no-kds-required/msg649732/#msg649732

it has info on 'cloning' chips, available keys, and everything else you needed to know..
sorry you spent the money, might save more by using the info  provided, than spending it to get the passive FOB programmed at this point.

good luck

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Steve

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:02:58 pm »
I read that Ki-pass things to know several times but never seen what you just sent. I'm not too worried about the seat , tank, saddlebag keys. I will wire a spare somewhere on the bike. Yea, dealer never mentioned the programming part.  Guess I was thinking that was part of it. Dealer here is small. I like to give him a little business when I can afford it.
Printed out all that info on the keys. I'll probably go back and see if the locksmith can program one of those chips for the future.
Thanks for the info.

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:42:04 pm »
Hmmm,  When I salvaged my '13 C14 and bought a '12 it did not come with the E-fob. I happened to retain the '13s E-fob (thank goodness) and took to it to my local (Bellevue Kawasaki) shop where they used their KDS to set it up to the new bike at no cost.  Not sure if they are just really nice guys or what because I have never bought a bike from them, just tires and mounting, which they do a great job with.  Took all of 5 minutes and that included booting up the KDS computer...

Good luck!
Gilbysan
gilbysan

β€œIn theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:16:01 pm »
that's what I call the difference between a dealer, and a GREAT dealer, who want's your future business...

Nice to hear, as these good guys are in short supply, and are at a 10 to 1 odds these days..
keep using his services...and keep him in business.

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :beerchug: :)

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...