Author Topic: Factory Windscreens  (Read 231 times)

Offline Steve

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Factory Windscreens
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:46:06 am »
Any of you guys put a newer larger windscreen on older 1400?  Measured one on a new 2017 at dealer. It is about 3" taller and little wider than the 09. It also had the adjustable vent. That would be nice to have. Think I read that Kawasaki says the older brackets won't support the added wind pressure. They also say a lot of other things you cannot do that people do. Guess if it did work it would be cheaper to trade motorcycles it would be so expensive.
What year did they start maker them taller? Found out the more I ride the more I get tired of the air off it hit right in my face. You can close your face shield and wind noise is still terrible. When you scroutch down it gets quiet.
Wish I could have traded for at least a 2010 but not the deal that was on the table. Anyway I'm asking and getting ready to be blown out again.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Factory Windscreens
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:10:19 am »
I have a 09 and I still have the stock screen it came with. I got tired of the bugs hitting me mid face shield. The 10 to 14's windshield is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches taller than the 09's.  I figured this shield would put the bugs over the top of the helmet.  Ah well no it put the bugs in the upper part of the face shield. Oh well I like the shield the 10's came with and run it most of the time. The short one gets pit on when it's hot, very hot. I also have a Cee Bailey's which is taller than the 10's. Not sure of the model but I use it in the colder weather. It doesn't take much to get the helmet out of the air flow. It is also tall enough that on a hot day, I can't get it low enough to provide cooling air. And the bugs go over the top. Down side is I get cold air up my back even more so with the addition of a trunk.

The windshield you are taking abut 15 and newer ,can be mounted on a 09 by buying the mounting parts used to mount it on the current C14. Good luck. Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 01:46:20 pm »
I bought the taller windshield that Kawasaki offered shortly after buying by '08. It is noticeably taller and wider and when it's fully up it almost kills all the wind noise on the highway.

Offline Steve

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 12:04:45 am »
Thanks for the info.