Author Topic: Fairings and canyon cage question! Help!  (Read 292 times)

Offline Shredran

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Fairings and canyon cage question! Help!
« on: June 01, 2018, 01:32:00 am »
Hey COG fellows, I’ve got to do my valves soon and I am wondering if there is a way to avoid having to remove my Canyon cages? I have an 09 and have never removed the fairings yet... from watching the install process of the canyon cages via YouTube it looks like a total pain in the a** to have to remove and re-do in addition to  spending hours just to get to the engine and valves. Let me know if there is some sort of hack that I can do to avoid removing the canyon cages please :). Thanks!

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
Re: Fairings and canyon cage question! Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 08:50:19 am »
Yeah, just cut the little tab on the mid fairing where the top bar goes thru the fairing. That's the only place where the fairing is captured by the CC. Very easy.

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9318
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:11:34 am »
Thats a negitive. The cages have to be removed to get the upper mounts off so that means the one rear mount bolt also. I do support the engine and replace the rear mount bolt with the stock for the duration of the work. I also replace the first upper mount before removing the rear mount bolt. It has kept any alingment issues at bay for me.

Offline suprPHREAK

• Training Wheels
  • Yeah sure, let's go there!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 01:00:55 pm »
Yup, cages have to come off to do the top end work.

That said, I also cut a slit in the mid fairing to get it off easily for other work. You can't even see the cut when it's all together.
2008 C14 (50K)
2014 Hyperstrada (garbage) (4.5K)/2007 ZX14 (104K)/2005 ZX6R (63.5K)
2004 SV650 (30K)/2003 ZZR250 (15K)/1996 VFR750 (15K)
-------
73% of the way to the moon!

Offline Shredran

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 05:42:39 pm »
Does anyone have a photo of the exact spot you did the cut/slit ? I understand where you're describing, but a photo would be sooooo helpful too just to ensure I don't do anything wrong. Thanks! Blows that I have to remove cages for the top end work :(

Offline Texas Concours14

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9760
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 06:06:58 pm »
At the risk of inciting wrath for linking to the other site (I don't know or care about the political intrigue; I use both sites for info):

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12913.0

Make the cuts and you won't regret it. I used a dremel with tape wrapped around both sides of the cut site to reduce risk of cracking the plastic. You don't want to take the canyon cages off unless you really have to, and cutting the fairing allows easy fairing removal = saves a lot of time for doing normal maintenance (air filter, coolant changes, etc).
2010 Concours 14

Offline Shredran

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 01:23:39 pm »
Thank you so much. Hopefully the three photos the guy attached on the other site will suffice for allowing me to see how to do it on mine. Really really dreading this valve job

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 02:06:42 pm »
And when the fairing goes back on, it's handy to have a few extra well nuts around. Murphy has them at a very good price. Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki