Author Topic: Farewell COG  (Read 4682 times)

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Farewell COG
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2017, 03:43:50 pm »
Steve, I've been wanting to post something similar, but didn't know the words..
I think that was well said.

Now, lets get back to being COG... 
     Join for the Bike, stay for the people!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline WANDRNG

• Street Cruiser
  • SouthWest AAD
    • Wandering Back Roads
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12077
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2017, 04:02:00 pm »
The applicable forum rule to portions this discussion

7- Advertising - Any subscriber may advertise motorcycle related products and services in the relevant COG Mart section of the forum. Industry Members only may ‘reference’ their products/services in a relevant reply to a thread, any advertising should be done as an afterthought to providing members genuine help or assistance.

All the forum rules: http://cogmc.com/forum-rules

Life is too short to live the same day twice.
2015 Concours 14 -- 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 -- 2003 Honda Magna 750 -- 2 V65 Magnas
Wandering Back Roads: RRs -- Wandering the Northwest -- Heading East Out West

Offline Not So Wild Turkey

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10559
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2017, 06:15:10 pm »
I for one almost never post anything on the forum not because I've been attacked but because I've seen others attacked for their opinions and or questions.  I don't know Fred well but my experience with him is all positive.  From a moderators and or a BOD view I would think it's never as simple as it seems.  Keep in mind none of us has all the available information at our disposal.  What is as simple as it seems is we as individuals could embrace diversity, dissimilar view points, and disagreement without personal  conflict or hatefulness. We all have both something to learn and to teach each other.

2012 Concours Arabian Red & 80 Suzuki GS1100E
2003 VTX1800R Black / 1979 Suzuki GS1000E / 1969 Norton Commando
Yamaha DT3 250 / Kawasaki 100 G4TR

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2017, 06:32:10 pm »
I for one almost never post anything on the forum not because I've been attacked but because I've seen others attacked for their opinions and or questions.  I don't know Fred well but my experience with him is all positive.  From a moderators and or a BOD view I would think it's never as simple as it seems.  Keep in mind none of us has all the available information at our disposal.  What is as simple as it seems is we as individuals could embrace diversity, dissimilar view points, and disagreement without personal  conflict or hatefulness. We all have both something to learn and to teach each other.

AMEN tamed Turkey!  ;)
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2017, 08:51:15 pm »
Maybe we can just let the moderators be moderators?  Send a pm to the section moderator, or a pm to the person you think is offending you or breaking the rules.  It shouldn't be done on the forum for all of us to see.  What I see as a real issue is that the moderators seem to let these public pissing contests go on in the first place.  What goes on behind the scenes I don't know.  But when we see the escalation on the forums, there's a problem.  Does the moderator have the power to remove the offending post?   I think so.  but there's been a lot of crap posted and just left there for all to see.  I think after a while, and sometimes crass behavior ignored, we set ourselves up for problems.  You can't put the genie back in the bottle.  Is the issue just a lack of moderators on at any given time?

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2017, 09:24:38 pm »
I personally don't think we probably pay the Mod's enough to keep the children in line, and we shouldn't need to!

I know I wouldn't want that job, so I don't really feel I can complain. 

This is after all a volunteer operation.
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2017, 12:19:57 am »
I personally don't think we probably pay the Mod's enough to keep the children in line, and we shouldn't need to!

I know I wouldn't want that job, so I don't really feel I can complain. 

This is after all a volunteer operation.
+1
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2017, 12:23:18 am »
Yes it's a shame! I will miss his wisdom.

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2017, 01:22:36 am »
Maybe we can just let the moderators be moderators?  Send a pm to the section moderator, or a pm to the person you think is offending you or breaking the rules.  It shouldn't be done on the forum for all of us to see.  What I see as a real issue is that the moderators seem to let these public pissing contests go on in the first place.  What goes on behind the scenes I don't know.  But when we see the escalation on the forums, there's a problem.  Does the moderator have the power to remove the offending post?   I think so.  but there's been a lot of crap posted and just left there for all to see.  I think after a while, and sometimes crass behavior ignored, we set ourselves up for problems.  You can't put the genie back in the bottle.  Is the issue just a lack of moderators on at any given time?

^^
+100!

Offline Kman

• Moped
  • COG#: 10569
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2017, 08:26:10 am »

+1
2012 Black, PR4GTs, Guhl Flash, CS1 Slip-on, Blaster X Brake Flasher, Cree 10W Lights, H4 Extreme Bulbs, Baldwin Heated Seat, Screaming Banshee Horn, MRA VarioTouring Screen, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, ProjectD Radiator Guard, Front & Rear Fender Extenders, Techspec Snakeskin Saddlebag Protectors, Techmount GPS Bracket, OEM Tank Guard, 47L Top Bag, Helmet Locks, ProjectD Kickstand Bigfoot

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2017, 12:44:51 pm »
Doubling moderator/officer pay looks like this:  2 X $0 = $0         :nananana:     

The best pay you can give these people is 1) thank them once in a while,       2)  Offer to help or help when asked.  Pretty easy, huh?

If you have a concern, DO report it to a moderator using the "click link" in the lower right hand of the page. Those reports do not go unnoticed and unaddressed, but please remember that all of the moderators are volunteers who are engaged in other things like jobs, family, and the occasional motorcycle ride, so you won't likely get instant response to your message. Sometimes people are busy and sometimes they are just doing research, discussing the situation, and considering a measured response.

Let's remember that this forum is where many of us first "land" when exploring and learn (to some degree) what COG might be and is provided by the club for members and forum members both. COG is a club and a society of peers. Anyone is welcome to step up and volunteer or speak to an officer at any time about anything, but the rules of normal society (including civility, politeness, and respect) still need to apply.  Electronic communications can be cold, sterile, and distant and mis-interpretation abounds. How many times have we/you maybe sent an email at work or a text and instantly wished we had waited? Many in my case. I'm learning (finally) to "write and wait." Club members get an annual directory with phone numbers, so pick up the phone.

Almost everyone who comes here to the forum and goes to events usually gets the "real deal of COG fellowship. If you haven't tried it, consider it. Even so, make it a point to go out of your way to meet folks when you do. It took me a while to warm up to the club, but I'm glad I did. I actually went to two National rallys before I met enough people to be comfortable, but that's on me and I know it. We have (mostly) nice folks here, just lots of "personality." If you reach out to most of them, they'll respond. I now have made friends all over that I'd never have had if I'd just bought a Connie, read the threads, drained the tech knowledge I wanted, and faded away. What a fricking waste of an opportunity.  I'd never have met Ted, for instance.  :))

Your moderators and officers are volunteers and from what I've seen, all have the club and club member's best interests at heart. Do we need more volunteers? Oh yes. The club needs people who will do just ONE thing or maybe do MANY things. There's a spot for all who want to make this a fun place. For instance, if you don't see a ride in your area, organize one, post a thread and voila, you're a volunteer. Yes, I need to do more of those and I'm thinking of setting up a local breakfast ride for next Saturday (hint, hint). I will and if people show up, great. If they don't, I'm going to have a good breakfast and go for a ride. Either way, I win!

Anyone who wants to help in a large or small way, can certainly offer to help. If you're waiting to be asked to help, here it is: "Will you help with at least ONE thing this  year?" There, if you read that, you can't say no one ever asked you.  ;D 

Sure, some conditions may apply to certain things like requirements for club membership, but that's not for all volunteer gigs and is NOT a big deal to almost anyone who wants to help. There are clubs in your community if it's like where I live, that cost thousands to belong to, but not this club. It's a deal-about the cost of one oil change a year, or two tanks of gas, or well, you get the idea. The price is not the barrier to entry.

Everyone who volunteers is busy, so what are you doing to make this a fun place to hang out? 

Hey, I gotta go work, so I can pay for my riding habit.  Have fun, y'all.    ;)
2014 C-14

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2017, 04:30:00 pm »
Very sad to see Fred go.

I appreciate everything he has done and have benefitted from his presence. Being an infrequent contributor here I look to guys like Fred who lead the way in knowledge. I appreciate everyone who contributes and has an opinion. I have been to a couple of Nationals and enjoyed my time.

Thanks to every last one of you who mans the moderation, check in, organizational needs and all the other things that it takes to make COG run.... I have not found another group that has been as friendly and given as freely as those who are here. As an oldest child that frequently overextends my capabilities I have had to choose what I can volunteer to....so I really appreciate those who have the time to give....unfortunately those are also the ones that are in most danger of doing too much and getting burnt out.

Sorry to see Fred go and second the emotion that it will be a worse place with his absence.  Appreciate that Steve and others have come on here and given us a wide view of the situation.

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2017, 05:59:42 pm »
I understand how unfriendly posts can build up in a perspective. 
On another forum myself and others used the 'ignore this member' function -
and after a long time the other poster was banned.

This is indeed sad news Fred!
I've always enjoyed your articles and insight.
If you change your mind, I for one will welcome you!

That goes for me, too! 
We are poorer for your decision, Fred.  Best.
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver.

Offline ZGirl

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 5995
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2017, 07:07:06 pm »
Like every event, there's more to it than what most of y'all think.

................................................................ All the stuff in the middle........................................

So before you take sides or dogpile, think about it. It's easy to armchair the whole affair, a little different if you know the facts.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  That was well said.  I have met, enjoyed and benefited from both Fred and MOB.  I have admiration for both.  It's just always sad when family argues during the holidays.  (Too much like my real family!)

Thanks for everything ALL of you hard working volunteers have done and do!

:great:
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177  2003 Candy Cardinal Red "Dances with Winds"  2004 Shiney, Yellow SV-650  "Princess Buttercup", 2009 DL650 Candy Max Orange "Diefenbaker"

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11459
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2017, 10:39:22 pm »
Like every event, there's more to it than what most of y'all think.

................................................................ All the stuff in the middle........................................

So before you take sides or dogpile, think about it. It's easy to armchair the whole affair, a little different if you know the facts.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  That was well said.  I have met, enjoyed and benefited from both Fred and MOB.  I have admiration for both.  It's just always sad when family argues during the holidays.  (Too much like my real family!)

Thanks for everything ALL of you hard working volunteers have done and do!

:great:
+1000!

Without the contributions from these members our C14s  would be just good, not GREAT!!

Norm
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:42:59 pm by Skiee »
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2017, 12:53:33 pm »
This is the thread that keeps on giving.

Offline smooth_operator

• government isn't the solution to our problems. government is the problem!
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10773
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2017, 05:01:11 am »
Fred, so sorry to hear of your leaving. You were always helpful and supportive to me whenever I had a problem. Good luck to you sir.
75 MT 125 Esinore   73 CB 360T  82 Virago 920  08 Metropolitan II "step through"  2012 C14  Candy Arabian Red

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties that standing armies.
--Thomas Jefferson
 CDA 553                               END THE FED!!

Offline Terrynyc

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 792
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2017, 07:32:10 pm »
Sometimes I REALLY hate this forum.  Good luck Fred and thanks for all you've done for the club.  Ride on! :motonoises:
Terry Faherty, COG #792, AMA #526406, CDA #123, '05 Yamaha FZ-1, NYC Metro AAD and chief bottle washer.    Bikes may change but a COGer forever!