Author Topic: Farewell COG  (Read 4683 times)

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
  • Membership Level: Tech Editor
Farewell COG
« on: November 26, 2017, 01:56:38 am »
I’ve been a member of this group now for over 20 years and an industry member for 6 or 7 years.  I’ve served this club as AAD for five or six years, AD for 2 years, and Tech Ed for about 8 years.  I have hosted a National Rally, untold numbers of regional rallies, and I founded the Wildflower Rally in the Texas Hill Country as well as the rally at Jacks in Arkansas that both continue to this day. I’ve donated free merchandise to numerous Nationals, held tech sessions, hosted events at my home, and worked with every single Executive Director since Tom Adams took over back in the 90’s.  I’ve been a member on the old listserver since about 1995, and have written so many technical articles and provided advice and help on threads that I would not even venture a guess at the number. I completely re authored a whole new Chalkdust for the C14 and have written technical content for the Concourier since I took over the Tech Ed position in 2009. I've sat in on COG board meetings off and on for over 18 years and have helped the organization through some turbulent times in the past. I’m an engineer by trade and have been working on bikes since I can’t remember. In the course of the last 3 years I’ve serviced over 200 motorcycles from folks all over the country, and have even worked on bikes folks have brought me from overseas.  Motorcycles are in my blood, and I can’t get them out.  Like many of you, I spend much of my time finding ways to improve them, customize them, service them, and make them work better than they were originally designed.  I’ve owned a total of 5 Concours motorcyles, 3 C10’s and 2 C14’s and I’ve worked on countless others members bikes.  I worked with the first person (Don Guhl) to crack the C14 ECU and we worked together to develop a way to reflash them that later became widespread and used by other vendors.  I have had the equipment and ability to reflash Concours ECU’s for free for some time now.  And yes, I made and sold a set of videos to try to help show folks how to work on their own bike, which now appears to have become something that is being leveraged against me to force me out of this organization.

Over the past year it has become apparent that I can no longer serve as your Technical Editor. Anything I would dare to post on the forum would be severely scrutinized, criticized, and torn apart by persons who are trying to force me to leave for their own purposes.  Knowing this, I have chosen not to post on this forum for some time, as it would obviously only end one way.  In light of all this, I am now far too soured to return. I couldn’t come back if I wanted to, my attitude will never be the same and I would be no good to you. So this will be my last post on this forum. I’m retiring from COG, resigning as Tech Ed, and as soon as the current supply of my videos that are already printed are sold out, I will not be making anymore. They will be forever removed from the market. I’m done. It’s been a fun ride, but it’s clearly time for me to move on. I’ve made a lot of friends in this club, and it will be sad for me to go. I wish you all the best.

Farewell and God Bless you all.

Fred Harmon
COG 2170
AAD, AD, Tech Ed
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline redline

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7067
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Farewell COG
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 02:05:37 am »
Fred, don't know what to say or think reading this.
Very sorry to see you leave.

Ted
COG# 8260    2013 C14 "C-YA"

Offline ZXtasy

• Mini Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 02:09:30 am »
Dang! Was it something I said?

Good luck to you, life is too sort deal with the bullsh*t.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 04:11:49 am »
Too bad one member can cause this. Maybe he should leave and you can stay! He's a pain anyway. I have your videos and they have helped through two valve sets and various other things. Thanks for all you have contributed, Good luck in future endeavors and never say never!

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 04:26:43 am »
Fred, I have a copy of your cds and they are awesome. I'm sure sad to see you leave. Wish you all the best, and hope to see you back one day!
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Texas Concours14

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9760
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 04:31:09 am »
Fred - Thanks for your contributions over the years. Indeed it is too bad that one poster (I think long-timers all know who) can drive a highly valued member away with non-stop unwarranted harping. The board has suffered for not having your input during the past year. Many of us have your videos; not being a mechanic I have found them to be extremely helpful in covering content that the manual does not (e.g., many details pertaining to valve adjustment). I hope you continue to perform C14 maintenance work!

2010 Concours 14

Offline Freddy

• Moped
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 08:31:21 am »
Fred, understood.  Thanks from afar for your input over the years.  Ride safe.   :beerchug:

Freddy
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 10:16:40 am »
Fred, I know how you feel. As soon as I saw that post and your response in the valve adjust thread I thought something like this was going to happen. I'm very sorry to see you leave.  No way I do the valve adjust on the C14 without your video. I know what needs to be done but I doubt it will be unless others are driven away. Maybe they will be. Maybe I'll decide to sit it out come renewal time and believe me they will know why if they bother to ask. 
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4478
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 10:53:41 am »
Fred it trully makes me sad to see this.  You have been an invaluable asset to COG and will be sorely missed.

Thank you for what you have done for COG and I hate to see this is happening.

I wish you the best and really wish you would change your mind, but it appears you won't.

I hope you leave your website up as it is an great help in doing work on the Connie.  I used it a few months ago to install an Ohlins shock and your pictures and step by step instructions made the install a snap.

I know you said it is your last post but hopefully you will come back to read what is said.

Again, thanks
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 Speed Triple (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 11:06:35 am »
Sorry to hear that Fred. But it looks like this forum has run its course. I came to the same conclusion myself and did not renew  my membership this year. Like I said in an earlier post. It appears that some members are just lying in wait to attack others. Especially new members. Any subject, topic or idea that they don't agree with becomes an open Assault. Sadly but it's just the sign of the times. See you all on the road.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 11:07:30 am »
Fred, I already knew your were the most important contributor that COG ever had. Thanks for reminding us of your vast number of contributions.

Please let COG find their way forward concerning this negative situation. We hope to welcome you back when the club gets this sorted out.  Given the circumstances you described, no one can blame you for your decision.  Hopefully this is a wake up call and will help us improve as an owners group. You will be missed and I sincerely hope you come back. Through your efforts, you have helped so many of us in ways that we cannot express. Take care.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 11:42:49 am »
I don't even own a C-14 and this pi**as me off. How can one member using harassment and intimidation be allowed to make a contributing member quit.  Fred your input will be missed.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 12:09:45 pm »
I'm sure sorry to see this happen, I can't say I blame you though. Your contributions to this forum have been great & will be missed. There have been many good members leave already because of him. I'm sure there will be plenty more to leave before it's over. I've considered it myself because of this type of thing.

Hopefully we'll see you back when the board wakes up & gets rid of this A hole.

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Bicycle
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • COG#: 12503
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 01:09:06 pm »
So, let me get this straight... We are a group, owned by and controlled by the members, and we actually let someone join, be an azzhat, and that forces a most valuable member to tuck his tail and run?

I admit, I don't know the whole story, but, it wouldn't be too hard to tell the NFG to "please accept this refund of any dues you have paid, your membership is revoked, and your forum access is recinded..."  In other words, thanks but no thanks, now GTFO...

Maybe I'm missing something here.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:26:21 am by rrsperry »

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Bicycle
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • COG#: 12503
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 01:13:43 pm »
Oh, As a thanks, I just ordered a set of videos. I really hope you reconsider.

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Moped
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 01:16:16 pm »
I'm sure sorry to see this happen, I can't say I blame you though. Your contributions to this forum have been great & will be missed. There have been many good members leave already because of him. I'm sure there will be plenty more to leave before it's over. I've considered it myself because of this type of thing.

Hopefully we'll see you back when the board wakes up & gets rid of this A hole.

Cliff   :beerchug:
+1   :beerchug:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 01:17:00 pm »
Sorry to see you go Fred. I'm hardly on here anymore for some of the same reasons, I used to log on multiple times a day & now I'm on maybe once a week. I'll have a hard decision when my membership comes up next month. Thanks foe all you have done  :beerchug: 
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline jas

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 10108
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 01:20:03 pm »
Wow, very sad...  I had an extensive post ready to go yesterday regarding the current situation on this forum, but didn't hit the post button. This forum is supposed to be about members sharing their experiences relative to bike maintenance, parts, or any other damn thing they think others should know. A very sad situation when members feel they should not post because of the "I'm right and you're wrong" BS. Fred, I appreciated your contributions over the years and missed your posts over the last year or so.  I purchased your videos and they helped me take on the valve adjust earlier this year.  To say that the price of the videos was worth every cent is an understatement.  Thanks and good luck!  Jeff

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 01:22:05 pm »
So, let me get this straight... We are a group, owned by and controlled by the members, and we actually let someone join, be an azzhat, and that forces a most valuable member to tuck his tail and run?

WTF? Did DJ Trump join, and abuse you on twitter?

I admit, I don't know the whole story, but, it wouldn't be too hard to tell the NFG to "please accept this refund of any dues you have paid, your membership is revoked, and your forum access is recinded..."  In other words, thanks but no thanks, now GTFO...

Really? This adds value to the discussion?

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 01:22:56 pm »
I didn't renew this year for the same basic reasons Fred is leaving.  It just isn't right for COG to allow some members to act the way that they do.  A bad apple or two is ruining everything.  Everyone know this, yet it continues.  I do not even want to post a question or comment because I do not want to hear their superior dribble.  In contrast, I remember goofing up a little project, and you kindly told me "Don't worry about it, it was an easy mistake to make". 

I see this as an important time for the organization.  I believe that the organization will suffer greatly if things are allowed to continue the way that they are. 

Fred helped me, without constant reminder of how great he was.  The videos are awesome, not just for the content, but for how they get me into the correct mindset before I attempt mechanical work.  Slow, careful, maybe a little over-the-top slow and careful for me, but after watching I am sure that I am a better mechanic than before.  I'd love to see COG step up and make things right.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 01:23:28 pm »

WTF? Did DJ Trump join, and abuse you on twitter?

"WTF? Did DJ Trump join, and abuse you on twitter? "

This was also unnecessary and probably against the rules as well. Everyone makes mistakes (myself very much included). The person in question is also a long standing member and contributor. It's not quite so cut and dry as you make it.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 01:49:24 pm »
   Fred, I have been there as you know and have also taken breaks. I'm not saying That I was always the perfect little angel in anything I was involved in. I'm sure you can also admit not by no means being perfect. With that said though, Your assertions that there was some sort of grudge against you has come across to me as true for years now. Obviously you know this as well.  The person in question stated it is and has always been about your selling a product in the wrong forum section. Although technically correct. It is by far not the only example that has happened either directly or non directly for years by folks. I would expect a little leeway and definitely with some long term members/contributors. It is also very apparent to me that it has been about anything Fred did since Fred became the tech editor. At least IMO. So no I do not see it is/was only about selling products.
   The person in question is not the first person to act this way. A lot of folks have had moments they are not proud of on the forum. This particular person has basically been this way as long as I have been around, which has been a fair amount of time now. Certain people can't help themselves in the need to be right and the authority on all matters. The problem is they are convinced they are right no matter how wrong they actually are. The same person quoted me just the other day to in what came across to me as his need to show his superiority over my post that contradicted his post. The problem is both his posts are IMO, wrong. Or the wiring diagrams for the C10 are. Who knows maybe they are and he is right.
   With that said, I hope you change your mind about retiring from the club. Maybe bringing this to light may actually shine a light that this person may finally see and make him realize. Probably not, but there is always hope. None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. By all means that definitely includes me. People can and do change sometimes. Like other things, the first step is realizing there is a problem. And a lot of times folks don't realize there is a problem until a group of others point it out. If this puts me in the category of band wagon, so be it. I hate seeing people leave for reasons that can be corrected.

Offline Turtle

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 01:55:50 pm »

A 7000 post member isn't a FNG.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 02:19:20 pm »
A step backwards for COG, thanks for all the past contributions.  :sign0098:  :campfire:

See ya over on the Wing forums Fred, getting exciting over there with less than 2 months to go!  >:D :)
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 02:29:26 pm »
   Fred, I have been there as you know and have also taken breaks. I'm not saying That I was always the perfect little angel in anything I was involved in. I'm sure you can also admit not by no means being perfect. With that said though, Your assertions that there was some sort of grudge against you has come across to me as true for years now. Obviously you know this as well.  The person in question stated it is and has always been about your selling a product in the wrong forum section. Although technically correct. It is by far not the only example that has happened either directly or non directly for years by folks. I would expect a little leeway and definitely with some long term members/contributors. It is also very apparent to me that it has been about anything Fred did since Fred became the tech editor. At least IMO. So no I do not see it is/was only about selling products.
   The person in question is not the first person to act this way. A lot of folks have had moments they are not proud of on the forum. This particular person has basically been this way as long as I have been around, which has been a fair amount of time now. Certain people can't help themselves in the need to be right and the authority on all matters. The problem is they are convinced they are right no matter how wrong they actually are. The same person quoted me just the other day to in what came across to me as his need to show his superiority over my post that contradicted his post. The problem is both his posts are IMO, wrong. Or the wiring diagrams for the C10 are. Who knows maybe they are and he is right.
   With that said, I hope you change your mind about retiring from the club. Maybe bringing this to light may actually shine a light that this person may finally see and make him realize. Probably not, but there is always hope. None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. By all means that definitely includes me. People can and do change sometimes. Like other things, the first step is realizing there is a problem. And a lot of times folks don't realize there is a problem until a group of others point it out. If this puts me in the category of band wagon, so be it. I hate seeing people leave for reasons that can be corrected.

Can't comment on the C10 wiring diagram(s), as I haven't gone through them with a fine-toothed comb, but there is an error in the schematic of the J-Box. Found that when I was doing my piece on them in my column.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC