Author Topic: FI error  (Read 1088 times)

Offline tomde

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
FI error
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:10:15 am »
On my way in to work this morning I got a "FI error" message.  It only lasted long enough to read the message and didn't come back, I road for another 30 minutes.

The error came on a smooth road, cruising at 70mph ( indicated ).  Nothing else out of the ordinary.  Is this something that happens?  I'll be checking the battery connections later today.  Anything else I can look at?

Thanks,
Tomde
2017 Big Blue

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
Re: FI error
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:17:41 am »
No big.  Use the forum search feature and read dozens of posts regarding the occurance of random, innocuous FI Error.

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:26:47 am »
A quirk of the gen. 2 C-14's, 2010 and newer. The first gen. bikes did not do this but it is a 'no cost' extra included on all gen.2 bikes.

A software quirk without consequences. No cause for concern or further attention.

Brian

On my way in to work this morning I got a "FI error" message.  It only lasted long enough to read the message and didn't come back, I road for another 30 minutes.

The error came on a smooth road, cruising at 70mph ( indicated ).  Nothing else out of the ordinary.  Is this something that happens?  I'll be checking the battery connections later today.  Anything else I can look at?

Thanks,
Tomde
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline tomde

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:40:06 am »
Thanks guys.  I had a feeling it might be a "normal" feature  ;D

Tomde
2017 Big Blue

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:50:50 am »
Had those happen quite a few times, usually on longer rides (maybe more often but since they last such a short time, it's hard to catch them). Oddly enough, I realized I'm close to high voltage towers when it happens. Maybe some sort of electromagnetic interference...?

who knows, just ride on I tell you! (just kidding, nothing to worry about, like the rest said)  :)
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 01:39:06 pm »
Had it happen to me once.  Just a short blip.
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline Brad

• Bicycle
  • 2011 C14 Black
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 04:42:51 pm »
I have had this several times in my 3 4 years of ownership, and it is not model specific. My previous Kaw 650R did the same thing intermittently. Kawasaki known issue.
When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
 "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
 But when 'tis out and all things righted,
 God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.

Firemen: your worst day is our everyday. 

Volunteer firefighters do it for free!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 04:46:37 pm »
I don't think it's a Kawasaki-specific phenomenon.  My 2005 Honda does this from time to time also.  In fact there is one stretch of road where it will happen 100% of the time.  I am sure it's electrical or RF interference.  Not sure what's at that location that's causing it but it's very repeatable.

Unless the FI light comes on and stays on, it's a transient issue and not an actual error code.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 09:07:26 pm »
I've seen it twice. Once I had just started up and a friend started his C-14 up about 15' away. Flash! 

The second time, I was right beside a cell phone tower on top of a hill near my home. I pass there all the time and only saw it once. Related? Who knows?...
2014 C-14

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 10:56:45 pm »

Thanks,
Tomde

Yes it's not unusual.  Mine has done it a few times.

One time, it was 30 miles out in middle of nowhere with no cell service.  Scared the hell out of me.  But, not a big deal if it goes away.

Offline tomde

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 11:26:15 am »

One time, it was 30 miles out in middle of nowhere with no cell service.  Scared the hell out of me.  But, not a big deal if it goes away.

Yeah, that feeling isn't good... this kind of thing makes me think about it for the whole ride...

Tomde
2017 Big Blue
2017 Big Blue

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 06:29:58 pm »

Yeah, that feeling isn't good... this kind of thing makes me think about it for the whole ride...

Tomde
2017 Big Blue

I see in your signature its a 2017 model, I'm betting you have just over 5k miles on it also, that's when it seems to occur somewhere around 5-8k mile point... don't fret it, its soo common that most people never notice it happen when it does, and seldom does it re occur after 10k miles..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 10:48:03 pm »
I have 12k on my 2013 and it happened once to me coming  back from the COG rally on Sunday.  I just happened to see it, wondered WTF and it went out not to return, at least for the last 120 miles.
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 Moto Guzzi Griso (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 and 2013 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 11:05:55 pm »
I have 12k on my 2013 and it happened once to me coming  back from the COG rally on Sunday.  I just happened to see it, wondered WTF and it went out not to return, at least for the last 120 miles.

I just have 10K on mine and I've only seen it two or three times.  I think one time it flashed the 4 ways.

Offline Road Runner

• Mini Bike
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 11:28:04 pm »
As others a mentioned, no worries. I have 32k on my bike now and maybe see it once every 6 mos more/less. Happened while out in the country recently at just under 32K so it has nothing to do with mileage.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 11:31:46 pm »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I thik its mama Kaw's way of throwing a silly "scare" at ya... had it happen on my '08  @ about 8k, twice in one week... never to appear again.. go figure...
I believe its programmed in, in some way, to a monitoring circuit tied to "miles", and triggers a reboot of system peramiters based on the data collection, for the miles prior, and adjusts some things invisibly, and undetectable in that process, and afterwards never resurfaces.

But then, I know we are all being watched...
Wrapping aluminum foil around your ankles and wrists, and a layer inside the helmet, prevents them from seeing your thoughts...
They ARE watching you...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:38:49 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Road Runner

• Mini Bike
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 11:33:56 pm »
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I thik its mama Kaw's way of throwing a silly "scare" at ya... had it happen on my '08  @ about 8k, twice in one week... never to appear again.. go figure...
I believe its programmed in, in some way, to a monitoring circuit tied to "miles", and triggers a reboot of system peramiters based on the data collection, for the miles prior, and adjusts some things invisibly, and undetectable in that process, and afterwards never resurfaces.

But then, I know we are all being watched...
Wrapping aluminum foil around your ankles and wrists, and a layer inside the helmet, prevents them from seeing your thoughts...
They ARE watching you...

Lol   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Haring_Araw

• Sun King
  • Tricycle
  • COG#: 12677
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 12:49:41 pm »
I get the same thing. It appears for a split second and then goes away every once and a while. I've got just over 7k miles on my bike and I've seen the F1 error 3 or 4 times now(again yesterday) and everything seems to be fine.

2016 Concours 14
2015 Harley Davidson V-Rod Muscle
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Classic - SOLD
2010 Harley Davidson Sportster XR1200 - SOLD

Offline Capn' Kirk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 01:14:50 pm »
Oddly enough, I realized I'm close to high voltage towers when it happens. Maybe some sort of electromagnetic interference...?

Interesting find. This morning I took a route to work that I hadn't taken a long time (and hadn't yet taken with my C14) and while going over the Dumbarton bridge and under the high-tension lines, I got a couple red flashes and a quick FI Error on the display.
2017 C14
Bay Area, CA

Previous bikes: Triumph Trophy SE 1200, Yamaha V Star 1300, Yamaha FJR1300, Yamaha Venture 1200, Yamaha Seca 750, Yamaha Eleven Special, Kawasaki ZX-11, Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, Honda VTX 1300, Honda GL1000 Goldwing, Honda CB750Four, Honda GL500 Silverwing