Author Topic: FI error  (Read 823 times)

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11360
  • Membership Level: Active
FI error
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:24:51 pm »
I put a new battery into my mc tonight. Everything lights up and it cranks over but won't start. Getting FI error indicator. Tries to fire but not enough to start. Any ideas? Want to ride this weekend!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: FI error
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:50:45 pm »
Check the ground terminal where it connects to the frame.  I'm guessing you disturbed it while installing the battery.  Check the one right next to it also.

BTW, you didn't say anything about connecting the battery reversed.  I'm hoping you didn't do that even for a moment.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 11:09:27 pm »
No, definitely no on the reversal thing. I disconnected the ground at the frame and then reconnected it. Disconnected the ground at the batter to connect to the new one then reconnected everything. All connections seem tight.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 11:13:01 pm »
Explain a bit more, please...
Did you walk in, and buy a filled battery?
Did you buy a battery, and fill it? If either, did you allow the battery tio sit on bench, and then charge it to activate the activity in the cells?

If those answers are yes, yes, and no, do so, remove it and do that.. also, its pretty much impossible to remove the battery without removing that ground lead to it... where it attaches to the frame...

So, with that said, remove it, and scrub all the mating points on cables, and battery, with sand paper prior to re installing, after charging...

New batteries, especially ones you add the electrolyte to, need to sit, at least an hour, then be bounced gently and charged..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 11:19:22 pm »
Yes, charged the battery before installing. It sat for 2 days on a charger before being installed. Tested the battery before installing. Was 14.3 volts. So all is good there.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 11:25:42 pm »
The most likely thing is a connection problem and that can cause the FI light to come on as well as cause other various electrical gremlins.  Go back and re-check all the connections to the battery and, as MOB noted, fix the frame connections.  Note that you CANNOT see the corrosion there since it's Aluminum Oxide which looks just like Aluminum.  I like to put a tiny dab of dielectric or just plain axle grease on the terminal to inhibit future corrosion from forming.

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 11:28:13 pm »
Ok, will do that tomorrow. Dark here now and don't have a lighted garage to work in. Thanks for the ideas!

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 06:08:52 pm »
Well, took everything apart. Cleaned terminals, wires etc and still same problem. Getting IF error, cranks over, tries to fire but nothing else. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 10:36:25 pm »
In that case, read out the code:

Push the upper button [A] and lower button for more
than two seconds.
• The service code [C] is displayed on the LCD by the number
of two digits. (The service code of the K-ACT ABS
adds “B" at the left side of the code.)

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 11:51:24 pm »
Will do that in the morning. Is there a fuse that maybe could be blown for the ECU unit?

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 12:41:39 am »
Will do that in the morning. Is there a fuse that maybe could be blown for the ECU unit?

No, I don't think a blown fuse will cause an FI indicator.  Once we know the code the Service Manual may enlighten us as to the fault its reporting.

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 01:01:29 am »
Ok, will check in the am and get back on here with it. It's just too weird. No problems before this. Just installed a new battery!

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 01:46:35 pm »
Trouble code #24.

Offline Bud

• Road Bike

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 02:12:29 pm »
Thanks, I will have to trailer it to the dealership I work at tomorrow. I don't even know where to begin with on something like this. Just think it's too weird all of this happening over putting in a new battery!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 04:36:41 pm »
I'm not exactly sure where the speed sensor wiring travels but is it possible you disconnected it while servicing the battery?  It might be worth checking the battery compartment and wires nearby before you haul the bike off to the dealer.

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 05:47:34 pm »
The only connections to the battery are the positive and negative leads. There are accessory stuff I have on there but they have nothing to do with it. Luckily for me, I work at a dealership and it's only 5 minutes away. I tried it with nothing extra hooked up and it made no difference. Wondering if the fuel injectors are not working. It almost fires but not quite. Oh well, get into the shop and let a mechanic figure it out. Just ruined my whole weekend as the weather up here is beautiful!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 06:22:44 pm »
Well, took everything apart. Cleaned terminals, wires etc and still same problem. Getting IF error, cranks over, tries to fire but nothing else. Any other suggestions? Thanks

What year is this bike.?
I ask, because at some point there was an additional ground wire present just outside the battery, that had a blue molex connectore. It was an additional ground wire. It needs to be plugged in if it is present.
I also ak, did you remove both grounding points at the frame and sand them, or just the one the battery attached to?
Remove and clean the aluminum on that connection, the one to the right of where the battery ground connects... both need clean shiny aluminum to ground on... I've seen both spots on some bikes with paint under that connection, rendering it ineffective for grounding...
An error 24 should not prevent the bike from starting.
But, in looking at the FSM, I see that both ground points are shown in that circuit, so I ask.

Did you "scroll" the codes manually to see if additional codes were present? Sometimes that is required, and may show others that are not popping up automatically... tyhe most common ones are the cam position sensors, which WILL prevent the bike from starting.

The blue connector I mentioned is in the photo below, but if you have a newer model, it may not be present....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:50:13 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline robinl1

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 08:04:53 pm »
It's a 2012. It does not have the blue one in the picture. I did clean both ground points with a wire brush. There were two other codes. Even if I knew what they meant, I probably wouldn't know what to do. I don't have a garage to work in or the necessary tools.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 08:24:54 pm »
It's a 2012. It does not have the blue one in the picture. I did clean both ground points with a wire brush. There were two other codes. Even if I knew what they meant, I probably wouldn't know what to do. I don't have a garage to work in or the necessary tools.

Understood...
But when you come and ask things, its very important to be complete in your findings, even tho you may not know the fixits, some of us do, and the complete list of codes you saw are important, so please give them to us..
Its kinda like going to a doctor, and saying "it hurts when I do this...",   and you already know what the doctors answer is... "don't do that.."

So please, help us to help you, be specific in revalations, things you may not think have an effect, may truely be what we need to answer these things effectively for you.
Give us ALL the codes, and also list what electrical mods you may have done, and where they were attached...
We have seen numerous instances of error codes, and they all mean something, as I noted before, I was betting there was more error codes there, as that speedo code isn't a bike stopper...

Offline Christopher

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 10:58:58 am »
That is some sound advice right there! Good luck finding the issue ('s).

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 12:42:04 pm »
Mob, the codes you speak of, are they available on the earlier gen bike as well?
Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 05:05:58 pm »
Mob, the codes you speak of, are they available on the earlier gen bike as well?

Yes
Procedure and codes can be found in section 3-38 thru 3-44, and individual component analysis and tests follow that by code numbers evoked.

When invoking self test, the multiple codes stored should scroll numerically thru the list, so you can record them... do not press any more buttons once recorded, just turn the key off, they should remain stored for tech analysis during formal inspection.. do not press buttons and switch between modes, as this will prevent you from entering the user self test, and render codes to not be acessable unless a KDS unit is plugged in.

This is from the first gen FSM, I do not have the new gen II/III manual.