Author Topic: Finally a Connie Club member!  (Read 605 times)

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Finally a Connie Club member!
« on: May 24, 2018, 09:11:22 am »
I purchased a 2012 C14 (Fastest color, black. Obviously) on Tuesday afternoon! I am extremely impressed with this Fat Ninja. I haven't ridden it with the panniers yet but this bike has exceeded my expectations 10 fold. After reading & researching more about this bike than just about any other purchase I've ever made, I've come to the conclusion that most of you guys here must be crazier than me. 😁 I've basically been riding like I was in the break in period and really keeping it under 6000 RPMs. Mostly in town traffic and lower speed limits, but a couple times I was able to "start" to feel this beast in action while in comfortable areas and realized this bike doesn't like going slow. At 5'10 with a 29" inseam and a bum left leg, I thought I was going to have to lower the bike to be comfortable at a red light but really my only difficulty would be when I have to back it up. I freaking love this bike! The previous owner seemed like he was having second thoughts about selling it while we were waiting on the title to come in from his finance company after paying off when I said I was 100% sure about wanting it. The day the tile came in he sent a picture of the title and we made arrangements to complete the transfer. Then he started sending me pictures of the C14 in the Dealership being unboxed and after assembly before he picked it up. He kept messaging me about the care he put into the bike with the over zealous oil changes, ect... It started to feel like a parent leaving it's kid with a babysitter for the first time. Lol. After everything that was coming with the bike (panniers, original exhaust, bike cover, owners manual, oil & filter change receipts, ect...) was loaded into my parents truck, he basically gave me the "dealership" run through. The last 5-10 min before actually leaving felt like a longer time than the couple weeks waiting on the title. LMAO. It felt like he was trying to keep the C14 around as long as he could. Later that evening he posted on FB about selling one of the best machines he has ever owned and he had recently purchased a 2018 H2 SX SE (reason for selling C14, plus he also has a ZX14). The next afternoon I received a message from him checking on me and his old bike. Just making sure she was still ok. While this forum is what sold me on a C14, seeing him almost cry over selling it is what made me feel like I made the right decision. 2 days on the bike (it's my only transportation) and I'm starting to see why he and everyone here loves it so much. I did tell him however that if he missed it that much, I would consider an even swap for his H2. 😁     
PS... Pete with Ultimate Cycle is fantastic! (He will get his own thread about my experience!)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Finally a Connie Club member!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:53:28 am »
I once saw an article that said that we don't "own" great bikes, airplanes, classic cars, etc., we're just the caretakers before someone else takes up the banner. Sounds like you had a good experience. Good story.

I had a similar experience when I bought my (then) 10 year old C-10. The owner (and his wife) both spent about an hour "orienting me" to the bike, even to the extent of gently chiding me to remember to cancel my signal after a turn. That bike was pristine and their personal garage was the neatest, most organized private garage I've ever seen.  Thanks for sharing.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 11:14:11 am »
Welcome to the COG forum. The club's national rally is in a few weeks just one state over from you in Kerrville, TX. It's a great opportunity to meet many club members in one place. It may even tip you to decide to become a club member  :great:
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:17:28 am »
Nice post. Welcome to the club.
It's not a competition, It's a demonstration. "Rowan"
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Online Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 11:30:43 am »
 :welcome:

I'm 5'-3" with no legs to brag about.
You will have no problems with take offs and landings.  ;D
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? My Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book might just be the thing to spread holiday cheer!

Offline Hosspower

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12782
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 11:58:46 am »
I am almost your exact size and I had my right ACL replaced over the winter so I understand. After I bought my bike about 2 months ago, I did decide to lower mine just for the peace of mind. I used the Trex lowering links which is a fairly simple swap. At a stop, my feet are completely flat now with a little flex in my knees.

Just wait till you get it on the open highway. This thing does so many things well but I love it on the highway at 70mph plus. When I commute on it, I do about 20 miles each way on the highway. I came from a smaller sport/touring bike. There is no comparison. It might be the adjustable windshield. It might be the added weight. I know a lot of people talk about the twisties, but for me the biggest difference is going 70 plus on the highway. So solid and secure feeling.

2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 05:29:35 pm »
Congrats' on the new toy Sirk.
You'll get a few arguments about the fastest color though..
      {I personally think it's the 2014 RED}

Come to Kerrville and ride with us July 11-14.
I "Gaaaaarantee" you'll like the group!

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:32:58 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 05:24:41 am »
Congrats' on the new toy Sirk.
You'll get a few arguments about the fastest color though..
      {I personally think it's the 2014 RED}

Come to Kerrville and ride with us July 11-14.
I "Gaaaaarantee" you'll like the group!

Ride safe, Ted

Being that my favorite color is actually Red, I'd be willing to concede that Our bikes are tied for the fastest color.  :beerchug:  I'm thinking I might just be able to make it to Kerrville, my C14 is definitely ready. I'm just not sure about the status of my body or my finances to be able to make it. But I will be crunching the numbers in the morning.  :motonoises:

Offline Sirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 05:49:41 am »
I am almost your exact size and I had my right ACL replaced over the winter so I understand. After I bought my bike about 2 months ago, I did decide to lower mine just for the peace of mind. I used the Trex lowering links which is a fairly simple swap. At a stop, my feet are completely flat now with a little flex in my knees.

Just wait till you get it on the open highway. This thing does so many things well but I love it on the highway at 70mph plus. When I commute on it, I do about 20 miles each way on the highway. I came from a smaller sport/touring bike. There is no comparison. It might be the adjustable windshield. It might be the added weight. I know a lot of people talk about the twisties, but for me the biggest difference is going 70 plus on the highway. So solid and secure feeling.

I just got back from a trip to Kisatchie National Forrest,  which is about 84 miles from my house. 75mph limit on most of I-49 between my house and there. I definitely appreciated that solid & secure feeling, since i absolutely did the speed limit the whole time.  ;)  I'm going to to HAVE to get either cruise control or at minimum a throttle lock because this bike was an absolute monster on the highway.  :motonoises: In town, I don't need more than a third of the tachometer. I kept hearing about how it "came alive" around 7,000 RPM but I wasn't even coming close to finding out in town, even when aggressively riding. I'm so glad I didn't go with the even taller Versys!  Only times I've had a problem with controlling the C14 was in reverse! Twice in my driveway because of some uneven concrete and trying to back it up over that hump took nearly everything i had. Once at the park trying to back up on soft ground with some roots and a Sheriff's deputy gave me a little push to help get over the hump and out of the little hole my Fat Ninja made while I was looking at the lake.  :rotflmao: 

Offline smooth_operator

• government isn't the solution to our problems. government is the problem!
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10773
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 11:45:46 pm »
You are correct in your belief that the 2012 is the fastest year. However, as everyone knows, the Candy Arabian Red was the fastest model ever produced. All other opinions are simply tainted with jealousy. :pokestick:

Nice post and a hearty welcome to you sir! :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:
75 MT 125 Esinore   73 CB 360T  82 Virago 920  08 Metropolitan II "step through"  2012 C14  Candy Arabian Red

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties that standing armies.
--Thomas Jefferson
 CDA 553                               END THE FED!!