Author Topic: First Impressions of a Short Ride  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Alf

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum Subsc
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
First Impressions of a Short Ride
« on: March 07, 2014, 12:06:32 am »
I took my C14 for a short ride last light.  Having only ridden it for a few miles in the rain before purchasing it, this ride, though short, was a little more of a shakedown ride.  The bike is a 2012 with 3300 miles on it.  It still has the original Bridgestone tires. 

The C14 has a Two Brothers exhaust and though pretty quiet at idle it roars to life with a little throttle input.  It might be a little annoyingly loud, but time will tell.  On the handling side, I noticed the front end effortlessly wants to dip into each turn, but requires a little firmness to keep it keeled over.  Perhaps this is the characteristics of the tires.  I test drove a new 2012 and it seemed to turn in and stay on tack through the turn.  I’ll scrub more life out of these tires and reevaluate

Heated grips, where have you been all my life?  Temperatures dipped down to about 36 last night and I was mostly comfortable due to these grips.  I didn’t even go max on the controller and my hands were very warm.  I could have had one more layer underneath my Tourmaster Sonora jacket with the inside liner and I would have been fine.  The extra heat through the hands warms the whole body. 

The acceleration is ample.  Compared to my TL, which seem to spit out power everywhere, the C14 takes a little spooling up, but once kicked it delivers.  Throttle response is instant and not notchy as the TL is.  The C14 does pull from any gear.  Rolling in moderate traffic at about 45 I noticed I was in 6th, but still had ample power to pull away with a slight twist of the right hand. 

I can’t wait until I can get her out for a day on the roads I like to ride.  That will be the true test.

Alf

Offline Alf

• Bicycle
Re: First Impressions of a Short Ride
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:53:46 am »
One more thing not mentioned above; the high beams on the C14 are great.  The only downside to them is the high beam indicator on the dash is a high beam in the face all its own...

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:00:45 am »
Alf,
The original tires are crap. Ditch them ASAP. I tossed mine at 1100 miles. If you want quicker turn in and easier line holding go with the 55 series rear tire. There are many threads on here about this swap and the resulting effects. I have Angel GT's on my '12 with the 55 on the rear and absolutely love them. I am on my second rear now. I got over 7K on the rear and the front is still going strong. The bike rides and handles night and day difference from the 'Stones.
I went with HID headlights and won't go back to regular ever again.
Enjoy the ride!
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 01:04:38 am »
45 in 6th? keep the revs up and you will never have to think about power.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 01:18:07 am »
Grats Alf!  :beerchug:

45 in 6th?

:o

The original tires are crap. Ditch them ASAP.

:iagree:

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 02:37:26 am »
new tires !!! And go to a 55 series rear.

you will find you have a new bike all of a sudden !!

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 02:57:22 am »
The turbo doesn't  kick in till 6,000 rpm ::)
You can buy reducers that fit in the end cap on the two brothers mufflers.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/two-brothers-p1-power-tip
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline JB

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:51:00 am »
On another motorcycle I found similar with the BT21's.  They qualify for tires in the fact that they're round, made of rubber, and give protection to the wheel.  Once off and replaced with a proper tire it was a completely different motorcycle.
2012 Kawasaki Concours (Black)
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Black)
2009 Ninja EX650 (Sold)
2012 Ninja 250 SE (Sold)

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 10:23:24 am »
Alf,
You will find that the Connie does not have as much low end "grunt" as your V65 Sabre had but once the Rpms start to climb a little it turns into a rocket ship & there is no comparison    :motonoises:  :beerchug:
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 10:39:05 am »
I took my C14 for a short ride last light.  Having only ridden it for a few miles in the rain before purchasing it, this ride, though short, was a little more of a shakedown ride.  The bike is a 2012 with 3300 miles on it. It still has the original Bridgestone tires. 

Alf

LOL. Before you do anything scrap the Bridgestones. If the original owner would have changed them he would have kept the bike.

2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 11:22:08 am »

Alf
[/quote]

LOL. Before you do anything scrap the Bridgestones. If the original owner would have changed them he would have kept the bike.
[/quote]  +1

Matt              :iagree:
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Alf

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 11:22:19 am »
Yeah yeah.  I seem to have read somewhere on this list of the disdain for the stock tires.  45 in 6th?  That's not normal for me either.  I just ended up there somehow. 

Cuda, the bike already has an end cap on it.  Now I haven't gotten inside it to seem if it's just a trip piece, has a P1 or a P1X diffuser.  Thanks for the link. 

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 12:12:37 pm »
If you want low end , send you ECU to Guhl ;)
I did't have all these folks problems with the stock tires, and I tend to scrap you size 12 boots when I get serious. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:15:51 pm by cuda »
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 01:43:25 pm »
They is a good read in RACING under "C 14 got a little faster ", he talks about the secondary flys not opening , the GODS of this forum moved it to racing (no mans land) Testing the C 14 in the 1/8 mile ( a real life situation)  to see the results of changes to the bike , most people say they can tell x amount of differance , he is proveing it with time slips . A dyno is not real world knowledge and much as times, what I mean is you can produce X amout of HP on a dyno, but if you lose all your bottom end to get a little bit more top end your backing UP, I guess lots of people don't understand . >:(

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,49600.0.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:47:01 pm by cuda »

Offline JeffP

• Jeff In NC
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 10856
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 02:16:23 pm »
You may want to adjust the suspension for your weight. Sounds like you have been riding for a while, so you probably already know that. Set the sag correctly and get the forks where you like em. You may find she'll hold a corner like she's on rails.

I went through that exercise last summer. I couldn't actually get the forks to utilize the full range of travel without it being so spongy that the ride sucked. But, nonetheless, after making some significant adjustments to both the forks and rear shock, I felt a noticable improvement in handling.

And as others have already said, tires play a HUGE role in that too. I run Michelin PR3's with a 55 rear. Like the look of the wider rear and it did alter handling in a positive way.
2008 Neutron Silver C14
2007 Honda CRF250R

Offline Alf

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 08:37:07 pm »
Setting the suspension up for sag is on my to do list for sure.  I'm a pretty big guy and tend to ride more on the sport side of sport-touring.  I have no idea what size the PO was, but I know he traded it in for different class bike (Tiger 800 IIRC).

I'll be heading to one of the wrenchfests coming up in SC or in Charlotte this spring to do some bike sniffing and perhaps some additional farkling.