Author Topic: First valve adjust observations  (Read 12218 times)

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: First valve adjust observations
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 02:31:11 am »
Relevant, Valid, Democratic Discussions fellas.  :beerchug:

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2017, 03:42:26 pm »
Being me, I'll stir the "Relevant, Valid, Democratic discussion. <evil grin>
I'll alter my earlier thought with a "small mod"....   O:-)

Plus: If you don't tell them, how can Kawasaki know "you" did didn't do a valve adjust?  >:D

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2017, 03:50:26 pm »
That's actually a good question.  I suppose for the "did you do the valve check part" they could bring in a team of forensic scientists and look for microscopic marks on the cams or buckets from the feeler gauges.  My giveaway would be cat hair, since that gets everywhere and I'm sure its in my engine somewhere.  The not doing it part, may be tougher.  No evidence of the former?  ::)
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2017, 03:56:19 pm »
Particularly if I write something similar to your (Valve adjust done) "note" on top of my valve cover.. <sneaky grin>  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: My valve adjust ain't due yet.
       I'm just stirrin' the discussion and thinkin' "sneaky"..
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Devasya

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2017, 03:34:06 pm »
I don't want to do it myself.  ::)

I don't want to pay the shop rate for a dubious job.  :-\

SO I guess I am going to ride this bike for 20,000 miles or so and then sell it. :truce:

Offline Staylo

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12548
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2017, 05:12:53 pm »
I don't want to do it myself.  ::)

I don't want to pay the shop rate for a dubious job.  :-\

SO I guess I am going to ride this bike for 20,000 miles or so and then sell it. :truce:

This is exactly why older Ducati’s are almost always for sale with odometer readings in multiples of 6000 miles.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - B-52 RN
  • COG#: 12545
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2017, 10:28:23 pm »
Started MC today after first valve adjust.  Started right up...purred like a kitten.  Still have to finish other periodic maintenance before putting everything back together, but was exciting to hear it start right up again.  My most important lesson learned?....patience...oh, and triple check everything...

Scott
2014 C14
2006 KLR 650
2005 HD ElectraGlide

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2017, 10:39:54 pm »
Nice job Scott!   :beerchug:  Go slow, follow steps, and it’s doable.  :great:  Any results to report?  How many were out of spec?
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - B-52 RN
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2017, 11:20:08 pm »
Ten of sixteen out of spec tight...7 of them were exhaust valves...most were just barely out of spec...this was at 18,156 miles...
Scott
2014 C14
2006 KLR 650
2005 HD ElectraGlide

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2017, 11:25:29 pm »
Amazing how when doing your own valve checks you find so many out of spec. A dealer checks them and says “all in spec, good to go”. 
Thanks and good info to know.  Repeating this seems appropriate......

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:50 pm »
Ten of sixteen out of spec tight...7 of them were exhaust valves...most were just barely out of spec...this was at 18,156 miles...
Scott

Assume you actually "adjusted" those that were just {slightly} out of spec??

And just so it can be said:  I cannot remember a time in my adult life where my rear-end puckered harder than the first time I started-up my bike after I completed my first solo valve job on my Aprilia!!!  :truce:

I KNOW that feeling.....it was euphoric!

gr

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - B-52 RN
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2017, 12:48:06 am »
Adjusted all ten... all intakes at mid range of spec and all exhausts at upper range of spec now...installed speed bleeders and flushed all brake and clutch fluids...installed vacuum lines on throttle bodies and synced them...flushed and filled coolant...changing oil and reinstalling all fairings and bodywork tomorrow...running beautiful so far, but you’re right...pucker factor was high on first start!
Scott
2014 C14
2006 KLR 650
2005 HD ElectraGlide

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2017, 12:38:00 pm »
Thinking  more about this process overnight, I have a question for the group:

I don't necessarily know what needs to be removed once the plastic and gas tank are off the bike to have access to the head space within the frame.  I'll consult the FSM today.....

I have ALOT of wires under the hood, with a Fuzeblock on the left side that is FULL, and a Rostra unit
on the right side, running the bulk of the wires over the frame near the relay block.  It's tidy, but not particularly
"modular", if that makes sense.

Will all of this wiring impede the normal valve check process?  How much of the OEM harnesses and looms, need to be moved or removed during this process?

I know that's a big question, but I'm wondering how troubling this will be someone at a shop to do?
I soldered-in most of my connections, and don't think they'll all be easily removed or pushed aside for engine access.

thanks,
gr

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2017, 01:01:25 pm »
Thinking  more about this process overnight, I have a question for the group:

I don't necessarily know what needs to be removed once the plastic and gas tank are off the bike to have access to the head space within the frame.  I'll consult the FSM today.....

I have ALOT of wires under the hood, with a Fuzeblock on the left side that is FULL, and a Rostra unit
on the right side, running the bulk of the wires over the frame near the relay block.  It's tidy, but not particularly
"modular", if that makes sense.

Will all of this wiring impede the normal valve check process?  How much of the OEM harnesses and looms, need to be moved or removed during this process?

I know that's a big question, but I'm wondering how troubling this will be someone at a shop to do?
I soldered-in most of my connections, and don't think they'll all be easily removed or pushed aside for engine access.

thanks,
gr
GR, I have pictures of the how the wires get routed around the fairing stays and attach to the sub frame brackets, etc  (Suggest that anybody should do that for reassembly).   The problem would be there are too many photos to share to answer your question.  I don't want to keep going back to Fred's videos, but fast forwarding through the removal and assembly sections is the best way to see the wire routing and what needs to get removed or pushed aside. 

A shop may not understand your custom wiring or put it back the way you originally had it.  Some of your custom wiring may need to be removed depending on slack? The wiring up and over the frame shouldn't be an issue, but that bracket with the relays does need to be removed and laid to the left side to remove one of the fairing stays.  Only you may be able to answer your question if you want to figure it all out before sending to a shop.    HTH.

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - B-52 RN
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2017, 01:09:13 pm »
Gr,
Can’t speak to your extra wiring, but from my recent experience, no need to remove gas tank...oem wiring harnesses will just droop down out of the way to get to the valve cover...several different electrical plugs to disconnect along the way...not real difficult, just requires patience...take lots of pictures too.
Scott
2014 C14
2006 KLR 650
2005 HD ElectraGlide

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2017, 09:48:12 pm »

It would be nice if we could all get along, as the great community we obviously are.  Otherwise, I think the board should consider taking some kind of action, whatever that's deemed to be.  Just my two cents....

Personally I was glad to see a post from Fred again. There have been to many good people leave this forum because of MOB. 75% of his post are belittling to who ever is on the other end.

We shouldn't be the one's struggling to ignore his post. For what ever reason he seems to be a bitter person.

I have no ties to either, just decided to finally speak up with my .02.

Cliff   :beerchug:

I agree / know it ALL
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2017, 09:48:47 pm »
All:

Being the frugal Connie rider that I am I waited till 25,000 for first valve adjust couple weeks ago. I'm a 65 plus 'mild' rider, pushing the throttles only occasionally to afterburner! :)  I really didn't think my valves would be "out of spec"  Yeah, you could say I took a chance but this has not been my first rodeo!

My mechanic in Atlanta went through my entire bike; four intake valves only out of spec! Said everything else looked good in the valve train area. no pitting, nothing wrong or even close to concerns. Asked me what brand of oil I have been using: Shell Rotella 5-40         T6 :great:great:

Gave me the valve map for my file. Did all fluids, brakes, adjusted this and that, felt really good riding back out of Atlanta to Columbus.

I did the valves on my 99 and 2000 C10 years ago but don't want to mess with this C14. 

Then last week I rode down to SISFs in Tampa and got FLASHED! He recommended I take out the baffle in my Delkevic and I have done so. The sound is a little louder until 6K then it really makes a nice sound :great:

I'm going to have to be careful with the throttle now 'cause the bike is getting easy to "go fast"! In every gear!

Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2017, 10:28:04 pm »
Hi,
       Good deal!

I just did a valve job on my wifes Honda Element. (Easy!)

Will do my Element next time home.

As far as the valves on the C14....

Probably will let Steve S. do mine!

Of course no more than I get to ride....

Might be awhile! :(

Yes! The C14 WANTS to do 90, just so it can feel good! ;D >:D >:D >:D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline LURCH

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12329
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2017, 01:16:48 am »
 just a little reminder and I'm sure everyone has done it once you're finished the valve job always rotate the engine three or four times to make sure there's no contact

Offline Motor Psycho

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12190
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2018, 08:50:52 pm »
On page two of this thread TEXAS CONCOURS 14 said:
For those of you planning on doing a valve adjustment on a 2010 C14 or newer, be aware that the timing marks are different that those shown in Fred's video (performed on a 2008 or 2009).  That is why you need to refer to the proper-year manual as well as the videos. Check out posts by 4Bikes for helpful info.

Does anyone have a good picture of the marks on the newer bikes. I have the paper service manual for my 2015, but it only has an illustration. And the illustration is not very clear and leaves a little to be desired

Thanks

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - B-52 RN
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2018, 09:39:59 pm »
Motor Psycho,
PM me your email address and I will send a couple pics...I can’t figure out how to post pics here...
Scott
2014 C14
2006 KLR 650
2005 HD ElectraGlide

Offline Motor Psycho

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12190
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2018, 10:06:16 pm »
Thanks
PM sent

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2018, 10:38:51 pm »
The link to the photos can be found in this thread. I included them the first time I did the adjustment.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/observations-after-the-second-valve-check/

Offline khager01

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2018, 12:14:54 am »
Thanks for the link 4bikes, a lot of good info there.  I bookmarked it for future use. :great:
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - B-52 RN
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2018, 12:48:56 am »
Motor psycho
Email pics sent...