Author Topic: First valve adjust observations  (Read 3194 times)

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: First valve adjust observations
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 02:31:11 am »
Relevant, Valid, Democratic Discussions fellas.  :beerchug:

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2017, 03:42:26 pm »
Being me, I'll stir the "Relevant, Valid, Democratic discussion. <evil grin>
I'll alter my earlier thought with a "small mod"....   O:-)

Plus: If you don't tell them, how can Kawasaki know "you" did didn't do a valve adjust?  >:D

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2017, 03:50:26 pm »
That's actually a good question.  I suppose for the "did you do the valve check part" they could bring in a team of forensic scientists and look for microscopic marks on the cams or buckets from the feeler gauges.  My giveaway would be cat hair, since that gets everywhere and I'm sure its in my engine somewhere.  The not doing it part, may be tougher.  No evidence of the former?  ::)
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2017, 03:56:19 pm »
Particularly if I write something similar to your (Valve adjust done) "note" on top of my valve cover.. <sneaky grin>  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: My valve adjust ain't due yet.
       I'm just stirrin' the discussion and thinkin' "sneaky"..
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Devasya

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2017, 03:34:06 pm »
I don't want to do it myself.  ::)

I don't want to pay the shop rate for a dubious job.  :-\

SO I guess I am going to ride this bike for 20,000 miles or so and then sell it. :truce:

Offline Staylo

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12548
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2017, 05:12:53 pm »
I don't want to do it myself.  ::)

I don't want to pay the shop rate for a dubious job.  :-\

SO I guess I am going to ride this bike for 20,000 miles or so and then sell it. :truce:

This is exactly why older Ducati’s are almost always for sale with odometer readings in multiples of 6000 miles.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - BUFF RN
  • COG#: 12545
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2017, 10:28:23 pm »
Started MC today after first valve adjust.  Started right up...purred like a kitten.  Still have to finish other periodic maintenance before putting everything back together, but was exciting to hear it start right up again.  My most important lesson learned?....patience...oh, and triple check everything...

Scott
2014 C14
2006 KLR 650
2005 HD ElectraGlide

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2017, 10:39:54 pm »
Nice job Scott!   :beerchug:  Go slow, follow steps, and it’s doable.  :great:  Any results to report?  How many were out of spec?
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - BUFF RN
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2017, 11:20:08 pm »
Ten of sixteen out of spec tight...7 of them were exhaust valves...most were just barely out of spec...this was at 18,156 miles...
Scott
2014 C14
2006 KLR 650
2005 HD ElectraGlide

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2017, 11:25:29 pm »
Amazing how when doing your own valve checks you find so many out of spec. A dealer checks them and says “all in spec, good to go”. 
Thanks and good info to know.  Repeating this seems appropriate......

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:50 pm »
Ten of sixteen out of spec tight...7 of them were exhaust valves...most were just barely out of spec...this was at 18,156 miles...
Scott

Assume you actually "adjusted" those that were just {slightly} out of spec??

And just so it can be said:  I cannot remember a time in my adult life where my rear-end puckered harder than the first time I started-up my bike after I completed my first solo valve job on my Aprilia!!!  :truce:

I KNOW that feeling.....it was euphoric!

gr

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - BUFF RN
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2017, 12:48:06 am »
Adjusted all ten... all intakes at mid range of spec and all exhausts at upper range of spec now...installed speed bleeders and flushed all brake and clutch fluids...installed vacuum lines on throttle bodies and synced them...flushed and filled coolant...changing oil and reinstalling all fairings and bodywork tomorrow...running beautiful so far, but you’re right...pucker factor was high on first start!
Scott
2014 C14
2006 KLR 650
2005 HD ElectraGlide

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2017, 12:38:00 pm »
Thinking  more about this process overnight, I have a question for the group:

I don't necessarily know what needs to be removed once the plastic and gas tank are off the bike to have access to the head space within the frame.  I'll consult the FSM today.....

I have ALOT of wires under the hood, with a Fuzeblock on the left side that is FULL, and a Rostra unit
on the right side, running the bulk of the wires over the frame near the relay block.  It's tidy, but not particularly
"modular", if that makes sense.

Will all of this wiring impede the normal valve check process?  How much of the OEM harnesses and looms, need to be moved or removed during this process?

I know that's a big question, but I'm wondering how troubling this will be someone at a shop to do?
I soldered-in most of my connections, and don't think they'll all be easily removed or pushed aside for engine access.

thanks,
gr

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2017, 01:01:25 pm »
Thinking  more about this process overnight, I have a question for the group:

I don't necessarily know what needs to be removed once the plastic and gas tank are off the bike to have access to the head space within the frame.  I'll consult the FSM today.....

I have ALOT of wires under the hood, with a Fuzeblock on the left side that is FULL, and a Rostra unit
on the right side, running the bulk of the wires over the frame near the relay block.  It's tidy, but not particularly
"modular", if that makes sense.

Will all of this wiring impede the normal valve check process?  How much of the OEM harnesses and looms, need to be moved or removed during this process?

I know that's a big question, but I'm wondering how troubling this will be someone at a shop to do?
I soldered-in most of my connections, and don't think they'll all be easily removed or pushed aside for engine access.

thanks,
gr
GR, I have pictures of the how the wires get routed around the fairing stays and attach to the sub frame brackets, etc  (Suggest that anybody should do that for reassembly).   The problem would be there are too many photos to share to answer your question.  I don't want to keep going back to Fred's videos, but fast forwarding through the removal and assembly sections is the best way to see the wire routing and what needs to get removed or pushed aside. 

A shop may not understand your custom wiring or put it back the way you originally had it.  Some of your custom wiring may need to be removed depending on slack? The wiring up and over the frame shouldn't be an issue, but that bracket with the relays does need to be removed and laid to the left side to remove one of the fairing stays.  Only you may be able to answer your question if you want to figure it all out before sending to a shop.    HTH.

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - BUFF RN
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2017, 01:09:13 pm »
Gr,
Can’t speak to your extra wiring, but from my recent experience, no need to remove gas tank...oem wiring harnesses will just droop down out of the way to get to the valve cover...several different electrical plugs to disconnect along the way...not real difficult, just requires patience...take lots of pictures too.
Scott
2014 C14
2006 KLR 650
2005 HD ElectraGlide