Author Topic: First Valve Adjustment  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Arabian Red

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11292
  • Membership Level: Active
First Valve Adjustment
« on: April 02, 2018, 06:05:07 pm »
So, I just completed my first complete valve adjustment and it was quite the undertaking. I could have paid someone else to do it but could never be quite sure it was done correctly or completely. So over the last 3 weekends (a few hours each day) I went step by step through it all and am very happy to say the engine started and ran perfectly the first time with no oil leaks, what a relief. Anyway while I had the beast apart all over my garage I ended up replacing a little over half the shims and reused the rest on various other valves. These babies are not cheap from Kawasaki when you can even find them, what a chore just compiling the parts I needed. I took this time to give the motor a once over and replaced the plugs, valve cover gasket, plug hole gaskets and water pump cover seal since it was showing small signs of leakage. I also replaced the cam sensor O rings for the intake and exhaust cams. I even took the time to check all the bolts I could reach for looseness and found a lot of loose header bolts. Also did an Antifreeze change and flushed the system as well as inspected all the hoses and clamps. I was a lot of work but I am very glad I did it myself and have the knowledge that no short cuts were taken. Just wanted to share. Thanks.

Offline Eupher

• Tricycle
  • 2012 C14 in Rootbeer Red
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12753
Re: First Valve Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 06:50:39 pm »
How many miles before the adjustments?
U.S. Army, Retired
1965 Honda S90 (no training wheels)
1981 Suzuki 650E
1986 Yamaha 450
2003 Honda 919

Offline Mabupa

• mabupa
  • Tricycle
  • mabupa
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12757
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:14:37 pm »
This is not a maintenance item I’m looking forward to doing,  it I’ll probably take the same route you took and do it myself. Glad to hear it turned out ok for you and I’m sure you feel great about it now that is finished.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 08:58:29 pm »
Too bad you didn't read some of the threads here about sources for shims.  ProX shims, sold by Riders Domain and others, are $1.99 each and come in all the same sizes as the Kawasaki OEM ones.

https://www.ridersdomain.com/motorcycle-parts/pro-x-valve-shim-p?v=2005-YAMAHA-FJR1300
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:35:31 am »
Good on you. Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought him back.  :great: :beerchug:
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 09:25:51 am »
I'm glad it went well for you.  That feeling you get when it fires up and runs like a champ is all the payment you need. +1 on Riders Domain (formerly Jake Wilson) for the shims. Cheap and fast shipping.  :great:
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline walter

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 11:03:43 am »
Glad it went well for you! I am considering doing it myself next year with my father in law's help, hes the brains to this operation... Without his help I would just pay someone. Now I am just trying to make a list of parts like you mentioned to set this up. Anyone know how to get Fred's videos?

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 11:32:21 am »
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 11:58:12 am »
Jake Wilson online is also a great source for shims.  I received them next day without paying for any special shipping.   Since I have done it once I won't hesitate doing it next time.   I believe I could now do it within 8 hours if I had the shims to finish.   I'll do the adjustment on my ZX14r also when needed, only 3,500 miles on it...will probably do it earlier on it around 12k - 15k. 

Good job doing it yourself.   Like my Dad told me at an early age, "if someone else can do it I can do it".    And he did.     

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 12:40:21 pm »
The only caveat from Riders Domain (formerly Jake Wilson) is that they don't list the ProX shims as applicable to the C14.  But 9.48 mm shims are all the same and are used by many different bikes from multiple manufacturers.  I use the 2005 Yahama FJR when searching for the shims on their site.

https://www.ridersdomain.com/motorcycle-parts/pro-x-valve-shim-p?v=2005-YAMAHA-FJR1300

What I especially like about their site is that the actual stock is shown before you order.  So you don't place an order today only to get an email in 2 days saying, "we're sorry for the item(s) you ordered are out of stock and will be available in 2 weeks."  Riders Domain almost always ships the SAME DAY you order and for most people they will have the parts in 2 days.  Dealers never have shims in stock.  The online dealers like Kawasaki Parts House or Ron Ayers, also do not have these in stock.  It's always "2 weeks" regardless of what their web site says.  VERY disappointing when you have your bike in pieces and want to finished it up by the weekend!

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 12:46:36 pm »
Glad it went well for you! I am considering doing it myself next year with my father in law's help, hes the brains to this operation... Without his help I would just pay someone. Now I am just trying to make a list of parts like you mentioned to set this up. Anyone know how to get Fred's videos?

Here is a link for the part numbers and tools to get the job done.....

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/part-numbers-for-the-c-14-valve-adjustment/

Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 12:48:23 pm »
The only caveat from Riders Domain (formerly Jake Wilson) is that they don't list the ProX shims as applicable to the C14.  But 9.48 mm shims are all the same and are used by many different bikes from multiple manufacturers.  I use the 2005 Yahama FJR when searching for the shims on their site.
They may have updated their configuration since you last ordered shims...  I did my valve adjustment, recently, and I had no problem seeing the Pro-X shims when I put in my C14 info:

Offline walter

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 01:12:27 pm »
Thanks P07r0457 and 4Bikes for the links!

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 03:46:28 pm »
I would like to encourage the replacement of spark plugs while doing the valves. I'm sure everyone does this, but keeping it in mind will facilitate having the plugs on hand while the job is going on. After completing my valve adjustment, including plug replacement, I have to say that my C14 just runs a lot better. I don't believe that the valve clearance makes that much difference, so I attribute it to the new plugs. This was the second valve check for my bike, at 46K, but the first plug change.

Offline NukeWorker

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11420
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 06:35:15 pm »
Mine ran so much better after the valve adjust that Texas DPS decided to give me a $189  "Performance Award"  :motonoises: :-\ :-[ >:( :'(
2013 Concours 14 Black
Previous Bikes:
2002 V-Star 1100 Classic Silverado
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 06:38:22 pm »
Mine ran so much better after the valve adjust that Texas DPS decided to give me a $189  "Performance Award"  :motonoises: :-\ :-[ >:( :'(

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: I can visualize that one.  The wheel coming up is another clue, you have it dialed in.  :motonoises:
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 07:28:39 pm »
I would like to encourage the replacement of spark plugs while doing the valves. I'm sure everyone does this, but keeping it in mind will facilitate having the plugs on hand while the job is going on. After completing my valve adjustment, including plug replacement, I have to say that my C14 just runs a lot better. I don't believe that the valve clearance makes that much difference, so I attribute it to the new plugs. This was the second valve check for my bike, at 46K, but the first plug change.

Its nice to have the plugs on and in case you need them, but most of the plugs I've seen that had 30k or less on them, looked almost new, and perfect. Maybe around 48-50k they really should be changed, but this style of plug is pretty robust, and should have a long life...
The price of these plugs does reflect on their longevity for sure, which is expected when you dish out $40+ for 4 plugs... :rotflmao:
I changed mine at 25k just because I had bought them in advance, but I saved the originals as they were perfect, and carefully reboxed them for future use...

I think the biggest improvement besides the valve adjust, comes from replacing that dirty air filter, which at 20+k ALWAYS needs to be done.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 07:42:38 pm »
I agree with MOB, and essentially did the same thing at 40k miles for the second inspection.

As long as we are talking plugs, be sure to get this handy tool from Kawi for removing the plugs. It’s the flimsiest tool you will ever own, but works perfect in the tight space.  Once upon a time it was included in the tool kits on the first Gen C-14’s.

Spark Plug wrench (not included in 2010-16 C-14 tool kits) [Qty=1 92110-1132 TOOL-WRENCH]

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 07:49:59 pm »

I'll second that. No sense not to while you are in there.

I was moving temporarily a couple of years ago when mine needed checked, and I was not going to have a garage where I would be living. I left the bike with a trusted mechanic, and friend. I had him change the air filter, plugs, coolant, and do a throttle body sync. I was traveling when he did it and the service manager, another friend, periodically sent me pictures of the process. It was kind of comical, but at least I got to see the work in progress.

The bike was like new after the new plugs and throttle body sync. I flew home, picked it up, and the next day rode it 900 miles to my temporary home.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 08:03:03 pm »
I think the biggest improvement besides the valve adjust, comes from replacing that dirty air filter, which at 20+k ALWAYS needs to be done.

Amen on the air filter.  I think they get dirty after about 100 miles!  Way too small for this engine and the intakes are right out there in front slurping up anything and everything. 

I'll also add that even if you don't change the spark plugs, remove and inspect them.  Two reasons:

1) If there is a problem brewing, you can avoid it easily at this point.
2) The factory-installed plugs have a tendency to seize and removing them lets you clean off any corrosion.

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 09:02:01 pm »
Odd.  I put several thousand miles on my last air filter over the course of 2 years and when I pulled it out it still looked pretty clean.  I replaced it, anyway, as I had purchased a new one...  But I haven't found them to get dirty, as some of you have commented.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 09:30:22 pm »
Odd.  I put several thousand miles on my last air filter over the course of 2 years and when I pulled it out it still looked pretty clean.  I replaced it, anyway, as I had purchased a new one...  But I haven't found them to get dirty, as some of you have commented.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
"Several thousand miles over 2 years" is not considered as something that gets them dirty...
Several thousand a month, over a 2 year span, of mixed riding conditions, roads, and states, and toss in riding a few 500+ mile days of torrential rain, and it changes things drastically.... thus my comment on the 20k thing (corrected to my original post)... :beerchug: :motonoises: :motonoises:
Having travelled many times for 8+ hours drinking from the firehose, that wet stuff accelerates the degradation exponentially
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:15:56 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 10:50:15 pm »
Several thousand a month, over a 2 year span, of mixed riding conditions, roads, and states, and toss in riding a few 500+ mile days of torrential rain, and it changes things drastically.... thus my comment on the 25k thing... :beerchug: :motonoises: :motonoises:
Having travelled many times for 8+ hours drinking from the firehose, that wet stuff accelerates the degradation exponentially
Why would you go 25k between filter changes?

Manual calls for changes every 12,000 miles.

I don't understand why people choose to ignore regular maintenance on their vehicles.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 11:13:58 pm »
Several thousand a month, over a 2 year span, of mixed riding conditions, roads, and states, and toss in riding a few 500+ mile days of torrential rain, and it changes things drastically.... thus my comment on the 25k thing... :beerchug: :motonoises: :motonoises:
Why would you go 25k between filter changes?

Manual calls for changes every 12,000 miles.

I don't understand why people choose to ignore regular maintenance on their vehicles.

I don't.
And don't suggest it either.
Thus my post.

The manual also suggests a mile point for valve clearance inspection.
Which about 50% or more people disregard, or vehemently refuse to do.
Another 25% or more are either disuaded from having it done, by their dealerships, or get their pockets cleaned out paying them for a service they likely didn't do, because they "were in spec"...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I suggest following the manual.
I never said I went 25k without an airfilter change. Ever.

Nor did I go 20k without same, as originally I posted as a "better do it before then" point, which I also corrected in my second post to reflect my error being elongated.
Ride safe,
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:18:40 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Arabian Red

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11292
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 01:15:24 am »
I got my bike in 2012 when it had 7,000 miles on it and now it is at 34,000 and still ran great but did the adjustment anyway. I imagine the plugs made a difference as well but the over all performance and smoothness of the bike was back to when I first got it so I would think I will be doing this again at 60,000 miles unless something drastic happens that makes me have to tear into it earlier. I did however change the air filter which I neglected to mention. And you all are right, I way over paid for the shims I purchased and waited way longer than I should have. The other regret I may have in the future is replacing the cam sensor seals with OEM instead of the Murph seals, we will see. I am curious to see what my mileage will be after the work I did. I was getting between 45 and 49 MPG at freeway speeds on average of 75 to 80 MPH on long trips. We will see. Bike riding season is upon me again.