Author Topic: FLO REUSABLE OIL FILTER.  (Read 6774 times)

Offline devilboy

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10552
  • Membership Level: Terminated / Expired
Re: FLO REUSABLE OIL FILTER.
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 01:50:11 am »
I enjoy cleaning the filter on my bike. I feel "one" with the machine. I enjoy spending the extra time playing with the bike.
Never too cold in  the motorcycle bay......(actually  made for a golf cart  ;))   got my tunes ,my beverage, and my dog helps me change the oil....... to each his own...

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10583
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 02:43:04 am »
I enjoy cleaning the filter on my bike. I feel "one" with the machine. I enjoy spending the extra time playing with the bike.
Never too cold in  the motorcycle bay......(actually  made for a golf cart  ;))   got my tunes ,my beverage, and my dog helps me change the oil....... to each his own...

:beerchug: :motonoises:       

Offline devilboy

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10552
  • Membership Level: Terminated / Expired
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 12:22:50 pm »
The only problem I ever heard of with the  K&P filter(similar to FLO) was failure to wipe some oil across the quad ring(rubber gasket)
It must be lubricated so that filter sits tight against engine case. I also only tighten the filter  as far as I can by hand. It has never vibrated out..    One of the other Claims K&P made was that the filter being made of Billet aluminum  made for additional cooling
(due to additional surface area  exposed to moving air) On my Victory Vision  the filter sat very close to crossover pipe and I think it probably raised the oil temp a degree or two :))    Victory motors are air and oil cooled......

Offline Don557

• Road Bike
  • Silver Streak
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10835
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 04:29:44 pm »
I'm also gonna throw in a vote for the old-fashioned disposables.  There's a couple of reasons.  I see the reusable filter makers mention cut point, say 35 microns, but not efficiency.  No filter is 100% efficient, so how much of the fines at 35 microns does it catch?  90%? 50%?  Another thing I typically see is the claim that these filter better than paper filters.  Maybe better than bad/cheap paper filters, but the good ones get about 98% at 30 microns and 85% at 20 microns.  From what I've read, the oil film that critical internal parts are moving on is about 25 microns thick.  So if these disposable filters are only catching everything down to 35 microns, you've got a bunch of particles left circulating in your oil, grinding away at pistons, rings, bearings, etc.  Doesn't sound like good economy to me, but to each his own.

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 07:17:22 pm »
do we have the start of an oil filter thread??? :popcorncouple: :rotflmao:

KiPass!

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 11:35:40 pm »
I'm surprised  this thread is still alive :great:  Bottom line is you can see the condition of the filter as far as dirt ( metal ,clutch fiber and anything else?) and  that is something you will never see in a disposable.  This alone is worth the info on what's going on in the motor for the price of the filter ;)  :)

Offline scooter

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10551
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 01:18:36 am »
You can cut open a disposable filter also to view it's contents
southern utah
2011 silver concours

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 02:29:59 am »
I'm surprised  this thread is still alive :great:  Bottom line is you can see the condition of the filter as far as dirt ( metal ,clutch fiber and anything else?) and  that is something you will never see in a disposable.  This alone is worth the info on what's going on in the motor for the price of the filter ;)  :)

Me too, but oil threads never seem to die till a newer one comes along
KiPass!

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 01:25:05 pm »
       Scooter,   for the person that doesn't want to get messy, cutting open a pleated paper filter has to be out of the question.   And when you do, all you will see is dark brown paper and will not distinguish what is in it.    In the stainless steel shinny pleated screen you see everything that it caught before it runs thru the motor. :great:

Offline NascarDave

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10112
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 03:32:41 am »
I've let 'em drain over night and used a pair of pliers to un-fold the sheet metal the next day,no mess.It takes about 10 minutes.

Scooter,   for the person that doesn't want to get messy, cutting open a pleated paper filter has to be out of the question.   And when you do, all you will see is dark brown paper and will not distinguish what is in it.    In the stainless steel shinny pleated screen you see everything that it caught before it runs thru the motor. :great:
US bikes-
2003 H-D Fat Boy
1993 H-D UltraGlide
Jap bikes-
2008 Concours
1978 Honda Gold Wing
1975 Suzuki GT250

Offline Don557

• Road Bike
  • Silver Streak
  • COG#: 10835
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 11:48:38 am »
Cutting the filter open (or inspecting the reusable type) might be a good exercise now and then, but how necessary is it, really?  These are well made Japanese engines, operating in relatively understressed conditions.  You can almost count on them having a trouble-free, high-mileage life.  Other than that, if you were to actually find something out of the ordinary, what's the next logical step? - (assuming you're still under warranty) try to get the dealer to pull the engine and rebuild?  I just think the liklihood of things playing out that way are so slim it's not worth worrying about.
But getting back to the original point: I still don't get the logic of the reusable.  Sure, you can inspect it, but you're still only seeing what those filters are capable of catching, which is less than a paper filter.  I'd be more concerned about what you're NOT seeing caught - all those sub-35 micron bits that were still circulating around the engine.  Just to save a few dollars over the course of 100K miles?  Just not worth the trade off.

Offline c14painkiller

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 9405
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 05:52:36 pm »
This is old tech, used them back in the pre 70's on trucks. Now they put on lots of miles and were no worse for wear running paper. An aviation FAA approval is good enough for me. Just depends if you want to spend the extra time cleaning the filter or riding. :beerchug:
COG #9405
2010 Concours

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 06:49:19 pm »
https://www.denniskirk.com/305881.sku?utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cse  This is a good price for the filter unless you can find it cheaper some place else. :) :beerchug: