Author Topic: front brake noise?  (Read 330 times)

Offline cappyg

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
front brake noise?
« on: September 27, 2017, 05:26:24 pm »
2008 ABS.  No pulsing from front coming from highway exit ramp speeds, but once i take off from stop again i hear a rubbing noise (dragging pad) with the frequency of what seems to be the RPM of the front wheel.  Has anyone encountered this.  I am figuring maybe the small hole in the master hole may be dirty or clogged if it has one.  I have not done anything with fluid yet.  Since I bought the bike in October of 2016 I have cleaned rotors and bobbins only.  Brakes really feel good, but the noise is annoying on take off.  Once I am up to speed the rubbing sounds seems to go away, which would mean to me the disc has pushed the pad away.  Maybe i could check the slider pins on the caliper?  Low mileage (10,500) when I bought it, so maybe it sat for awhile?

Thanks,
Greg.
Greg in Cincinnati
GTR1400 08' "Holy Kaw" Shoodaben EVO Flashed
T500 75' Suzuki Titan
XR400 98' Honda "Tractor"

Offline Syxxphive

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: front brake noise?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:04:24 pm »
My 08 does the same and I’ve been wondering as well

Offline SpeedyCoop

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12609
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:45:44 am »
My 08 ABS does the same thing. I assume it is the aftermarket pads installed by previous owner. 95,000 miles when I purchased it. I flushed system did not make any difference.

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 07:42:03 pm »
There is a good chance the pucks in the brake caliper are dirty enough that they are not fully retracting when you let go of the brake. This is pretty common. Have you ever cleaned them?
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline SpeedyCoop

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12609
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:43:58 pm »
I plan on caliper disassembly and cleaning in late October when I have the front wheel off for powder coating, new tire and new battery in TPMS.