Author Topic: Front Turn Signal Switchback LEDs  (Read 595 times)

Offline Speedie

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Front Turn Signal Switchback LEDs
« on: May 29, 2017, 03:29:09 pm »
I'm trying to increase the visibility of my 2008 C14. I've already changed the turn signals to LEDs with a solid state relay to avoid hyperflashing, installed an auxiliary tail / brake light with a flasher unit, changed the city lights to very bright amber LEDs, and changed the headlights to the Evitek G6 H4 LEDs. So far so good.

I still feel as though the front could use some help. I'll eventually add the Skene Photon Blaster or similar, but for something higher up on the bike I've been considering switchbacks. Problem is that the weird BAU15S base on our turn signals greatly limits the options. There are the Triton V3s but ouch - spendy.

Came across these on Amazon: BAU15S Switchback LEDs

It's something of a kludge as they're going for "plug and play". Best I can tell, the LED bulb and holder itself is a direct fit replacement for the original; the original bulb is removed from its holder and replaced with the small silver plug in piece; the white wire needs to be spliced into a switched source (city lights would be ideal I think); and the rest is an inline resistor to prevent hyperflashing.

Given that many of us who've gone the LED route already have LED-compatible solid state relays in place, the resistor seems pointless. Also the only reason that I can see for the silver plug in to the original bulb holder is to inline the resistor and save splicing the wires.

Is my thinking correct in that you could simply cut the red and black wires on the bulb side of the resistor, cut the wires to the original bulb holder, and wire ground to ground, positive to positive, with the white wire spliced into the city lights? This would be much neater in both appearance and function (reduced load without the unnecessary resistor). $26.99 or even less on Ali Express is much more wife friendly than $200 for the Tritons  :great:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:33:33 pm by Speedie »

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Front Turn Signal Switchback LEDs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:21:55 pm »
Speedie,
If you are really serious about your visibility look into a set of LED driving lights, A GOOD set. These will do far more for your visibility than some low output LED replacement bulbs in the turn signal housings.
I like the Denali lights from Twisted throttle. If your wallet is feeling a bit too heavy then try the Clearwater designs lights, they have no equal that I know of.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline Speedie

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 04:56:26 pm »
Speedie,
If you are really serious about your visibility look into a set of LED driving lights, A GOOD set. These will do far more for your visibility than some low output LED replacement bulbs in the turn signal housings.
I like the Denali lights from Twisted throttle. If your wallet is feeling a bit too heavy then try the Clearwater designs lights, they have no equal that I know of.
Matt

Yup, as I mentioned in the OP I'm looking at the Skene Photon Blasters in white for lower down around the fender:

Adding the switchbacks would just be a bonus if I can get it done at a reasonable cost. I just went through the bike as it's relatively new to me, so far it's had an oil and filter change, new brake pads front and rear, brake and clutch fluid change, air filter change, coolant change, final drive oil change, and now the LEDs. Trust me, my wallet isn't feeling remotely heavy!

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 04:57:54 pm »
Speedie,
Matt
Wait til you get to the suspension upgrades!   :-[ :-[
Matt

Yup, as I mentioned in the OP I'm looking at the Skene Photon Blasters in white for lower down around the fender:

Adding the switchbacks would just be a bonus if I can get it done at a reasonable cost. I just went through the bike as it's relatively new to me, so far it's had new brake pads front and rear, brake and clutch fluid change, air filter change, coolant change, final drive oil change, and now the LEDs. Trust me, my wallet isn't feeling remotely heavy!
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline Derek

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11636
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:09:48 pm »
To answer the original question.... yes you could cut out the resistor and silver plug and slice the wires in to look cleaner but who's going to see this clean look.... the resistor and silver plug are hidden within the fairing.  Mine are tucked and zipped in place so never seen till the fairing come off.  Wish I had seen these before I bought mine.... look identical but I paid double.

If your wanting this for you, I see no reason it would work.
2010 C14 Concours
2004 C10 Concours (Lost a fight with a left turning car)
1983 Honda V45 Sabre (sold)
Ottawa, Ontario

Offline Speedie

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 07:53:22 pm »
To answer the original question.... yes you could cut out the resistor and silver plug and slice the wires in to look cleaner but who's going to see this clean look.... the resistor and silver plug are hidden within the fairing.  Mine are tucked and zipped in place so never seen till the fairing come off.  Wish I had seen these before I bought mine.... look identical but I paid double.

If your wanting this for you, I see no reason it would work.

Thank-you, that's what I was looking for. It's not just for neatness though, taking the unnecessary resistor out also means lower power draw and two less (potentially) very hot parts in close proximity to plastic and other wiring.

I think I'm going to give it a whirl. Will post pics / video when they're done.

Offline Rony6ble

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12513
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 03:21:48 am »
Speedie,
Matt
+1 on the Denali's
I just got a pair of DX (dual intensity 40% with low beam and 100% with high beam) and a pair of D4 (100% on with high beam). Both have an independent water proof switch to kill the lights.
This set up might seam a bit extreme but during my last ride across Colorado, Utah and Nevada at night on I70, US50 and US6 I could see everything in front of me including that elk at over 700 ft away on the left shoulder.
Concours 14 2011
Concours 14 2009 RIP
GPZ 400 & Ninja 250
IBA# 57875 COG# 12513

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 09:12:28 am »
I posted in another thread that I put on the Switchback Lighting LED set up for the C-14. John is an member vendor. It has been well worth it as I have bright running lights and 3 brake lights when engaged. Hardest thing to do was to put the tupperware back on the bike. Your Connie has to get naked.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 10:14:06 am »
I had great success with NAPA square LED work lights on my Vee as DRL lights.  When I got C14, I wanted something slicker than square LED lights that looked rugged on an ADV bike, but looked otherwise silly on an ST bike. So I got PLX from NAPA and installed them under the mirrors. Wired them directly to LO beam (these PLX LED draw measly small current, like 500 mA) and called it done!
Here is my post with couple of pics. http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/led-running-lights-71153/
As for the back, I added $5 3/4" inch LED button lights. Wired them directly to main LED light so they only work as brake lights.

Also, added two round reflective stickers. When light is shone upon them, they light up like beacons.
Call me cheap, but for total of $100 and few hours of my time I think I've made my bike whole lot more visible during daylight hours. 

Cheers...