Author Topic: Fuel gauge  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12686
  • Membership Level: Active
Fuel gauge
« on: January 25, 2018, 01:08:57 am »
Today my fuel gauge showed i was on empty but only took 4 gallons when i filled it up. Anyone else have this happen? And my fuel range is only saying 111 miles but its a full tank!
The secret to life: 👆👆👇👇👈👉b a b a start!

2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Lurch71

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Fuel gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:57:15 am »
Yes, the easiest thing to do is reset the odometer after you fill up.  I usually get the low fuel around 160-180 depending On what type of riding I’m doing.  I fill up at 180-200 miles even though I could probably get 240-250.  There is nothing wrong with your gauge.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 02:13:53 am »
I always reset the trip! Ive had to do that with too many of my other bikes !

2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Lurch71

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 02:24:48 am »
Same thing happens on my Versys1000.  I’ve seen the same issues on other forums with other bikes.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 02:56:49 pm »
What did the range show before you filled up and had the low fuel warning come on?

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 03:39:33 pm »
Before i filled up, it said 30 miles ( i have the warning elim mod). After i filled up (3.9 gallons-160 total on trip before fill up) my range was around 111. When i put the eco mode on it jumped to 130. Im gonna pull the warning mod and see if that is somehow affecting it. Ive been commuting to work the past few days. Its been around 39 f in the mornings.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 04:41:00 pm »
From your description, it sounds like your fuel gauge sender may be out of alignment. The max. range the system will show is often quite low right after a fill-up but you should not be showing a range of 30 miles and be able to take on so little fuel. The tank is a nominal 5.8 gallons but most seem to be right around 6 gallons, and showing a range of 30 miles absolutely be at or a little below one gallon remaining, meaning the tank should take on close to 5 gallons.

I assume you have my low fuel warning eliminator- if so, by all means remove it and see if it makes any difference but that should not be the case; the low fuel range indicator and the fuel gauge are entirely separate, both mechanically (the senders in the fuel tank) as well as the entire circuit of each system.

My best guess would be a bent fuel float or defective sender.

Has the bike always behaved this way?

Please feel free to contact me directly via e-mail (top left of the screen, just under my avatar) if you would like to do so, or post any additional info. or questions on a forum and I will try to assist you if I can.

Brian

Before i filled up, it said 30 miles ( i have the warning elim mod). After i filled up (3.9 gallons-160 total on trip before fill up) my range was around 111. When i put the eco mode on it jumped to 130. Im gonna pull the warning mod and see if that is somehow affecting it. Ive been commuting to work the past few days. Its been around 39 f in the mornings.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 04:57:31 pm »
I would not remove the low fuel warning mod, I do not think it can have any impact. The low fuel warning is triggered by a sensor on the bottom of the fuel pump. The fuel gauge gets its input from a float on a hinged rod and I am pretty sure the range calculation is based on this. I have an 08 so cannot really compare my experience to the bikes with econo mode. However in my experience the range fluctuates pretty dramatically based on throttle application and is also very non-linear. By that I mean its accuracy varies based on fuel level. Due to the complex shape of the tank, tank volume has a non linear effect on the float height. But the last gallon or two of gas is located in a fairy uniform rectangle and that is where the gauge and range calculation are most accurate. However it is likely in that there is variance in how well each bikes fuel gauge is calibrated due to its design, plus the manuafacturer probably factors in a wide safety margin. I think the best way to judge your remaining fuel is to wait for a long level straight and hold steady throttle for as long as possible and keep a record of your fill ups and mileage and rabge readings and establish a baseline for your bike.

I posted this message befor reading Brian's, sorry t o be redundant.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:00:56 pm by lather »

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 05:39:26 pm »
BDF- Im gonna pull the warning elim just to check. Ive only had the bike a few weeks but this is new. I would be surprised if it is the sender unit. Again , still new to the bike but i feel like the fuel gauge has been ‘off’ for a week or so. It would say empty but take around 4 gallons.

Lather- ill try out the range on a straight run. I have a few freeways i can choose from and they are all relatively straight

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 06:22:42 pm »
Yep, by all means, it is easy to remove so easy enough to check. But as I said, the low fuel warning has nothing to do with the fuel level sender, circuitry or calculations done by the ECU.

Did you buy the bike new? And did you buy the low fuel warning circuit from me? Again, please feel free to contact me privately if you feel more comfortable doing that- whatever way works best for you is good with me.

Best of luck,
Brian

BDF- Im gonna pull the warning elim just to check. Ive only had the bike a few weeks but this is new. I would be surprised if it is the sender unit. Again , still new to the bike but i feel like the fuel gauge has been ‘off’ for a week or so. It would say empty but take around 4 gallons.

Lather- ill try out the range on a straight run. I have a few freeways i can choose from and they are all relatively straight
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 07:05:32 pm »
I have no issue going through here!
The bike is a 2013. And i did get the warning elim new. Actually got it last week. Im wondering if maybe I inadvertently pulled something loose when pulling the harness out. I will check all the plugs in the vicinity of the warning elim. Very well coild be operator error!

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 07:46:54 pm »
OK, I found you- purchased on 13 Jan. So first off, if you have any issues with the device or simply do not like it, contact me and it will be corrected.

Back to your current situation, it is <possible> that the other connector behind the fuel tank was disturbed when installing the warning eliminator. I would suggest you check that connector, it is the larger of the two and of course, the one without the low fuel warning eliminator in- line with it. These connectors are all very well sealed and all snap together with an audible 'click'; I would suggest disconnecting the larger one and then reconnecting it just to make sure all of the pins are fully seated. Otherwise, I have never seen or heard of one failing in any way- as I said, the various Japanese connectors used on modern Japanese motorcycles are absolutely excellent in quality and performance, with the possible exception of the bullet connectors (and even those have a very soft, very well- sealing cover on them and if assembled on the bike, rarely fail). Just remove the saddle and fish around behind the fuel tank; both connector sets are there held in place by a clip on the back of the fuel tank.

To expand on this a little more, there are two wiring harnesses connected to the fuel tank of a C-14. One goes to the fuel pump, and the other goes to the fuel gauge. They are completely separate and the only one that has any effect on how much fuel the ECU senses is the one going to the fuel level sender. This is why it is very unlikely it is anything to do with the low fuel warning eliminator. But again, as you are the customer, it is my job to make the situation as positive for you as I can.

Brian

I have no issue going through here!
The bike is a 2013. And i did get the warning elim new. Actually got it last week. Im wondering if maybe I inadvertently pulled something loose when pulling the harness out. I will check all the plugs in the vicinity of the warning elim. Very well coild be operator error!

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 03:50:33 am »
So i didnt get a chance to take the bike out tonight. I did unplug the warning elim and started the bike. Non of the values changed. My dash now says that my range is 101 miles with a full tank. Im gonna go and ride tomorrow and see if anything changes. I did pull the fuel sender plug to see if it was loose or had dirt in it. So we’ll see what happens.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 06:53:40 pm »
I had a question, if it is the sender, should i go with a new one or get on off of eBay? I have a warranty but you never know how thats gonna go!

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 07:55:53 pm »
Well, seeing as these things just do not seem to fail, I would think a used one would be a pretty likely bet to be good. But you can (and I think should) test the original before replacing it anyway; there is a test method shown in the service manual and it is quite simple and easy, provided you have an Ohm meter.

Brian

I had a question, if it is the sender, should i go with a new one or get on off of eBay? I have a warranty but you never know how thats gonna go!

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 09:12:43 pm »
Ok ill look for it. I have a digital copy on my computer. I still need to take the bike out for a spin!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 10:32:37 pm »
Today my fuel gauge showed i was on empty but only took 4 gallons when i filled it up. Anyone else have this happen? And my fuel range is only saying 111 miles but its a full tank!

Use the ODO as a fuel gauge.  The C14 gas gauge is completely SILLY.  It'll do 200+ miles before you are under a gallon left.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 10:42:01 pm »
JTX- I like having the range function. Ive been doing a few iron butt rides and its nice to have somewhat of an idea as to how my mileage looks.

So i did get a chance to take the bike out. I removed the warning elim and rode about 30 miles. The range bounced around, much more drastic than probably what is normal. It fluctuated from 110 miles to 331+. It was all free way riding ( shifting from 4 to od) . But what has me concerned, when i pulled off the freeway ( to turn around and head home), as i jumped back on ( heavy throttle to ease into traffic) the F1 ( or Fl) code bliped on my screen. It disappeared just as fast.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 03:40:10 am »
Just wondering which wires belong to the fuel sender? And what is the voltage? Figured i should check continuity first before i go taking the bike apart  >:D!

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 02:28:38 pm »
Black/ Yellow and White / Yellow.

A continuity test will not be useful, you will want to do a resistance test between those two wires on the sensor side. The manual will give you min / max resistance values for the tank being full or empty but the problem in testing with the tank on the bike will be to manually move the float on the sender; it is somewhat difficult to get a hold of that float arm in the tank through the fuel fill hole.

Brian

Just wondering which wires belong to the fuel sender? And what is the voltage? Figured i should check continuity first before i go taking the bike apart  >:D!

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 07:07:03 pm »
I don't know if this will help any or not.

I pull into a gas station - which is usually at a slow speed and get to a pump and turn off the bike to add gas.
Then when I turn it back on, it quite often will read about 100 mile range plus or minus a little.  Then after riding it a few miles
especially at 55mph or more it will climb to a more real number like 235 mile range.

When It shows a range of 30 or so miles and I pull into get gas I usually put in somewhere between 4 and 5 gallons of fuel.
Meaning I had a gallon or more left in the tank.

The range function swings so wildly that I don't pay much attention to it most of the time.
On an all highway run with the cruise on it's probably in the ballpark.  Very few other times would I trust it.
The miles on that tank so far is probably the most accurate way of telling range.  Even the Average fuel indicator is not all
that accurate because it's a rolling average so it's not going down while your at a long stop light idling.
I routinely show about 46-47mpg on the average gauge but when I do the math it's much closer to 43-44 most of the time.

I have the fuel eliminator too but think it's most useful when on a long highway run and you want to see if you can
make it to the next exit doing a constant speed and not be locked out of the other screens for the last 30 miles or so.

So in a nut shell I don't worry about what the range indicator says especially just after getting fuel.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 07:10:47 pm »
I think my biggest issue right now is my mileage in general. No matter what type of riding i do, i get round 35 mpg. Im going to check the air filter and do an oil change this week and see if that helps. If not , im gonna have to take her in!

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 09:41:04 pm »
I think my biggest issue right now is my mileage in general. No matter what type of riding i do, i get round 35 mpg. Im going to check the air filter and do an oil change this week and see if that helps. If not , im gonna have to take her in!

Do you use the Eco setting?  Biggest thing is to remember to turn it on - as the default is off every time you restart the bike.
I noticed that it does make a fairly big difference in MPG and a fairly small different on power availability.

Try that if you haven't before you take it in.  Can't hurt to try it.

I don't know if you have a cruise or not but when I set the cruise right around 70 + or - a little I get upper 40's to low 50's on the
display which is a rolling average.  But you have to ride a ways to see mileage like that.  20 miles probably won't do it - 100 might.   :great:
Sounds like a good excuse to take it for a long ride.  Also make sure your tires are a 42-44 cold - that should help too.

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 11:07:30 pm »
Just remember that the MPG and Range reading on the dash is only a calculation made by the ECM. There is nothing on the bike that actually measures fuel flow or usage. Only way to know true MPG is through good old math.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Scooter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 11:11:24 pm »
The thing is that up untill about a week ago, it was relatively close. But then suddenly dropped off. I have put roughly 3k miles on it since i bought it 10 weeks ago. I didnt change any fluids since buying it. Im gonna change the oil, clean/replace the air filter and go from there. I know on my yamaha that when its time for an oil change, my mileage takes a hit. Once i do that , ill take it out for a nice long ride and see what happens!