Author Topic: Fuel gauge oddity  (Read 252 times)

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
  • Membership Level: Active
Fuel gauge oddity
« on: July 11, 2019, 05:45:06 pm »
The fuel gauge on my 08, 78,000 miles, did a strange thing today. When I started up the guage showed empty. I was puzzled as I thought I had topped off the tank at the end of my last ride. I toggled on the range and it showed 50 something miles. I checked my trip odometer which I always reset when I fill up and it showed just 21 miles. Once I got under way the bars gradually started showing up on the gauge and the range figure climbed as well  until the gauge showed full and range was 217 miles.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Fuel gauge oddity
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 07:06:52 pm »
Haven’t heard that one. Sounds to me like the sensor was stuck on the low tank position and released to normal once it got bounced on the ride. Might be time to inspect it?  My theory only holds if it was parked with the low setting after filling up. Perhaps you didn’t notice it was correct after the fill up?  If it’s not mechanical it sounds like electrical. Curious what you find.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:03:34 pm »
sounds like it "fixed" itself...  :truce:

possibly during all the fiddling with trying to clear the service codes from the brakes recently, something might have occurred to the fuel sensing parameters, as they go thru the ECU also... Might want to lift the rear of the tank if this happens again, and unplug both the fuel pump and sensor connectors, and re-plug them in.. they are a good connector, and have "seals" on them (just did this all last Sunday)...

sometimes connections need " a clean by disco" service when they are older..  :motonoises: :beerchug: ;)

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Online AwesomeDad

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:21:13 pm »
Ive got a new 17 that I bought in september and I find my range indication is all over the place... Old habits I guess but I always reset the trip meter after every fill up and try to stop every 200 miles or so....

JJ

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:05:51 am »
sounds like it "fixed" itself...  :truce:

possibly during all the fiddling with trying to clear the service codes from the brakes recently, something might have occurred to the fuel sensing parameters, as they go thru the ECU also... Might want to lift the rear of the tank if this happens again, and unplug both the fuel pump and sensor connectors, and re-plug them in.. they are a good connector, and have "seals" on them (just did this all last Sunday)...

sometimes connections need " a clean by disco" service when they are older..  :motonoises: :beerchug: ;)
I had not thought of that  but makes as much sense as anything else.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 11:18:31 am »
Haven’t heard that one. Sounds to me like the sensor was stuck on the low tank position and released to normal once it got bounced on the ride. Might be time to inspect it?  My theory only holds if it was parked with the low setting after filling up. Perhaps you didn’t notice it was correct after the fill up?  If it’s not mechanical it sounds like electrical. Curious what you find.
Here is something I forgot to mention. This is the tank and fuel pump from my 09 that sat for two heays with a blown engine. In April I crashed my 08 and trashed the body work. So I put the 09 plastic and tank on the  08 in May. I did  pull and inspect the pump at that time and all looked pristine.  It is near impossible to miss the fuel bars after a fill up and I am sure It was showing full.
AS MOB said it "fixed itself" whatever it was and I am hoping the fix is permanent.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 11:22:57 am »
Ive got a new 17 that I bought in september and I find my range indication is all over the place... Old habits I guess but I always reset the trip meter after every fill up and try to stop every 200 miles or so....

JJ
The range calculation will fluctuate a lot depending on current ride mode: cruising or accelerating or decelerating. Also depending on fuel level in tank.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 09:28:24 pm »
This sounds like the most likely scenario to me. The way the fuel circuit works there is nothing electrical / electronic that could cause such a reading (low but legitimate). The sender being stuck seems like the obvious problem. The good news is that the tank float is not 'torpedoed' (filled with fuel and sunk to the bottom of the tank) so it should be fine going forward.

You might want to note next time you fill up that the fuel level responds immediately after filling. There is a slight delay in the reporting of the level to avoid the fuel gauge moving when the fuel sloshes in the tank but it should not be more than 30 seconds at most.

Brian

KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com