Author Topic: Fuel Tank removal  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Mark D

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Fuel Tank removal
« on: December 07, 2012, 01:10:22 am »
When removing the tank does all the fuel need to be removed first? Also when pulling off the fuel line from the tank will fuel just gravity feed out or does it only come out when pump is running? Have never had the tank off and wanted to do a bit of maintenance ie: Throttle body inspection and cleaning if needed. Thanks for the wisdom!  ;)

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Fuel Tank removal
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:22:11 am »
   You can remove the tank full if you want. Of course the less fuel in the tank, the lighter it is to lift off for both disconnecting the lines and off the bike all together.  But if it's full, make sure it sits level once off the bike. Otherwise the fuel will run out through the cap/vent. This isn't a problem if the tank has only a little gas in the tank as long as it low enough not to come near the cap. I use blocks of wood with rubber mat or similar to set the tank on and keep it level when it's full.
  As far as the fuel line. You'll probably get just a small splash of fuel when you disconnect the line. But it will not drain out the whole tank.

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:46:35 pm »
Have never had the tank off and wanted to do a bit of maintenance ie: Throttle body inspection and cleaning if needed. Thanks for the wisdom!  ;)

Actually, you don't have to remove the tank or disconnect the fuel line for that....you don't even have to remove the side panels. I just remove the glove box/compartment, pop the side panel pins out of the grommets on each side, unbolt the tank and then lift it up. I use a small piece of 4x4 about 7" long to put between the tank and the frame to prop it up...this leaves you quite a bit of room to access the airbox and throttle bodies from above. I just re-installed my "flies" this way. I don't think it took me an hour start to finish.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Wild_Bill

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9306
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:05:09 pm »
I just propped up the tank with a 2x4 when I removed the flies
Did not need to drain the tank

Bill
Formerly known as Badnews_Bill

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10454
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:30:15 pm »
I dont think one can do this with the 2012 ah? ... cause the glove compartment is on the left side...all crunched up in there making for nearly useless space and more work to remove the left fairing...just syain' here
I am voting for anyone who wasn't there during the government shut-down.

Offline Mark D

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 03:41:19 am »
Great exactly what I needed to know! Thanks for the help!