Author Topic: Fuel vapor smell when parked in garage.  (Read 294 times)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Fuel vapor smell when parked in garage.
« on: January 04, 2018, 03:13:00 am »
Hi!
It happens when EVAP-ectomy is done to FI bike. I know it happens to carburated bike. But an unmolested new-ish bike should be smell free. Right?
Well, not in my case. After every ride, I have to keep garage cracked open to de-smell the bike. If I lean over handlebars(when the engine is still hot), it reeks fuel vapors (as if fuel had been spilled during fill-up). I do not brim the tank, ever.
I've spoken to tech boffins at Kaw dealer, they said not to worry!
People, what say you?

Cheers...

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Fuel vapor smell when parked in garage.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:22:33 am »
I know you to be very mechanically adept, I think some teardown and evaluation is in order. A worst case scenario would be some type of fuel leakage from the FI system, under the plastic. Not much good could come from that, and it would be cause for concern and repair. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 10:35:35 am »
One possibility might be heat from the engine, right under the fuel tank, heating up the fuel as you've parked it and you are getting some normal venting of the fuel vapors.  I noticed you said "If I lean over the handlebars" and this leads me to think you are just getting the normal venting out of the fuel tank cap.

Is there any hint of liquid fuel anywhere under the bike?  In that case I'd follow Steve's advice.
Does this happen if you run the bike in the garage for a few minutes but not long enough to warm-up the engine?  If not then I'd say it's normal.
You might also check the seal around the fuel cap.  If the seal is bad or not installed properly you can get fuel in the area around the cap on top of the fuel tank.  In fact you should be able to see or feel fuel caught there.  You might check that next time you notice the odor.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 11:18:37 am »
Why I have a box fan in front of the bikes in the garage.

Even FI bikes have a slight vapor smell because we don't have charcoal canisters, unless yours is a CA bike.
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Scooter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 12:26:27 pm »
Thanks guys!

Bike exhibits no seepage, leakage or drippage anywhere. Unlike my DL had occasionally driped fuel (only when hot) from tank vent after EVAP-ectomy.   
One thing I notice there is some dirt accumulation on LH side lower fairing, inside there is a tube of some sort. It had some gooey stuff around the end. Smelled like oil/fuel mix. Engine crankcase vent/breather?
It is time for me to check air filter anyways. I'll be removing LH side plastic. I'll peek at what is cooking inside and around TB couplers and FI supply gobbins.
The bike has to be ridden to full operating temp to exhibit the "smell". Also, I do not know if my Connie has charcoal canister. I'll research further.

Cheers...

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 01:42:24 pm »
One thing I notice there is some dirt accumulation on LH side lower fairing, inside there is a tube of some sort. It had some gooey stuff around the end. Smelled like oil/fuel mix. Engine crankcase vent/breather?
It is time for me to check air filter anyways. I'll be removing LH side plastic. I'll peek at what is cooking inside and around TB couplers and FI supply gobbins.

Sorry can't help you with the smell, but I have the same dirty/greasy accumulation on the lower L/H fairing.  So let us know what you find there.  I was thinking maybe I made too much of a mess during oil and filter change or maybe that O-ring everyone talks about.  I only have 5K miles so I am not ready to tear into it just yet.
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Online gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 05:15:52 pm »
When I got my new C14 I filled it up to the top of the fuel filler neck like I always do on the ZX14. But in this case when I parked it the hot engine heated up the C14 tank and I actually had raw fuel coming out from a small hose on the left side faring and dripping onto the garage floor. C14 Manual says not to fill over the tank, but I always did on the other bikes w/o any issues.

I do fill it to the top when I am travelling but never overfill to the top when I come in to park it. No more leakage.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 11:38:44 pm »
Overfill or blocked overfill line from the fuel tank would have been my first guess.

Are the breather lines on the rear of the fuel tank attached correctly??

Agree with Steve -- I'd be looking further into that.

A little bit of fuel smell for a bike in the garage is normal, but if it's prominent - you might have a leak somewheres.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...