Author Topic: Fuse Question  (Read 265 times)

Offline Rob9876

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Fuse Question
« on: May 24, 2018, 03:58:49 pm »
I believe I blew the fuse on my 2015 C14 when I hooked up an air compressor to my stock cigarette lighter outlet.  So, I have some dumb questions:

(1)  Which fuse is it?

(2) What kind of replacement do I need to get?  (is this available at any auto parts place, only motorcycle shops, only Kawa dealers, etc.?)

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Fuse Question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:45:04 pm »
I believe I blew the fuse on my 2015 C14 when I hooked up an air compressor to my stock cigarette lighter outlet.  So, I have some dumb questions:

(1)  Which fuse is it?

(2) What kind of replacement do I need to get?  (is this available at any auto parts place, only motorcycle shops, only Kawa dealers, etc.?)
Its the accessory fuse, in the fuse box under seat. Label Acc if I recall. 5 or 10 amp, just pull it and have a look  Connect a battery charger or heated garment pigtail to your batt and use that for the compressor.

Online AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:49:16 pm »
5 amp for 2010 up and 10 amp for 2008/2009.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:58:06 pm by AmphibSailor »
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline Rob9876

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 07:01:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  So, it's a 5 amp fuse then -- is this a bike-specific fuse, or can I get it at any auto parts store?

Offline bowtie39

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10014
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 08:15:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  So, it's a 5 amp fuse then -- is this a bike-specific fuse, or can I get it at any auto parts store?
Bladed fuses...normal.  Havn't looked lately but may be a spare in fuse box then you need to replace that one if you use it. 
'16 Moondust Gray

Offline Freddy

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 10:04:06 pm »
< snip Connect a battery charger or heated garment pigtail to your batt and use that for the compressor.

..........and ensure you put a fuse, say 25amp, in the +ve feed wire as close as practicable to the battery +ve terminal.   :beerchug:
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 10:35:06 pm »

Standard fuse, buy and carry a variety pack with you, tape it to the top of the mini tool kit box under the seat, with some duct tape...
You can safely install a 10a fuse in place of your 5a one for that circuit, the wire current rating and AWG size is common in the harness, so its safe, but even using a 10a fuse, depending on what you plug in (air pump), it still may pop, as.most mini compressors have an inrush current about 13a af startup.... best bet is to install a fuseblock, wired to the battery, rated at 35 amps, and make all your accessory connections to said fuseblok, you can even backfeed your battery tender into it...  use 10AWG wire from the battery to the block, and do install a 35amp fuse in that positive line... all will be good, and accessable simply by removing the seat, and hooking up to the fuseblock...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Rob9876

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 12:34:14 am »
Thanks everyone!