Author Topic: Gas cap corrosion....do you suppose?  (Read 774 times)

Offline Dirtwiz

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
  • Membership Level: Active
Gas cap corrosion....do you suppose?
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:52:31 pm »
My 2011 has absolutely no corrosion on the gas cap mechanism. Shines like it was brand new. I run ethanol gas 99% of the time in Utah since its the common fuel here. I see people with problems with this corrosion but I over fill mine at the end of each ride so the locking parts are sitting in fuel when parked. My cap looks shiny and like new with not a speck of corrosion. I'm guessing the fact that there is no air in my tank makes the difference on this problem. Anybody else do this?
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 788
Re: Gas cap corrosion....do you suppose?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:07:46 pm »
I suspect the lack of humidity in Utah may have something to do with it. 

Ethanol is an issue mostly because it attracts water vapor. 

I live in Iowa where humidity gets very high, quite often. Ethanol is a continuing problem for me.  Since I've started to run straight gas whenever I can, I've had no problems.  When I was using ethanol blend, carbs would clog up about every two years, and moisture in the tank was a constant battle. 
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline Dirtwiz

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 10:57:54 pm »
Bobs H did you ever try over filling when parked? I can't imagine water problems if there is no room for condensation. You are right about the lack of humidity here for sure so maybe that's it.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:11:00 pm »
You're right, keeping the tank as full as possible reduces the air exposure and thus the moisture. If humid air can't get in, it can't cause trouble.
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 12:03:11 am »
Every time I see reports of gas cap corrosion, I figure I better check mine. I have a 2011 and it looks like New, with no signs of corrosion. I do not fill up after every ride, and live in PA which means humidity and ethanol. Makes you wonder if something else is going on.  :-[
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 01:10:38 am »
I overfill at the end of most rides and no corrosion.

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 01:22:42 am »
I don't think it's the lack of humidity...
My 2012 has been in Florida all it's life. I bought it 14 months ago, and the PO also lives in FL.
Unless he did something to protect it, it's holding up quite well; looks nice and shiny. I fill the tank, ride until it's low, fill it, ride, and repeat.
I know he didn't top it off all the time because he told me about the time he coasted in to a station with 1 mile of range on the display.
I suppose there may be good production lots, and bad ones...

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 01:43:48 am »
But which direction was your bike facing when parked? Really. Facing N,S,E or W. The sunrise, sunset. Moon tidal pull. Fung Shwei. (Not trying to be a smart a$$. Just trying to make you grin  :) ) 2011 60k miles mostly ethanol additive. Henderson NV. Low humidity. Parked on center stand facing east in the Garagio, usually never topped off ;)
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 01:56:01 am »
 :)
 '88 one owner:

Offline Dirtwiz

• Scooter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 07:43:49 pm »
Mark.....you are killing me man....but I too park facing the East. Hmmm? :-\

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »
I have an 08, and am in Utah.   No corrosion issues and I can't say I ever paid much attention to the fuel level. 

There are several Maverik stores, here in Utah, that have the non-ethanol fuel and I do try to run that , if possible.
Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline Syxxphive

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 01:27:58 am »
I have an 08, and am in Utah.   No corrosion issues and I can't say I ever paid much attention to the fuel level. 

There are several Maverik stores, here in Utah, that have the non-ethanol fuel and I do try to run that , if possible.
Utah guy here too. My ‘08 did originally come from Florida. I had to take the cap apart completely just a month after I bought it this summer. Was totally covered in oxidation. Washed it up and coated everything was some antisieze. Doubtful I’ll ever have to do it again.

Offline ZXtasy

• Moped
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 01:59:25 am »
Good one OMOAC, my corrosionless cap of gasage stays just so a long as I sacrifice a cat to Shaitan every full moon.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Locomotiveman

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 04:54:37 am »
My vote: A WHITE motorcycle facing South. Final answer. We all agree, Hot air expands, Colder...contracts. After Hot/Cold. Hot/Cold for several weeks, a Dark, unshaded tank's air in a hot Humid place will inhale more outside air moisture before it condenses, usually every evening. I have seen 2" of water in a Dark colored no-leak 300/Gal. tank that sat in bright sunlight. That's sorta why almost ALL huge fuel tanks are WHITE and rarely RED anymore. Also, they never, ever fill a Propane/LP tank near full in cold weather. Ever.
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline Locomotiveman

• Road Bike
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 06:01:44 am »
But which direction was your bike facing when parked? Really. Facing N,S,E or W. The sunrise, sunset. Moon tidal pull. Fung Shwei. (Not trying to be a smart a$$. Just trying to make you grin  :) ) 2011 60k miles mostly ethanol additive. Henderson NV. Low humidity. Parked on center stand facing east in the Garagio, usually never topped off ;)

But then there's THIS: I KNOW of long fuel tanks that were Spec'd to face North to South. Really.http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4118&context=extensionhist

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 11:25:08 am »
It also says.  :-\

- Do not smoke or light matches around fuel.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 03:12:33 pm »
I always make sure my bike is parked facing Mecca? Maybe thats the difference?

Locomotiveman, I like your ideas, but want to ask a follow up ...

I think several of us have California emissions equipped bikes, or at least Ii THINK we do. Might that charcoal canister we have, for vapor recovery, help/hurt moisture being drawn up into the tank?
Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 05:05:29 pm »
My 09's gas cap has remained corrosion free. It is normally always parked facing North when in the garage.  I have pure 92 gas about 30 miles away. So I run a mix of alcohol contaminated fuel with pure fuel. We do have 87 pure gas which I run the 900 one here in town. Down side is they are proud of it.   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Locomotiveman

• Road Bike
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 09:44:54 pm »
I always make sure my bike is parked facing Mecca? Maybe thats the difference?

Locomotiveman, I like your ideas, but want to ask a follow up ...

I think several of us have California emissions equipped bikes, or at least Ii THINK we do. Might that charcoal canister we have, for vapor recovery, help/hurt moisture being drawn up into the tank?
The EPA and their captive Test Guinea Pigs, military equipment, acknowledge that, yes, Activated Charcoal canisters hold some moisture (water) after the more volatile Hydro-carbons were already removed after each Absorb/Purge cycle when an engine stops and starts. As a biker, I think it would be a stretch to imagine THAT moisture would get back to the tank. I think us bikers need to think far more about the Tank's air cycling in/out, becuz the 'light molecules', especially Butane, cook off first when a near-empty tank sits for days and days; but the WATER vapor condenses on the inner walls, settles to the bottom and NEVER cooks off like the Butane etc. But canister moisture?? Eh... probably not cuz there's so little of it anyway??  But back to the Original Post: It's quite amazing how much water vapor is pulled into a fuel tank if it's near empty; luckily most of it gets burned along with the shloshing gasoline. Anybody remember 'Water Injection' kits from the JC Whitney catalog? I do.

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 11:42:38 pm »
Anybody remember 'Water Injection' kits from the JC Whitney catalog? I do.
Me 2. All the rage during the gas crunch. "Technology bought out and hushed up by Big Oil"  :??: Now JC Whitney is a whole new thread  :beerchug:. Now ya got me thinking if we take all those do not eat silica bags we get from Amazon and suspend them in a tea bag in our tanks...................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :beerchug: Hey Murph, got an idea for ya!  :)) :)) :))
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 04:29:52 pm »
Anybody remember 'Water Injection' kits from the JC Whitney catalog? I do.
Me 2. All the rage during the gas crunch. "Technology bought out and hushed up by Big Oil"  :??: Now JC Whitney is a whole new thread  :beerchug: . Now ya got me thinking if we take all those do not eat silica bags we get from Amazon and suspend them in a tea bag in our tanks...................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :beerchug: Hey Murph, got an idea for ya!  :)) :)) :))

Water injection is how I control detonation on the LSR Turbo bike. At 10psi boost the check valve begins to open supplying the water up until 18psi then goes to a water alcohol mix.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Locomotiveman

• Road Bike
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 03:00:54 am »
The Spin-on filter (5Micron) between my boat's tank and outboard motor sucks so much water n crud outa the fuel it's ridiculous.