Author Topic: Gas Cap Corrosion  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: Gas Cap Corrosion
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 12:42:45 pm »
Never had a problem with my OEM gas sticking. I did buy the same cap that Ted is buying just to try it out. It did not vent well at all, found myself leaving it slightly loose to vent. Also thought it to be more trouble to unscrew it, set it down then screw back on than just using a key.

So I took it off & will just stay with stock.

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 05:33:57 pm »
Others have posted horror stories of the cap being a problem, so when mine acted tight, I bought this.
I then lubed mine and it solved the problem...   :-[
So, at this stage, I'll keep using OEM until/if it becomes a problem.
If it doesn't, I can always sell it to someone that "is" having a problem..

NOTE:  {In your case; It's a shame you already to have one, and aren't having a problem}.
               {I was planning to sell mine to you "and" make a profit.}   >:D

Ride safe, Ted

PS: The reason you've never had a problem is {unlike mine} your bike never sets long e'nuff for anything to corrode.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:52:24 am by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 10:45:30 pm »
We had an old boat (we bought it when it was already old) that had rust in it's steel tank.
As a friend's suggestion, I used Iron Out and it cleaned up the rust completely. You may want to consider this as the rusting only seems very superficial, and a new tank may can rust just like an older one.
Remove the tank, and take off the fuel pump.
Put in Iron Out and slosh it around the areas where there is corrosion, maybe repeat more than once until you're satisfied with the results. When done with Iron Out, rinse it out VERY well. Let it dry and put things back together.
Hopefully the rust was a result of bad behavior from PO, and it won't continue.

What does Iron Out do? Just get rid of the rust or does it etch the inside of the tank? I am looking to clean and possibly coat a tank but some people do not like Por 15. I don't want to etch the entire tank without coating after. But when the rust is gone, I suppose it will just come back because there is no coating anymore.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 12:47:29 am »
I always overfill mine after each ride so the cap internals are soaking in the fuel. I don't have any of this crud in mine after 40,000+ miles and we have 10% Ethanol in my area too.  Does this work for others out there?
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 01:40:07 am »
If you're going top coat the inside of a gas tank your best option is to take it to a radiator shop and have it done professionally. I've repaired many gas tanks by welding them but always had the coating done by a local shop. If the inside isn't ABSOLUTELY clean you will have problems. and you must coat the entire tank. That means etching the metal with acid. Do you really want to get involved with HAZMAT for a one time job? Many of the kits available to consumers will "work" but read the disclaimer before buying.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver