Author Topic: Gas Cap Corrosion  (Read 2870 times)

Offline RobBob

• RobBob
  • Tricycle
  • RobBob
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Gas Cap Corrosion
« on: July 03, 2016, 09:30:14 pm »
I posted about my ordeal with gas cap corrosion Back in May 2012... well - the problem has obviously not gone away - mostly because automotive fuel is mandated to have 10% ethanol in my area (and marine gas is not handy). I use Deep Creep on my locking mechanism and it works better than anything else. I am also fairly vigilant about keeping water-removing fuel additives in the tank.
Here's a couple of photos of my gas cap "barnacles".
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7541/27453409373_992e4379aa_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7328/27453411233_eda3ab0a74_b.jpg
And this is the result after cleaning with Deep Creep/tooth brush to free up the mechanism.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7317/27453413263_aa333acd06_b.jpg
It works very well after cleaning, despite being a moonscape.

I have decided to go with the Vortex V3 Fuel Cap part#CG430K. It seems to have the best venting (some keyless caps have none!) Revzilla says this part will fit my bike - other parts sites disagree.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/vortex-fuel-cap-for-late-model-kawasaki#fitment_tab
Here's a good review:
https://youtu.be/6YKPGsI-zQk

Has anyone here switched over to a keyless gas cap? Better process to fight corrosion?
Under the law of nature, all men are born free, every one comes into the world with a right to his own person, which includes the liberty of moving and using it at his own will. This is what is called personal liberty, and is given him by the Author of nature, because necessary for his own sustenance.
--Thomas Jefferson: Legal Argument, 1770. FE 1:376

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Gas Cap Corrosion
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 09:48:21 pm »
That looks horendous...
We have alky fuel here in ohio, and I grease my latching pawls regularly, to prevent lockup..

I suggest yo siply remove the casting, carefully, and diassemple it, cleaning each part, and blast that casting with a durable fuel proof paint like Imron, or some other stuff.. the latch bars are steel, so sfrubbing them well, and greasing them should suffice..

Ymmv

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 10:27:39 pm »
You must have some crappy gas around there, I have 40,000 miles on mine & it still looks like new. Never cleaned or lubed & here in Florida almost all gas is 10%.
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11153
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 11:10:26 pm »
I posted about my ordeal with gas cap corrosion Back in May 2012... well - the problem has obviously not gone away - mostly because automotive fuel is mandated to have 10% ethanol in my area (and marine gas is not handy). I use Deep Creep on my locking mechanism and it works better than anything else. I am also fairly vigilant about keeping water-removing fuel additives in the tank.
Here's a couple of photos of my gas cap "barnacles".
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7541/27453409373_992e4379aa_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7328/27453411233_eda3ab0a74_b.jpg
And this is the result after cleaning with Deep Creep/tooth brush to free up the mechanism.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7317/27453413263_aa333acd06_b.jpg
It works very well after cleaning, despite being a moonscape.

A little pricey for a replacement cap isn't it? No idea on quality or anything but a quick search on Amazon has them for half that and less. Also no corrosion on my 2012 with 43,000 miles before I traded it in. Have a look at what Amazon has.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=concours+14+gas+cap

I have decided to go with the Vortex V3 Fuel Cap part#CG430K. It seems to have the best venting (some keyless caps have none!) Revzilla says this part will fit my bike - other parts sites disagree.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/vortex-fuel-cap-for-late-model-kawasaki#fitment_tab
Here's a good review: https://youtu.be/6YKPGsI-zQk
Has anyone here switched over to a keyless gas cap? Better process to fight corrosion?
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sold....
2012 Concours 14 Traded In
2015 Concours 14

Offline RobBob

• RobBob
  • Tricycle
  • RobBob
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 04:16:12 pm »
I have discovered that I can find the Vortex V3 gas cap for $89 shipped... and I can get the OEM gas cap for $98 shipped. I have changed the tumblers on my locks for the entry doors of my house. Is the locking mechanism similar to most? Is it very difficult to get to?
I'm only worried about tempering/theft when I travel...
Under the law of nature, all men are born free, every one comes into the world with a right to his own person, which includes the liberty of moving and using it at his own will. This is what is called personal liberty, and is given him by the Author of nature, because necessary for his own sustenance.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 04:24:24 pm »
My riding friend has them on all his bikes and has never had anyone mess with his cap. The only thing he has ever said is once in a while he gets a whiff of gas smell. He never gets off his bikes to gas up, but he never runs a tank bag like I do.

I have the Vortex cap in my Amazon wish list, interestingly it says it fits my 2006 ZX14, but not the 2013 C14 and they have exactly the same OEM caps AFAIK.

PS: I have zero corrosion underneath my cap.

PSS: You cannot lock the V3 cap, is a screw on screw off,  no key
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 05:31:35 pm »
My gas cap was a bit "stiff". I bought this one last year, works great, good quality construction- CNC'd Aluminum, pretty inexpensive ($34) for what your getting compared to what's listed above. Verdict: I'd do it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-CNC-Quick-Lock-Release-Fuel-Cap-Kawasaki-Concours-14-2011-2012-/151725186078?hash=item2353869c1e

BTW: Mine is only a half turn to get on off, no threads- but it seals/mates great!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:57:00 pm by NYbiomed »
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 05:31:45 pm »
I really prefer to use E0 gas in my C14 especially when I know it's going to sit for a while, like over the winter.  There are several places nearby that sell it and I've found that this web site:

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Is really helpful in finding stations selling it. 
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline RobBob

• RobBob
  • Tricycle
  • RobBob
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 02:45:23 pm »
I guess we have to fix this problem ourselves... Here's the Kawasaki response:

====
Thank you for contacting Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. Sorry to hear you are having this issue. Yes, the ethanol is a problem because it absorbs water. This is an issue affecting all manufacturers. There has not been any change to the gas caps to avoid this problem. Once corrosion starts it's nearly impossible to reverse. Your best bet is with a new cap and a fuel additve with water absorbtion.

Paul Lach
Customer Analyst

Kawasaki Motors Corp., USA
26972 Burbank
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
Direct line: 949-716-0408
======

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 03:19:29 pm »
I guess we have to fix this problem ourselves... Here's the Kawasaki response:

====
Thank you for contacting Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. Sorry to hear you are having this issue. Yes, the ethanol is a problem because it absorbs water. This is an issue affecting all manufacturers. There has not been any change to the gas caps to avoid this problem. Once corrosion starts it's nearly impossible to reverse. Your best bet is with a new cap and a fuel additve with water absorbtion.

Paul Lach
Customer Analyst

Kawasaki Motors Corp., USA
26972 Burbank
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
Direct line: 949-716-0408
======

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Did you seriously expect more from them?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Coming from the guy at Kaw, whose title is...
Customer Anal yst

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 03:38:39 pm »
E0 should be the standard.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11459
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 09:36:44 pm »
My gas cap was a bit "stiff". I bought this one last year, works great, good quality construction- CNC'd Aluminum, pretty inexpensive ($34) for what your getting compared to what's listed above. Verdict: I'd do it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-CNC-Quick-Lock-Release-Fuel-Cap-Kawasaki-Concours-14-2011-2012-/151725186078?hash=item2353869c1e

BTW: Mine is only a half turn to get on off, no threads- but it seals/mates great!
:iagree:

Norm
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline Bikergofast

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 07:07:08 pm »
I may have to start searching for a new tank; the pictures I took of the inside of my tank will show the brown crystals that seem to grow when the fuel level is low enough. I suspected there was some corrosion when I was refueling once and looked inside in bright daylight, but today with a flashlight I saw the dark brown grit that has appeared. 

Originally I was going to ask what brand of Injector cleaner do people suggest, but as soon as I can get pictures to show up you'll see the real situation, it's worse than I thought. The previous owner must not have filled the tank for a few winters'.  :-[  So I'm planning for the worst: new tank, filter, and or fuel pump.  Heck I'm thinking injector cleaner will loosed this crud and make the problem worse than it is now!

Offline RobBob

• RobBob
  • Tricycle
  • RobBob
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 07:29:01 pm »
I cannot imagine what is going on with your tank. Maybe water is creeping through the lock...
My gas cap was so corroded that I was having venting issues. I replaced it with a Vortex GC430K
Old OEM Cap
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4159/34374783172_8682fe4251_b.jpg
New Vortex
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4175/34494326846_b992927f5b_b.jpg

Offline ZXtasy

• Bicycle
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 08:18:54 pm »
There are some great corrosion removal products on the market, but you have a serous lead on it in your tank. Soak the cap in WD-40.

Take it easy on Paul at Kawi HQ, he was very cool too me and got me a private tour on a drop in last March when I was down there on vacation.

And lastly on refueling while seated...have personally seen one fire and one crotch scalding overfill happen to riding acquaintances over the years...will not see me doing it.

2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 11:15:15 pm »
    The mentioned WD-40 is a solvent. It will loosen stuff up, but if you don't clean the WD out of the cap, you'll have more problems to deal with. As I said, the WD-40 is a solvent, but not meant to be a lubricant. It will dry and leave a yellow residue that will gum up the works. I have seen it do just that on motorcycle gas caps.
    Just a suggestion. The WD-40 probably will loosen up gunk, but make sure you wash it out with a heavy dose of a good lock lubricant when you're done. I use a very fine oil called semaphore oil on things like the locking mechanism as well as the key hole itself.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:19:28 pm by Cap'n Bob »

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 09:46:26 am »
We had an old boat (we bought it when it was already old) that had rust in it's steel tank.
As a friend's suggestion, I used Iron Out and it cleaned up the rust completely. You may want to consider this as the rusting only seems very superficial, and a new tank may can rust just like an older one.
Remove the tank, and take off the fuel pump.
Put in Iron Out and slosh it around the areas where there is corrosion, maybe repeat more than once until you're satisfied with the results. When done with Iron Out, rinse it out VERY well. Let it dry and put things back together.
Hopefully the rust was a result of bad behavior from PO, and it won't continue.

Online connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 03:46:21 pm »
My cap was also getting difficult to open with the key.
Don't see any apparent corrosion (without disassembly).
For now, I just lubricated everything with 3 in 1 oil and it is working fine.
Will keep doing that until I have to go to the next step.

I came across a post for a keyless gas cap for a C-10, liked the design/price,,  and pursued that.
Was able to find the same cap for a C-14, and ordered 1 {in black}.

If anyone is interested, here is where I found it.
  The seller "gas-cap-dude", answered all of my questions, and was EZ to work with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251245016943&rmvSB=true

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 07:16:36 pm »
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline Gigantor

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9242
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 02:23:59 am »
My cap was also getting difficult to open with the key.
Don't see any apparent corrosion (without disassembly).
For now, I just lubricated everything with 3 in 1 oil and it is working fine.
Will keep doing that until I have to go to the next step.

I came across a post for a keyless gas cap for a C-10, liked the design/price,,  and pursued that.
Was able to find the same cap for a C-14, and ordered 1 {in black}.

If anyone is interested, here is where I found it.
  The seller "gas-cap-dude", answered all of my questions, and was EZ to work with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251245016943&rmvSB=true

Ride safe, Ted

Ted,
I purchased the same gas cap from Amazon but I haven't installed it yet.  It's not a quick off, there's threads on the cap.  There were no instructions but a little zip lock bag with lube in it saying to lube the seal before installing.  How do you like yours, are you concerned with cross threading the cap?

Alex
1988 CBR600  Long Gone
1985 VF750   Sold
1996  Royalstar Sold
1993  CBR1000F  Shouldn't have Sold
2003  C-10  Sold
2008  C-14  Destroyed
2008  C-14  So Far So Good
COG 9242   AMA 1082581  ROK ROK100028645

Offline currenv

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11913
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 02:32:22 am »
Replying to Connie_Rider and others who have had stiff key action on their locking gas cap...

I know there are various solutions.  I really like Penephite by Kano (they're the same people who make Kroil).  Penephite is a penetrating oil with graphite in it.  Shake it up well and then spray a little in the lock.  The initial penetrant frees it up and then the graphite left behind keeps it working smoothly.  I do mine about once a year.

Also, I've found that Penephite makes a great cable lube.  Again, the graphite left behind helps long after the oil has evaporated away.

Here's a link to the stuff on Amazon -- a little spendy but it works well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Penephite-Graphited-Penetrationg-PENEPHITE/dp/B005XUIXOM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1508988446&sr=1-1&keywords=penephite

Vinnie

Online connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 04:11:35 pm »
Thanks Vinnie.
Appreciated... I'll get some..
I'll keep lubricating mine until/if it becomes a problem, and then install the non locking.

Gigantor, I haven't received mine yet.

NYbiomed, I like that one too.
Do you know if that cap has vent/check valves in it?
This one supposedly does.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline Road Runner

• Bicycle
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 01:31:25 am »
Thanks Vinnie.
I'll keep lubricating mine until/if it becomes a problem, and then install the non locking.

Ride safe, Ted

I use Remington gun oil and works like a champ for 6+ months, then re-lube. Not wasting $s on something that's not broken so I can invest $s to more interesting farkles ... like saving up for Steve's EVO Flash. To each his/her own...  :-)
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 06:15:01 am »
Thanks Vinnie.

Ride safe, Ted

I do recall seeing a small hole/vent in mine, which looks very much the same. I kinda find it hard to believe you can get such a finely milled honkin piece of aluminum so cheap and shipped too!  Really, the manufacturer should be losing money on each piece sold on just the material cost alone.
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Online connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 12:19:42 pm »
I agree about the cost, I assume their coming from China..
Fine with me, as long as it works..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)