Author Topic: Gas cap lock removal  (Read 476 times)

Offline Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Gas cap lock removal
« on: October 01, 2017, 01:45:19 pm »
COGgers,
I've seen a few threads about stuck gas caps.  But I have not been able to find a thread about removing the gas cap?  Do I need to remove the bezel around the cap?  Or do I just need some more patience while I find some better graphite lube?  I'd left the bike sit for a couple of months in my garage (got a new convertible and the Connie has been neglected).  When I decided to go for a ride the other day I noticed a white corrosion near the lock mechanism.  And the key won't turn to open the tank for refueling.  Looking for a quick method to get the gas cap off, then I'll determine if proper lube will solve my issues or I'll just invest in a new cap.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Gas cap lock removal
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:52:06 am »
Removing the bezel will not help since the lock latches itself under the lip of the tank opening, preventing the assembly from being removed.

I'd try some penetrating lube at this point and gently working the key both in and out and gently twisting it to try to loosen it up.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 11:01:34 am »
Removing the bezel will not help since the lock latches itself under the lip of the tank opening, preventing the assembly from being removed.

I'd try some penetrating lube at this point and gently working the key both in and out and gently twisting it to try to loosen it up.
Crap....have soaked it with spray graphite for now.

Offline jas

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10108
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 11:37:34 am »
Been there, done that.  Yes, I attempted to remove my cap to then attempt to free it up off the bike.  Unfortunately, once closed, you can't remove it.  I sprayed WD-40 around the perimeter of the lock cylinder and repeatedly attempted to lightly turn the key.  That said, what is really stuck is the two tabs at the bottom of the cap.  The lock cylinder itself will most likely spin, but it is the two locking tabs and I guess the internal mechanism that are preventing the lock cylinder from turning. It helps to push down on the cap to remove pressure on the the two locking tabs.  I used a rubber mallet and repeatedly lightly tapped on the lid while attempting to turn the key back and forth in the hope that the WD-40 would get down into the mechanism and free it up.  Eventually I was able to get the lid open. It took quite awhile.  Be patient.  Don't put too much force on the key while turning.  The last thing you want to do is to break off the key in the cylinder.  I believe it was MOB that suggested to remove the tank to get the cap off.  That is probably the right thing to do, but I did eventually manage to get the cap free by slowly working on it. I have now switched to an aftermarket non-locking cap.  Good luck!

Offline Bogie

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:09:24 pm »
I have now switched to an aftermarket non-locking cap.  Good luck!

Just picked up a new to me 09 and struggled a bit to get the cap open.  I am going to go to keyless like all my previous bikes.

Does the ZX14 caps work on the C14? 

Thanks,

Brian

Offline OKC14

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:55:47 pm »

Just picked up a new to me 09 and struggled a bit to get the cap open.  I am going to go to keyless like all my previous bikes.

Thanks,

Brian

Yes, 08+ ZX14 aftermarket caps will work on the C14.  The gas tank covers and caps are identical between the two.

Offline Bogie

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 01:25:35 pm »
Thanks brutha

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:25:33 pm »
Been there, done that.  Yes, I attempted to remove my cap to then attempt to free it up off the bike.  Unfortunately, once closed, you can't remove it.  I sprayed WD-40 around the perimeter of the lock cylinder and repeatedly attempted to lightly turn the key.  That said, what is really stuck is the two tabs at the bottom of the cap.  The lock cylinder itself will most likely spin, but it is the two locking tabs and I guess the internal mechanism that are preventing the lock cylinder from turning. It helps to push down on the cap to remove pressure on the the two locking tabs.  I used a rubber mallet and repeatedly lightly tapped on the lid while attempting to turn the key back and forth in the hope that the WD-40 would get down into the mechanism and free it up.  Eventually I was able to get the lid open. It took quite awhile.  Be patient.  Don't put too much force on the key while turning.  The last thing you want to do is to break off the key in the cylinder.  I believe it was MOB that suggested to remove the tank to get the cap off.  That is probably the right thing to do, but I did eventually manage to get the cap free by slowly working on it. I have now switched to an aftermarket non-locking cap.  Good luck!

Spraying stuff into the lock cylinder is futile, think about it, if lube could get to the locking bars in that manner, fuel could exit in that manner... and it doesn't...

As with the old C10, my best recomendation is to remove the tank from the bike, and turn it upside down, this allows gasoline to wet the internal components and locking bars, which will then allow you to actuate the lock to release once uprighted... also, press down firmly on the lid while doing so.
Tapping on the lid with a rubber mallet also assists when its inverted, and d helps a bit...
Best of luck.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Syxxphive

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 01:15:53 am »
I had to completely disassemble my gas cap a few weeks ago. Cleaned all the sliding surfaces and lubed everything heavily with anti-seize. I will most likely never have to do it again. If you do go that route, be careful, there are about 8 springs in the whole thing. But it’s pretty simple to disassemble and put back together.

Offline Bogie

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 11:42:25 pm »

Thanks,

Brian

Yes, 08+ ZX14 aftermarket caps will work on the C14.  The gas tank covers and caps are identical between the two.

Got it today!!  :great:

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 01:19:42 am »
WEll, seems like I lucked out.  The corrosion I saw was on the top of the mechanism around the cylinder.  THe graphite lube worked :13:
Once I got the tank opened I saw no corrosionat all on the bottom of the mechanism or the locking tabs.  But I still gave everything a nice shot
of lube before buttoning it back up.