Author Topic: GLOVE BOX WON'T CLOSE  (Read 374 times)

Offline RICH59

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12505
  • Membership Level: Active
GLOVE BOX WON'T CLOSE
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:14:41 pm »
Several times this summer, I'd open the glove box on my 2015 C14 only to have the locking mechanism jam in the open position.  I'd have to play with the button and latch a few times to get it to work again.  Then everything is fine for a few days until it happens all over again.  I'm thinking of spraying some WD40 onto the locking area.

Is anyone else having a similar issue? 

Offline Bumblebee

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12745
Re: GLOVE BOX WON'T CLOSE
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:53:02 pm »
I have the 2015 model as well.  The solenoid failed about a month after the warranty expired.  A new solenoid is worth $160 here in Canada.
I also noticed that the latch was sticking.  Considering that the box is too small to be useful, I removed the solenoid and use the box to store the usual non valuable items.  (Maps, etc.)  Frankly, I found that the electric lock was a PITA.  I tried WD40 to lube the latch but it did nothing.  The best thing is silicone lube.  I spray a bit into the latch from time to time and have had no problems this summer. 

If you are interested in removing the solenoid, search this site.  Someone - I wish I could remember who - went into it in great detail which included photos.  It's really not that complicated and the box can be removed, neutered and re-installed in a matter of fifteen or so minutes.  Good luck.     

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:09:22 pm »
I have the 2015 model as well.  The solenoid failed about a month after the warranty expired.  A new solenoid is worth $160 here in Canada.
I also noticed that the latch was sticking.  Considering that the box is too small to be useful, I removed the solenoid and use the box to store the usual non valuable items.  (Maps, etc.)  Frankly, I found that the electric lock was a PITA.  I tried WD40 to lube the latch but it did nothing.  The best thing is silicone lube.  I spray a bit into the latch from time to time and have had no problems this summer. 

If you are interested in removing the solenoid, search this site.  Someone - I wish I could remember who - went into it in great detail which included photos.  It's really not that complicated and the box can be removed, neutered and re-installed in a matter of fifteen or so minutes.  Good luck.   

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/glove-compartment-auto-lock/
Was this the thread you're referring to?  It doesn't remove the solenoid, it does allow for opening the box with the ignition off though.

Offline Bumblebee

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12745
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:27:29 pm »
Thanks Bud.  That's the site.  I started by removing the link, then the actual solenoid about a week later.  I think there's a follow up somewhere, but removing the actual solenoid is simplicity itself, a matter of two small screws and a nut.  If memory serves, the metal bracket that holds the solenoid has to be reinstalled to secure the plastic cover.         

Offline Waxbean

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11759
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:36:48 pm »
I got rid of the solenoid and never looked back. I hated the hassle and if someone wanted in to look for valuables, they would just break it anyway.  win win

Cheers Martin
2014 Concours 14 Red
1991 Connie sold
1996 KLR sold
2006 Ninja 650 sold
Dang I'm down to one bike...but its a good one!

Offline RICH59

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:30:30 pm »
I don't know if that would help me because the problem that I'm having is that the cover won't always stay closed after I open it.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 06:47:32 pm »
Mine won't open!!!! :beerchug:

Going to remove the solenoid
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 08:22:55 pm »
So I took the GB all apart, there is a small plastic pin protrusion on the button that the solenoid blocks so the button cannot be pushed down. That small pin was out of the hole and off to the side a bit so when I pressed the button the pin was hard against a surface. So pulled all the stuff off, I can see how doing the solenoid removal will make the GB a manual and not locking for sure. But I cleaned up the mechanism trimmed the pin a bit and reassembled. Works great now. The button has these small flat tabs on each side that slide in a slot as you press the button, man what a poor design, the potential to snag and not work smoothly is huge if debris gets in there. I used some oil and grease mixture to make it operate smooth again.

Oh, I said I could not get my GB door open, but once on a trip when the KIPASS went bye bye I was able to grab the GB door pull to the left side and pull up and the door popped off to get my wallet did that this time too.

I don't put anything in the GB anymore BTW.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 08:37:26 pm »
Oh, if you want to make it manual and never have that plastic pin get in the way like mine did, just remove the button, clip off the plastic pin and call it a day after removing the solenoid and locking mechanism.

I may do this down the road.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:57 pm »
that's a bunch of non functioning g/b's on the barely 3 year old bike...
and that's just a g/b failure, bummer... when other things go wrong, it would pay to have taken the plunge prior to warranty expirations...  between the g/b, and the tire monitors, which will go for certain, the extension cost would have paid for itself.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/gtpp-36-month-extension-for-$339-updated-2232013/

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 10:11:03 pm »

+2 on the silicone spray...I cleaned and sprayed mine a good year+ ago and haven't had a problem since. Come to think of it I should probably give it a spray again.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 12:08:59 am »
I had this problem last week, bought some grafite spray and sprayed very little on the latch and worked it a few times. That and gas cap work like new now!

Offline PNWBlur

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 08:02:53 am »
I don't know if that would help me because the problem that I'm having is that the cover won't always stay closed after I open it.

My 4 month old 2018 C14 has been doing this the whole time Rich. I haven't asked the dealer about it yet. I used to just, I guess, lightly slam the cover and it would catch in 2 or 3 tries. Now I just pull the button back up. On mine, its stuck down and putting the tip of my finger in there about a 1/4" and pulling up lightly on the button itselt does it. Don't know if yours is the same. Goodluck!

Online ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 10:52:05 am »
My GB latch has been useless since almost day 1.

I took it all apart trimmed and lubed per the original thread, and that helped for a short time, but now back to less than 50% reliable.
Next time I have the tupperware off, i shall neuter that worthless mutt.  ::)

....which reminds me -- i need to lube my gas tank lock as well.....

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline RICH59

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 11:10:17 am »
PNW, my door acts exactly like you describe.  I have also resorted to slamming it a few times to get it to work.

I'm going to lube the mechanism and see how that goes.  Thanks to all for your advise.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 01:24:34 pm »
If you do decide to remove the solenoid I would would also clip off the small diameter plastic pin. Because if you lift up on the button and the pin comes out of the pilot hole then you will be unable to press on the button and get the door open like mine was. I had to force the door open so I could get at the push pins and bolt at the bottom of the GB to remove the assembly.

On my way to COTA for the Formula One race this weekend!!!!  :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.