Author Topic: Going to pick up my NEW 2014 Concours 14 this weekend  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Joe

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Going to pick up my NEW 2014 Concours 14 this weekend
« on: March 27, 2017, 08:07:13 pm »
So, I got a great deal on a 2014 Concourse 14. Sometime after I paid for the bike - but before I pick(ed) it up (the bike is 350 miles away), the dealer accidently damaged the tank and had to order a new one. Tank will arrive at the dealer today (ish) and I plan to pick up the bike this weekend. I plan on riding the bike back, but because of the time of year and the trip will be across Montana and Idaho my plan is to borrow a co-workers motorcycle tow dolly (raises the front wheel and the rear wheel free wheels) and have it in my truck if the weather forces me to use it. My co-worker drug his Connie back from Seattle with this setup with no issues. My 2 questions:
1) Thoughts on this tow setup (or should I just put the bike in the bed of my PU)
2) Break in suggestions on a 350 mile trip - my plan is to shift gears often to vary the RPMs - shift every 5-10 mins

Thanks,
Joe

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Going to pick up my NEW 2014 Concours 14 this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:25:48 pm »
The C14 is a big bike, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable getting it in or out of a pickup bed.  Also if you rest the rear on the tailgate you might buckle it and I'm sure you'd be really sad. Don't tow it with the rear wheel on the ground!  The transmission will always move when the rear wheel is moving but the oil circulation is from the engine-driven oil pump.  You can cause damage due to lack of lubrication if you tow like this.

If you can't ride it home, get a trailer that will get both wheels off the ground.

Do NOT strap it down using the handlebars, they are aluminum and will snap!  Use soft-ties on the lower triple-tree clamp taking care to avoid pinching any brake lines.  Cinch it down pretty tight.  Then I like to just use one strap across the final drive housing to keep the back from bouncing around.

Also be sure to closely check EVERYTHING for damage.  The first thing that comes to my mind with a damaged tank is that they dropped it.  I can't believe that the tank would be the only thing damaged.  Here is a trick that I use, act like you're cleaning the bike with your hand, look and feel for any damaged body panels.  I'm guess you paid for a "new" bike, not a wrecked one.  If it's not right either make them fix it right or get some financial consideration.

Note that the underside of the tank has panels covering it.  These are NOT a part of the new fuel tank but are separate items.  It's impossible to peel these off and get them to stick again, so they either glued them on or just left them off and figured you'd miss it.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:52:23 pm by jwh20 »
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 08:54:44 pm »
The dealer should brief you on the proper break-in but it's also in the OWNERS MANUAL.

0-500 miles keep the engine speed UNDER 4,000 rpm.
500-1000 miles, keep the engine speed UNDER 6,000 rpm.

Offline Sppd796

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:55:45 pm »
I'd load it in the be of the pick up. I'm sure they have a ramp or loading dock you can you to get it in.

When you unload simply back up to a hill or rise, cuts down on the steepness of the ramp.

You won't buckle a tailgate. At least I never have in 20 plus years hauling bikes....

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:57:35 pm »
 Had the C10 which is not that much less heavy in my pickups several times both full size and mid size trucks. No damage on tailgates.
Also used the tie downs on bars with soft straps plus additional tie downs on rear to stabilize.

Offline Joe

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:02:44 pm »
Note that the underside of the tank has panels covering it.  These are NOT a part of the new fuel tank but are separate items.  It's impossible to peel these off and get them to stick again, so they either glued them on or just left them off and figured you'd miss it.

If anyone has pics of this, that would be great.

The dealer claimed they dropped a tool on it, and that it was not dropped. I will look it over close, thanks for the suggestions.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:08:15 pm »
See the attached image for some of the parts.  There may be others.

Offline WANDRNG

• Street Cruiser
  • SouthWest AAD
    • Wandering Back Roads
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12077
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 09:25:26 pm »
I'd load it in the be of the pick up. I'm sure they have a ramp or loading dock you can you to get it in.

When you unload simply back up to a hill or rise, cuts down on the steepness of the ramp.

You won't buckle a tailgate. At least I never have in 20 plus years hauling bikes....

Had an '84 Honda V65 Magna leave a "dent" (wasn't quite the level of something I would call a buckle)  in a 2000ish Ford Ranger tailgate when it went over a fairly hefty bump in the road.  (it was the 4th or 5th time we had moved it in the same Ranger before this happened - so some what of an anomaly and it was a BIG unexpected bump)

UHaul has motorcycle specific trailers in many places as mentioned in this thread.
http://forum.cog-online.org/cog-web-forum-discussions/trouble-posting-images-from-google-photos/msg585560/#msg585560
Maybe get is where the bike is only if you need it

Life is too short to live the same day twice.
2015 Concours 14 -- 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 -- 2003 Honda Magna 750 -- 2 V65 Magnas
Wandering Back Roads: RRs -- Wandering the Northwest -- Heading East Out West

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 09:36:18 pm »
Most important hting nobody here mentioned....
MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL THE FOBS AND KIPASS KEYS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP.....

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 09:43:06 pm »
MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL THE FOBS AND KIPASS KEYS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP.....

Excellent point!  With a 2014 model you should get TWO FOBs:

1) The KiPass (i.e. large) FOB that has a slot with a key in it.  Test the key and make sure it works!!
2) The Key Immobilizer (i.e. credit card) FOB that also has a key in it.  You have to put the KiPass FOB out of range (at least 10 ft. away) and hold this just on top of the steering lock.  The bike should unlock.

Note that FOB #1 also has a Key Immobilizer function in it.  Take the battery out of the FOB and test that also.  That gives you 3 ways to unlock and start the bike.

Be sure you get both and that both work.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 10:00:57 pm »
I've hauled Connie's in pickups many times.
Hauling it is not a problem.
Tying it down takes a little work/cussing/patience.

Getting it in/out of the truck,,, I suggest a good ramp and 3 people.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 10:20:13 pm »
Hi,
        Well....I would not want to try to get my 2012 C14 up in the back of my pick up! :(

She's a heavy girl, and I've wrestled her, on a bike lift a time or two! :o

Not a Ninja! :-X

U-Haul, rents trailers for pretty cheap.... :great:

Just a thought! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Joe

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 10:21:05 pm »

Excellent point!  With a 2014 model you should get TWO FOBs:

1) The KiPass (i.e. large) FOB that has a slot with a key in it.  Test the key and make sure it works!!
2) The Key Immobilizer (i.e. credit card) FOB that also has a key in it.  You have to put the KiPass FOB out of range (at least 10 ft. away) and hold this just on top of the steering lock.  The bike should unlock.

Note that FOB #1 also has a Key Immobilizer function in it.  Take the battery out of the FOB and test that also.  That gives you 3 ways to unlock and start the bike.

Be sure you get both and that both work.
I read this in the newbie section - good info, thanks.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9812
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 10:25:02 pm »
1 day trailer rental $50 bucks. Bike falls down wile trying to get it out of pickup while onlookers film. Priceless!
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 10:46:39 pm »
Dress warm, watch the weather, Ride IT! It's half the adventure. Weather turns to poop, get a hotel room, look out the window admiring your new sexy beast while reading the owners manual cover to cover. Twice! Congrats! C U at the Bun Cooler?
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 We gonna dance! Danke Schoen

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 01:33:40 am »
Joe,
Here is my take on break-in. I had been a ASE certified Master Tech for a number of years, (long ago though). Forget about the low RPM garbage.
Get the bike running and do several moderate to hard acceleration runs with corresponding engine braking decals.  Run it up to 60 or 70 or a bit more if you have space and clear sight lines, in second gear and then let off the throttle and let the engine braking slow you down to about 20-30 MPH. Do this 10-15 times and your motor is broken in far better than it would ever break in keeping the RPM low. Then enjoy the ride home!
Matt

2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 01:47:47 am »
^^^ There are several different schools of thought on break in. In this case I agree with Matt. I bought my 11 in No Carolina and rode it home to southern NV. I asked the service manager about break in. He said ride it like ya stole it. Well I didn't go that far but............ I did have the oil changed in Evansville IN at around 700 miles so it was documented to Ma Kaw after a couple of blasts through the dragon. IMHO it has more to do with heat cycles than anything else. Heat her up, let her cool, Heat her up, let her cool. After breaking in several 2 strokes this way (and yes, I know there is a difference thanks) it works. 55k on the 14 hunney now and doing the valves for the 2nd time. Runs like a top. Just my .02
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 We gonna dance! Danke Schoen

Offline Kman

• Moped
  • COG#: 10569
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 10:44:50 am »
RE "breaking in," I've been amazed at the variety of techniques used, but have ever seen a write up of someone who had serious issues related to a bad break in.  Some thoughts:

1. Most consider break-in only in terms of the engine, but there are many other systems/parts to consider including tires and brakes (there are some interesting articles on the proper way to bed brakes: https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85)
2. There are tradeoffs between longevity and performance. When breaking-in a racing engine you want to achieve maximum power output quickly but you only need the engine to last for the duration of the race.
3. Perhaps the most important factor for proper break-in is the rider, especially if new to the power and weight of the C14.  This is a very formidable machine and particularly tricky when first maneuvering at low speed.
4. I followed the manual to the letter making sure not to keep the engine at any single RPM for more than a few minutes, and also did occasional full throttle accelerations and coast downs. I've had absolutely no issues with the engine and don't expect to have any ever.  As for power, a picture is worth a thousand words :-\!
2012 Black, PR4GTs, Guhl Flash, CS1 Slip-on, Blaster X Brake Flasher, Cree 10W Lights, H4 Extreme Bulbs, Baldwin Heated Seat, Screaming Banshee Horn, MRA VarioTouring Screen, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, ProjectD Radiator Guard, Front & Rear Fender Extenders, Techspec Snakeskin Saddlebag Protectors, Techmount GPS Bracket, OEM Tank Guard, 47L Top Bag, Helmet Locks, ProjectD Kickstand Bigfoot

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Training Wheels
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • COG#: 12503
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 12:48:13 pm »
Joe,
Here is my take on break-in. I had been a ASE certified Master Tech for a number of years, (long ago though). Forget about the low RPM garbage.
Get the bike running and do several moderate to hard acceleration runs with corresponding engine braking decals.  Run it up to 60 or 70 or a bit more if you have space and clear sight lines, in second gear and then let off the throttle and let the engine braking slow you down to about 20-30 MPH. Do this 10-15 times and your motor is broken in far better than it would ever break in keeping the RPM low. Then enjoy the ride home!
Matt

Ah... a variation of the Motoman break in procedure.

Offline Joe

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 01:30:51 pm »
Thanks everyone - great advice.

I've been off motorcycles for a while but I have been around the block a couple of times on 2 wheels and a motor. Other than ice or long periods below freezing I plan to ride it back.

This will be the 9th MC I've owned but the first "brand new" bike.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 03:34:48 pm »
Joe if you decide to ride it home, keeping it at 4,000 RPM and below is not a problem as Kawasaki recommends for break in. 4,000 RPM in OD will get you a ticket (performance award) in most places except maybe MT in the NW area anyways.

There are several different theories on breaking motors in. I have not heard of anyone ever complain about how they should have broke in the motor in differently. Personally, I've had good luck following what Kawasaki says to do.

What ever you do please keep in mind the C14 is a heavy pig with a high center of gravity.  Gravel under your feet is problematic when stopped. Once underway though the weights melts away and with good tires can be quite nimble. You should arrive home with a smile on your face and know without doubt you made the right choice.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Bilbur

• Bicycle
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 06:43:44 pm »

Had an '84 Honda V65 Magna leave a "dent" (wasn't quite the level of something I would call a buckle)  in a 2000ish Ford Ranger tailgate when it went over a fairly hefty bump in the road.  (it was the 4th or 5th time we had moved it in the same Ranger before this happened - so some what of an anomaly and it was a BIG unexpected bump)

UHaul has motorcycle specific trailers in many places as mentioned in this thread.
http://forum.cog-online.org/cog-web-forum-discussions/trouble-posting-images-from-google-photos/msg585560/#msg585560
Maybe get is where the bike is only if you need it

Please do this. Just rent the Motorsport trailer from uhaul and eliminate and risk to the bike.

I would rent it from a uhaul location near the dealer and drop it off back at a location near your home. One way rentals are usually cheaper.

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 06:48:46 pm »

Please do this. Just rent the Motorsport trailer from uhaul and eliminate and risk to the bike.

I would rent it from a uhaul location near the dealer and drop it off back at a location near your home. One way rentals are usually cheaper.

U-Haul doesn't do one-way rentals on the motorcycle trailer, unfortunately. You have to get the 5x8 utility trailer if you want to drop at a different location.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline Joe

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 05:33:48 pm »
Unfortunately, "this weekend" is now next week end. The bike won't be ready to pick up until then.  >:(

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 05:45:25 pm »
Oh darn. But the weather might be better.  :??:
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki