Author Topic: Got beat up on my way to work today!  (Read 1310 times)

Offline zigzag

• Bicycle
  • why stop pedaling until your able to coast.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8564
  • Membership Level: Active
Got beat up on my way to work today!
« on: November 20, 2015, 01:44:17 am »
I run the cal si x wide xhi windshield (barn door) and on my way to work on the interstate at 80mph and a 15mph wind gusts coming at me the shield folded down and put that wind in my face. My only option then was to lower all the way down and live with a bad case of buffiting .this is the second time that the piece of pig iron garbage that they use on the armature has broken. First time under warranty they replaced the whole works because they don't sell that one piece!? Only the whole shooting match, motor and all. 600 bucks!dealer said next time you're on your own cause something about kawi doesn't want us useing barn doors for windshields!when waiting last time for replacement I manufactured a replacement out of a block of aluminum that worked fine, so back to that. Heard the 2015 they beefed this part up because of the new bigger shield?

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12649
Re: Got beat up on my way to work today!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 02:48:49 am »
Disconcerting.
I run the same Barn Door in the cooler months.

What year is your Connie again?

I ran her pretty hard through some NASTY cross & headwinds traveling through Wyoming and Utah last year, with
no adverse effects that I KNOW of.

Curious to see what broke, where, and how you reinforced it.

...and to think, I'm still trying to find a TALLER windscreen!!...  :o

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
  • COG#: 10810
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 05:35:21 am »
Why a taller screen? Do you actually prefer looking THROUGH your screen. The issue is wind management, the solution is MADSTAD.
James in Tampa. Currently being enjoyed are...04 C10,  86 C10 "Cooper" , 04 Honda vt750 "Christine" . The  only previously owned needing mention would be 74 gt750, I cant believe how many of us had a "water buffalo" !!!

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 12:24:40 pm »
I use the Cee Bailey Extra Tall Ultra Tour Domed windshield and I've tested it up to 130 MPH, albeit in the low position. It's 6" taller than the stock shield and I still look over the shield in the highest position. Hey, I'm 6' 4" and have a long torso. I actually would like the shield to be 2" taller - and I would still be looking over it in the highest position. But then I'd be more concerned about it folding back on me. Whenever I pass 18 wheelers, I usually put the shield in the lowest position due to the buffetting. I ran this size shield on my 2013 C14 and it did great until I crashed and totaled that bike. That shield was in lots of pieces after that. I now run the same size shield on my 2015 C14 and I like it a lot. Barn door, huh? Good description. ;D
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline Shoe

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6059
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 02:51:39 pm »
I have a Cal Sci +2" that I use in the Winter. But usually never all the way up. I've tried Cee Bailey and a National Cycle but I am not very comfortable with a full up screen.
Besides that a full up screen cuts into your mpg.
Shoe

Offline zigzag

• Bicycle
  • why stop pedaling until your able to coast.
  • COG#: 8564
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 10:21:29 pm »
Ghost, connie is 2011,135k on second armature break, run 190mi.cummute fl. The piece that breaks is the piece that runs the rail up and down in the middle. If you take the shield off then the two push pins and two nuts off the plastic you will find the works that runs the shield up and down. I'll post some pics soon, but being 63 and lost in the woods this might be trying! And capo I have no problem looking through the screen and am in complete bliss in my cocoon of stillness!shoe 42mpg all way up.