Author Topic: "Average" temp reading, & radiator fan?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline sfsokc

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10667
  • Membership Level: Active
"Average" temp reading, & radiator fan?
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:55 pm »
Purchased a 2011 C-14 in December with about 2600 miles now.  Through the winter, I noticed the temp gauge reading at 1 block below the halfway tick mark at highway speeds, which has continued through temps up into the 80s (on the highway).  However, even when it's only 65-70 out, I notice it easily reaches nearly to the top of the gauge when idling for short periods, with the radiator fan coming on.  Is this normal?  Kind of scares me, knowing that we'll soon be over a 100 degrees down here in south Texas!  I know the bike generates a lot of heat, but I was just wondering about the fan coming on so quickly?

Offline kawicop

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: "Average" temp reading, & radiator fan?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:59:49 am »
mine does the same thing in the heat of FL and its a police bike that is prob used harder than the normal bike. I would say its normal unless ours are sisters and just ask up

Offline Don557

• Road Bike
  • Silver Streak
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10835
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:11:16 am »
No doubt there's variation from bike to bike.  I'd prefer an actual temp readout in the multi-function dispaly, but I digress.
I'd say that typical for my '11 is running two bars when up to temp; spring, summer, fall, and the same.  After coming to a stop, it takes a little time to go to (three bars, even in summer), after some time at three bars the fans come on.  I've never seen four bars, even in stop-n-go traffic in summer; the fans seem to keep up quite well. 
You could have radiator issues, but my guess would be a bogus thermocouple/thermistor that reads the temp.  That would account for the high temp readings and the fans going on early.  It's worth getting it checked out. 

Offline Nico

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:35:45 pm »
My 2012 seems to do the same as you described, sfsokc. It's probably normal.

Offline MKorn

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9527
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:20:40 pm »
Mine is the same also ... i just hope it is reading the radiator temp and not the engine temp.
that is a huge fluctuation for an engine to go through.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline mff

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8168
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:38:44 pm »
Purchased a 2011 C-14 in December with about 2600 miles now.  Through the winter, I noticed the temp gauge reading at 1 block below the halfway tick mark at highway speeds, which has continued through temps up into the 80s (on the highway).  However, even when it's only 65-70 out, I notice it easily reaches nearly to the top of the gauge when idling for short periods, with the radiator fan coming on.  Is this normal?  Kind of scares me, knowing that we'll soon be over a 100 degrees down here in south Texas!  I know the bike generates a lot of heat, but I was just wondering about the fan coming on so quickly?

'08 w/35K- that is what mine reads- did the muffler cut & tightened the exhaust bolts- seems to ride a little cooler.
Where are you located?

Mike - Lake Corpus Christi