Author Topic: Grip tape on key knob  (Read 687 times)

Offline Howiehere

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Grip tape on key knob
« on: December 10, 2018, 01:27:14 pm »
I went to all this effort to put grip tape on my knob so I could pull the thing out when I wanted. It’s so slippery, even with leather gloves on it’s sometimes a two hand job. Now going through these posts again I find that many say NEVER take the knob out for fear of bending the key. They have a point. But if anyone could benefit from this, I’ll post anyway.

GT-5000 grip tape is a wonderful product. I’d recommend it on anything slippery that you want to get a better grip on. Traced outline of knob on paper, trimmed it down a bit so it didn’t come quite to edge, transferred paper template to back of grip tape, and cut with scissors. Slam dunk. Except now I never want to take my knob out for fear of bending. Ah well.
2009 C14 ABS Candy Diamond Red
“I too am not a bit tamed—I too am untranslatable; I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.” - Whitman

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12507
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Grip tape on key knob
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 12:22:46 am »
That's a clean and clever solution to a real problem. Bent keys? How the heck would you bend that key? I take my key out several times a day to open my cases, since I commute on my bike and such. Never crossed my mind how I could bend the key. But I do recommend shooting some ACF 50 into the mechanisms once a year or so. Avoid that pesky stuck spring problem.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 26,000 and counting

Offline wayne-o

• Tricycle
  • More Testarossa than Transformers
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12890
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 12:42:43 am »
Salish, did you misspell WD-40 ?
The Urban Ballet with millimeters to spare

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12840
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline Hexrays

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12889
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 02:44:32 am »
Thanks Howie! This has been something I've been thinking about doing.... The weather has been very dry here, I hesitate to put on hand lotion because I wouldn't be able to remove the key.
I'm ordering the tape tonight.  :great:
2014 C14, Risers, Cee Bailey Windshield, Givi Top case, GTR Ultra Series LED's, PIAA Sports Horns, Kuryakyn Passenger ISO Pegs.

Offline Howiehere

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 06:11:26 am »
That's a clean and clever solution to a real problem. Bent keys? How the heck would you bend that key? I take my key out several times a day to open my cases, since I commute on my bike and such. Never crossed my mind how I could bend the key. But I do recommend shooting some ACF 50 into the mechanisms once a year or so. Avoid that pesky stuck spring problem.

That’s what I thought. I was surprised too. I’ve owned my bike for four months now, and have used that key for gas and side bags about half the time, and the little fob keys the rest of the time. Apparently some have had serious issues, and vowed to never, ever take that main key out again, and make copies of their fob keys for the bags and gas. I guess if it does bend, you’re really screwed. I’ll be greatly reducing how often I take it out, and will be especially careful when I do.
“I too am not a bit tamed—I too am untranslatable; I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.” - Whitman

Offline Howiehere

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 06:16:17 am »
Thanks Howie! This has been something I've been thinking about doing.... The weather has been very dry here, I hesitate to put on hand lotion because I wouldn't be able to remove the key.
I'm ordering the tape tonight.  :great:

Sure thing, Hexrays. Glad it was helpful to you and Salish. And be careful with that key! Especially when gassing up, push down when you turn and don’t force it. Just repeating what I’ve read others have found. Ounce of prevention!

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 12:40:17 pm »
take my key out all the time, never bent it. i spray some wd40 on the key itself an put it into the locks never had any problem. :beerchug:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Rick

• Moped
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 01:24:47 pm »
FYI. WD40 is bad for locks. Use a light spray oil instead.

Offline Hexrays

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 01:33:36 pm »
Or how about graphite.....
2014 C14, Risers, Cee Bailey Windshield, Givi Top case, GTR Ultra Series LED's, PIAA Sports Horns, Kuryakyn Passenger ISO Pegs.

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 02:49:44 pm »
Hexrays, that avatar gives me the creeps every time I see it! UGH!    :o :o   :sign0137:    :beerchug:
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline Hexrays

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 02:55:59 pm »
Hexrays, that avatar gives me the creeps every time I see it! UGH!    :o :o   :sign0137:    :beerchug:
: :o  Ha, creeps my family too  :)
By the way, I did the graphite in the lock and it is so much smoother taking the key in and out.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:52:21 pm by Hexrays »

Offline BiggusDekkus

• Moped
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 07:49:37 pm »
Salish, did you misspell WD-40 ?

Wayne-O, you should not put WD-40 in the lock!! WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant.  When you apply WD-40 to a mechanism, it will remove the grease and oil from it, then the WD-40 evaporates.  The mechanism will work fine for a month or so (because it's clean), then it will start to rust or corrode without protective grease.  Salish suggested a type of lubricant which is more appropriate for long-term care of the locking mechanism.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Michael

• Big Wheels
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 07:35:59 am »
I bought my 2015 used with 5400 miles on it last summer from a dealer and couldn't get the stove knob key out after I got it home. Struggled with it for days until I finally got it out and noticed it was bent just a little. Straightened it out and have had no problem since, but the damn ignition switch is very sensitive to even a small bend in the key.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 03:46:19 pm »
I used the hard plastic side of Velcro for mine on each side just like you did. I however never take my IG key out because I have several keys cut so I can use them for gas and bags! When not in use the spare key is in my tank bag for easy access.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Rick

• Moped
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 04:15:08 pm »
Or how about graphite.....

Graphite is good on an indoor lock that will not see much moisture or humidity. A light spray oil will protect the brass (and other metal) parts from corrosion.