Author Topic: >104K miles, blah @ "radiator protection"  (Read 9367 times)

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: >104K miles, blah @ "radiator protection"
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 09:02:30 pm »
I'll need to post a photo. My radiator doesn't look all that much different than Steve's and I run with a radiator guard. I removed and cleaned the radiator during the last valve check at 40k miles and was a bit shocked by how much imbedded gravel, tar, and dented fins I had.   :-[  I have since also added a fender extender.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 10:53:17 pm »
I'll need to post a photo. My radiator doesn't look all that much different than Steve's and I run with a radiator guard. I removed and cleaned the radiator during the last valve check at 40k miles and was a bit shocked by how much imbedded gravel, tar, and dented fins I had.   :-[  I have since also added a fender extender.

I just took a look at mine, on my '08... looks fine, but I've had a Murphs fenda extenda on it since I bought the bike... sooooo
I find the extenda more effecient in protection, as I'm sure some small debris could slip thru the grillwork on the screen only thang..
Ymmv

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 11:06:33 pm »
I'm at 115,000 miles with no plans to add any protection. Maybe I'm still jinxing myself  :motonoises:  :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline jdegraff

• Moped
  • COG#: 11713
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 12:27:28 pm »
On my second C14 and no guard. Insurance is a scam BTW.  :)

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 01:09:50 pm »
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Arabian Red

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11292
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2016, 05:08:28 pm »
I have had my radiator guard on since the bike was new and recently had a tire tread (AKA Road Gator) get kicked up in front of me on the freeway and the end of it curled into my radiator. The guard took the brunt of the damage saving my radiator. The money I have spent on now two guards is way less than the cost or replacing the part they were protecting. Just saying.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2016, 05:45:28 pm »
Why are those road gators legal anyway?  The truckers save a few bucks on a re-tread only to spew 5-30 lb chunks of rubber all over the road?  Coming home from the National I jumped on I-75/I-71 to get past Cincinnati.  There was a low boy trailer hurling these chunks everywhere and lots of swerving going on. If you hit one of those riding the motorcycle it could be deadly. Myth Busters confirmed that a road gator can knock someone's head off as in de-capitation. Again, on Monday, jumped on a the slab for a time and a full sized gator was curled up on the road.  If I wasn't paying attention it would be deadly. The AMA lobby needs to take on the truckers lobby on this issue. Sorry for the thread jack.

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 12:47:15 am »
Why are those road gators legal anyway?  The truckers save a few bucks on a re-tread only to spew 5-30 lb chunks of rubber all over the road? Coming home from the National I jumped on I-75/I-71 to get past Cincinnati.  There was a low boy trailer hurling these chunks everywhere and lots of swerving going on. If you hit one of those riding the motorcycle it could be deadly. Myth Busters confirmed that a road gator can knock someone's head off as in de-capitation. Again, on Monday, jumped on a the slab for a time and a full sized gator was curled up on the road.  If I wasn't paying attention it would be deadly. The AMA lobby needs to take on the truckers lobby on this issue. Sorry for the thread jack.

Just too clarify things, those road gators are parts of just as many virgin tires as they are retreads.  Most are caused when tire pressures are too low and that coupled with extreme hot weather causes the tires to explode from over heating due to sidewall flex from under inflation. Actually one state and I can't remember which one now did a test a few years ago and found that most of these road gators were from virgin tires and not caps. Recaps are fine if kept properly inflated but problem is most company drivers do a lot of drop and hook loads and if they check tires at all and the tire has any air in it they just roll with it. I check my tires regularly and run from TN. to AZ. and back every week with no issues, but I do see a lot of tire failures for sure from other vehicles.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 09:51:57 am »
Thanks for the clarification.  Sounds like the truckers need a mandatory TPMS, or be more like you and take more care in what they are doing.  Those gators are everywhere and certainly a hazard. 

Offline sc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12344
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 12:34:27 pm »
Just over 26k miles and I got a hole in mine, very tiny but I was able to repair it with a brazing rod. The price I got for a new rad was $863,i still cant figure out why it is so expensive as it isn't much bigger than the $250 unit on my ATV.  Not sure if I will go with a extender or rad guard, which one actually works better?

As for the road gators, they aren't all retreads. I had a 1 year old trailer tire separate like it was nobodys business, goodyear marathon.

Offline Shoe

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6059
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 01:19:44 pm »
Just too clarify things, those road gators are parts of just as many virgin tires as they are retreads.  Most are caused when tire pressures are too low and that coupled with extreme hot weather causes the tires to explode from over heating due to sidewall flex from under inflation. Actually one state and I can't remember which one now did a test a few years ago and found that most of these road gators were from virgin tires and not caps. Recaps are fine if kept properly inflated but problem is most company drivers do a lot of drop and hook loads and if they check tires at all and the tire has any air in it they just roll with it. I check my tires regularly and run from TN. to AZ. and back every week with no issues, but I do see a lot of tire failures for sure from other vehicles.
[/quote]

I thought the tires used on the big rigs were especially made to be recapped and that problems with decapping occurred with non recapable tires. Either way I am more concerned with loss of my life. Radiators are cheap in comparison.
Shoe

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 11:33:51 pm »
I look at having a radiator guard sorts like buying a fan belt when the old one looks ratty. Once you buy the replacement fan belt the old one won't break. Ever.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2016, 12:50:23 am »
Thanks for the clarification.  Sounds like the truckers need a mandatory TPMS, or be more like you and take more care in what they are doing.  Those gators are everywhere and certainly a hazard.

I agree but the biggest problem is that there aren't many of us old time real truckers left.. The new breed of truckers are only attracted to trucking because most are fat and lazy and think trucking will be an easy job. They really don't have a clue what being a "trucker" is all about.

Offline Tagara

• Tricycle
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2016, 08:32:47 pm »
why not just re route the radiator on top of the luggage rack..doubt much will hit it and you can have a heater for the rear passenger when it gets cold.

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 05:40:39 pm »
That's funny   :great:
KiPass!

Offline TLR

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11171
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2016, 08:57:00 pm »
Nice pics, there, Stevewfl.  But that doesn't look like the Southeast! 
1982 Suzuki SP250Z
1994 Suzuki VS800GL Intruder
2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400 (the fast red color)

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2016, 11:47:53 am »

Thanks  :beerchug:

Yes sir, I don't just ride around the Southeast, gotta' let that C14 run  :great: :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2016, 03:52:40 pm »

Not enough bugs on the radiator fins either.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2016, 09:45:07 pm »
there were no flying bugs in the desert to run into.  OMG its got the bugs on it here in FL. I should go take a pic  :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2016, 12:26:43 am »
I thought it WAS a picture of your radiator in FL. But now since you have the flash, you know you'll be blow'in bugs, rocks and other debris through the radiator.  ;)

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2016, 12:47:52 am »

11,000 miles and going  :motonoises:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2016, 01:22:44 am »
Nice! 
KiPass!

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2016, 02:35:04 pm »

11,000 miles and going  :motonoises:

Amazing!
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2016, 02:57:49 am »
I wouldn't be caught dead running a "House Blend" flap......Columbian only for me.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2016, 01:35:45 am »
Fais,

Great job on the fender extender. I did a home made one for my rear. No pic, but, it came from a Rubbermaide storage container lid. Two hours' work, paint and screwed into stock fender.
Frugal!

Phil
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"