Author Topic: Gunked up Throttle Bodies  (Read 233 times)

Offline cyberswine

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Gunked up Throttle Bodies
« on: October 03, 2018, 04:17:17 pm »
2015 Connie with 50000 happy miles all by me :)  Just had her in stealership for valves, throttle body balance and new plugs.  The tech told me that due to suspected carbon build up in the TBs he was unable to get a vacuum reading on #3.  Bike runs perfectly (before and after) and he left it as is suggesting that the TBs be cleaned up at the next major service.  Being an old phart I don't expect another major service so maybe if it ain't broke I shouldn't fix it or worry about it.  Question though..... is there any additive that might reduce any future problem by cleaning up interior gunk?  I'm thinking injector cleaner, Sea Foam or whatever.  Or should I just stop thinking?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Gunked up Throttle Bodies
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:12 pm »
since this bikes intro in 2007, I have never heard of the condition your 'tech' has described.....
especially on a bike that was running nicely, with 50k miles on it...
Did you get a shim map, showing what he serviced as far as the valve adjustment went?
were any excessively tight?, like 'zero' clearance?
Carbs can get "gunked up" from valve clearance going to 'zero' and hanging open, allowing back pulses to deposit residue, so I assume "maybe" a throttle body could also, but I seriously doubt it...
And even then' the deposits would only occur in the intake throat, and throttle plates..
and as a fuel injected system like this works differently, where fuel is under pressure, and literaly 'sprayed' thru the intake tract, nothing added to fuel will "clean" a vacume port per se, as it's a benign circuit until  it's 'uncapped' and a gage is attached to it to read vacume... ( meaning it's not subject to collecting carbon, or gunk, unless the cap was off.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...