Author Topic: Had a crash, need some advice please...  (Read 1294 times)

Offline gilbysan

• Tricycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Had a crash, need some advice please...
« on: December 17, 2017, 07:17:02 pm »
 Coggers,

I am embarrassed to even admit that I messed up and had a collision.  Been riding for 50 years but that does not mean much when you have a brain fade because I rear ended a Suburban going somewhere between 8-10 MPH, I think.  I looked down toward my instruments for literally a second and there he was.  I don't remember the ABS kicking in although I know I grabbed a handful of both front and rear brakes...Did not fall over, just rolled to the side of the road to kick myself several times.  Later that evening, my right hand hurt pretty bad where my thumb pad is probably just due to hanging on and the collision, and three days after my left ankle was sore but both are fine now. 

Of note, there was another collision two cars back, and a third two cars up just after my collision.  They had just treated the roads with anti-freeze so the roads looked damp, but seemed ok.  Heading into the setting sun could have contributed to the crashes, but for mine, it was all me.

So, now that I got that out, I am seeking advice regarding the repair of my formerly beautiful Connie.  Here is my take on damage.  It looks like a bomb went off inside the fairing.  The headlight, all the plastic painted, and black, upper, center and lowers need to be replaced.  The front fender of course and the black fender covers.  The windshield mechanism is working properly, although the black steel tube fairing supports are bent at bolt mounting points, the cast aluminum mirror bracket seems fine.   Mirrors OK.  I made contact between my helmet and the windshield (a Cee Bailey that I will really miss) so helmet finish scratched, missing a vent slider, and the screen is scratched on the inside.  The forks seem fine; I actually rode it home since my Denali's were not damaged so they worked for temp. headlights.  The radiator seems fine, it was pushed in about 1/8" from the fender extender but the fins are all intact, the fans rotate freely and the bracket is straight.  Wheel is fine, just put a new Pilot Road 4 GT on the front and it seems fine, brakes work fine. No wobble, vibrations, or strange handling that I can tell.

The adjuster was out and of course, they are car people, not bike people.  I want to do the repair myself of course.  I have added up all the parts needed to repair the bike best I can and it looks like about $4 large based on pricing from Partszilla.  That includes all plastic, bolts, hardware, etc.

I am trying to figure out what the tipping point might be for insurance to consider it a loss vs. repair.  I would really appreciate any and all opinions about repair vs. write off, and any other items that should be considered for this event.  It is a '13 C14, with 27K on it. Some photos attached.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and please take care on the road!

Gilbysan

gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Moped
  • COG#: 12666
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Had a crash, need some advice please...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 09:27:00 pm »
Sorry to read of your misfortune. If any of the lardger boken parts are not in small pieces and you have all the pieces, as long as they are not twisted and malformed if done correctly they are verry repairable. some parts even if twisted can be massaged back into shape with patients and a heat gun, of course all repaired parts require the ability to paint. what you need is to first ensure the under support structure is straight and all body mounting point are exactly where they belong. this needs to be weather you repair or replace the plastics.
For plastics repaire ABS cement and a hot staple gun for plastic repair will ensure your repairs are as strong if not stronger than new.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Moped
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 09:29:18 pm »
Here is a link to a hot plastic staple gun. https://m.tools-plus.com/astro-pneumatic-7600.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyNjRBRCpARIsAPDBnn1s2LUbVWGhL5CYuXZFktRdwMgARsPDBLcCyAM2QhFcB5-HlWTQUtYaAiK5EALw_wcB
Mine is a Matco and was way more expensive than need be. This is one of many on the market I am sure would work just as well..
BTW sheets of ABS plastic for body repair are also available through Murph's.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:33:59 pm by Grant »

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 09:31:41 pm »
First of all I'm glad to hear you're basically OK.  The bike can be fixed, the body, not always.

I'm assuming you have insurance??  If so, you may as well put in for a claim and see what they come up with.  It's likely to be a total loss.  But remember that it's always negotiable and taking the settlement and then buying the bike back from them (agree on the price UP FRONT!) and fixing it yourself can be a good choice.  Remember, though, that you'll end up with a SALVAGE or REBUILT title depending on the laws in your State.  Not a big deal if you're planning on keeping the bike for the long-term but it will impact resale value.

My biggest concern in a crash like this is frame damage.  The C14 frame is very strong but it's cast Aluminum and will crack rather than bend.  I'd pull the tank and fairing and inspect it closely.  If it's cracked it's a total loss IMHO.  If not, then it's easily rebuild-able and some careful shopping will likely get it back into as-new condition.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 09:36:36 pm »
Sorry for your misfortune, stuff happens.

Just my opinion, but there's a real good chance they'll total it. Simply because of rear ending a vehicle & frame/fork damage can't readily be checked.

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline Turtle

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 10:21:39 pm »
Sorry to see this but I'm glad the body damage was minimal. I had my crash 10 years ago, not on a Concours, and medical bills were over $200k when it was all done and I spent about $500 out of pocket to fix the bike.

Check with the agent, companies vary a bit but their threshold is usually around 70% of value.

Offline bobgroger

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12689
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 11:00:18 pm »
Pretty much ANY bike collision results in a totaled bike from what I have seen. Even driveway tipovers. I suspect it's because of the chance of hidden damage and having to throw good money after bad. Go after book plus what you have added in accessories as a starting point. Good luck, could have been worse.
09 C14 24k
'80 GS1100e Dragbike 8k
'83 GS1100e stock 42k
'80 GS850 my favorite bike 18k

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 11:05:23 pm »
First of all I'm glad to hear you're basically OK.  The bike can be fixed, the body, not always.

I'm assuming you have insurance??  If so, you may as well put in for a claim and see what they come up with.  It's likely to be a total loss.  But remember that it's always negotiable and taking the settlement and then buying the bike back from them (agree on the price UP FRONT!) and fixing it yourself can be a good choice.  Remember, though, that you'll end up with a SALVAGE or REBUILT title depending on the laws in your State.  Not a big deal if you're planning on keeping the bike for the long-term but it will impact resale value.

My biggest concern in a crash like this is frame damage.  The C14 frame is very strong but it's cast Aluminum and will crack rather than bend.  I'd pull the tank and fairing and inspect it closely.  If it's cracked it's a total loss IMHO.  If not, then it's easily rebuild-able and some careful shopping will likely get it back into as-new condition.
jwh20 hit the nail (as usual), and I agree with him on this one.

Take your sweet time to inspect the frame; she's a big girl, so when she hits something, all that 'mass force' has to go somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if the frame took a beating, and if that's the case, it is much better to let it go and get a new(er) one.

Cheers buddy, glad you came out of it okay.
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline ZXtasy

• Moped
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 11:44:01 pm »
Could have been worse. Strap a couple of LED lamps in there and ride it like a Wraith! Or make it a naked fighter...
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 12:27:30 am »
I had a similar day, a little over a year ago, with somewhat similar bike damage.  The bike was a total loss, and I thought about buying it back from insurance to repair.  After I had time to really evaluate the damage, the $$$, and thought about what my time was worth, I decided to just get a newer one.  I pushed my '09 pretty hard while riding, and I wasn't sure I would want to ride that way on a rebuilt bike.  I don't think I would have fully trusted it.  I could imagine an intact-looking yet fractured piece of something breaking while in a hard corner next to a canyon (yes, I probably need therapy) and knew that I should forget about rebuilding. 

Insurance paid far more for my '09 than it was worth (I think around $9k- had to haggle some to get that figure), and they told me I could keep any farkles I had added, as long as original parts were put back.  I was able to take several thousands of dollars in parts off the bike, which I then installed on my newer (2010) one.  All in all, I could not have come out better financially or bike-wise.  My injuries were healed in a few weeks.  I am aware that I got lucky on all fronts though.  Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 12:35:59 am »
Sorry to hear about the crash..no one expect maybe Rodney comes out ahead on these things.

AS far as the buying back....how much do you like turning wrenches? Some might count the time but if one enjoys tinkering I think that has some value too.

Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline currenv

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11913
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 03:45:41 am »
I don't think anyone has mentioned this...

If you let them total it and then negotiate a buy-back, you'll have the option to fix it and put it back on the road with a salvage title or, if you find some hidden, more serious damage, you could then part it out and recover some additional $$.

If it were me, I'd probably just the insurance folks take it.  Even though I'm retired, it seems like a bit time commitment and patience-trying ordeal getting parts and then rebuilding it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Vinnie

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 04:07:24 am »
If the parts are 4K then it will be totaled when the labor is added. Like others have said, if you like a challenge, take the cash, buy the bike back and get used parts on this or the other forum or ebay. I did this and saved a ton of money. I don't care about the salvage title because the bike will be toast when I am finished with it (hopefully). If you are not mechanically inclined, get a new bike. Don't bother inspecting the frame - the insurance company will do that as part of their inspection. Then if you decide to buy it back and they have said the frame is OK, do your own before buying it .

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 09:57:27 am »
Yep, with that kind of damage they very likely will total it. I used a similar situation to upgrade to the C14. I was ready for a new bike. I'm glad it was low speed and you are OK.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 10:24:25 am »
Coggers,

The adjuster was out and of course, they are car people, not bike people.  I want to do the repair myself of course.  I have added up all the parts needed to repair the bike best I can and it looks like about $4 large based on pricing from Partszilla.  That includes all plastic, bolts, hardware, etc.

I am trying to figure out what the tipping point might be for insurance to consider it a loss vs. repair.  I would really appreciate any and all opinions about repair vs. write off, and any other items that should be considered for this event.  It is a '13 C14, with 27K on it. Some photos attached.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and please take care on the road!

Gilbysan

If you think you have 4K of damage, personally i would file the insurance claim and pay my deductible instead and bite the bullet on increases in the future.  Though that might be past the 50% threshold with its value and it be a 'total'.

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 12:39:55 pm »
Hey Bob-- glad to hear you're ok!  Where did this happen?

As for the repairs and parts, all good advice here so far if you have the time, then go for it. Otherwise just get a new one! The biggest concern with the repair option is the frame integrity and how comfortable you would be riding it after all is said and done.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 01:43:34 pm »
I crashed my '13 C14 three years ago at about 63 MPH on a curve. My crash was rider error. Yes, it's embarrassing. I'm glad I was riding in a group. I rode on the back of another guy's bike to a hospital. That, too, was dumb on my part. It was a 30 minute ride and I almost lost my ability to hang on due to impending light shock setting in. The bike was not rideable. The Progressive insurance adjuster found deep scratches on the frame and totaled it because of that fact. Progressive was great. They gave me the original purchase value, plus the value of aftermarket items I'd added, less my $1,000 deductible. I let them keep the bike and it turned out well financially because of the price reduction for '15 C14s. Like a previous rider mentioned, the hospital bill for me was about $170,000, which thankfully, was covered by my insurance. I'm very thankful yours was low speed with minor injuries.

With your collision, I would be concerned about potential fork, steering head and frame damage, which could be challenging to find.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline Rico

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12496
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 03:40:19 pm »
Buy this one, fix yours and sell off the rest of the parts.
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2010-kawasaki-concours-14/6404844124.html
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Offline gilbysan

• Tricycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 05:48:41 pm »
 Coggers,

Thanks to all for you replies of care and concern and specifically for the feedback and your experiences post-crash.  As several said, bikes can be repaired or replaced, flesh is much more challenging and painful to fix and it takes longer for me to heal nowadays mainly due to wear and tear from other “ground effects encounters” over the decades and my skin is wearing pretty thin.
At $4K just for parts, it may be a total loss.
I am comfortable repairing it myself.  That being said, I would not be able to detect small cracks or stresses in the frame or very slight damage to the forks and triple crown and that would affect how I ride moving forward.  There is not much worse than doubting your rides ability to hold a line at high speed and I don’t care to live with that thought.  About the only thing worse is an unreliable weapon, IMO.
This bike has been an almost daily rider for me and I use it the way I believe it was intended to be ridden, pretty hard.  I don’t intend to change that behavior much other than giving more distance between me and the other guy, etc.
I think I will continue to add up the costs and negotiate the best price with my insurance guy, then find another Connie that I can love and that will love me back.  Good grief, if my wife reads this I will be in hot water!  But what can a man do?
Thanks again!
Gilbysan

gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Moped
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 02:27:42 am »
Coggers,

Thanks to all for you replies of care and concern and specifically for the feedback and your experiences post-crash.  As several said, bikes can be repaired or replaced, flesh is much more challenging and painful to fix and it takes longer for me to heal nowadays mainly due to wear and tear from other “ground effects encounters” over the decades and my skin is wearing pretty thin.
At $4K just for parts, it may be a total loss.
I am comfortable repairing it myself.  That being said, I would not be able to detect small cracks or stresses in the frame or very slight damage to the forks and triple crown and that would affect how I ride moving forward.  There is not much worse than doubting your rides ability to hold a line at high speed and I don’t care to live with that thought.  About the only thing worse is an unreliable weapon, IMO.
This bike has been an almost daily rider for me and I use it the way I believe it was intended to be ridden, pretty hard.  I don’t intend to change that behavior much other than giving more distance between me and the other guy, etc.
I think I will continue to add up the costs and negotiate the best price with my insurance guy, then find another Connie that I can love and that will love me back.  Good grief, if my wife reads this I will be in hot water!  But what can a man do?
Thanks again!
Gilbysan

Good luck whatever you decide. As far as the wife mine wasn't happy about my C-14 purchase but the bike is cheaper than my other hobby, she is relieved it has slowed down my truck parts buying.
The other hobby is diesel performance a LBZ Duramax. When the wife sees a UPS tuck within a mile of our house she will immediately asked what did you buy now. LOL

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 03:37:32 am »
Sorry about your misfortune! I see a lot of what you need on eBay including full body kits that you could paint whatever color you wish!
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 11:03:25 am »
If it were me, and I tired to put the bike back together, I'd NEVER get out of the back of mind "did I MISS anything"?

I don't frequently ride 100MPH, but I do get up to 80-90 on the highway, and ride aggressively through tighter mountain roads.

I don't EVER want to second guess the reliability of my bike, or have it in the back of my head that my frame isn't straight or forks / headstock cracked or bent.

I'm ALL about tinkering and putting things together, but to me, small issues going undetected deeper in the bike would always linger in the back of my mind, and spoil my riding experience.

Just my 2c.

good luck with everything - and glad you're ok.
It's good to hit the "reset" button once in a while.  :)

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline roy826

• Training Wheels
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 12:03:51 pm »
I would let them total it. This bike is a nightmare to work on and I would never feel confident after a significant repair such as this that every thing was back together properly.

Plenty of good used ones out there with low mileage to replace it with.
'12 Concours 14, '16 GSX-S1000, '15 GSX-R600 racebike, '15 WR250F

Offline ZXtasy

• Moped
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 01:07:30 pm »
I have repaired and returned dozens of worse looking crash victims to the street and track. It looks like cosmetic sacrificial plastic injuries and for Pete's sake these machines are not made of porcelain and lace! 

But that is just my twisted opinion. YRMV. Good luck and get back on something soon!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 01:28:29 pm »
I have repaired and returned dozens of worse looking crash victims to the street and track. It looks like cosmetic sacrificial plastic injuries and for Pete's sake these machines are not made of porcelain and lace! 

But that is just my twisted opinion. YRMV. Good luck and get back on something soon!

Agreed  :great:  This is sacrificial plastic. the mirror mount isn't even broken. I WOULD be looking at the forks hard, and checking with a straight edge to be sure there's no bends. if the forks are bent, this changes things, and the radiator being pushed back makes me concerned for the forks. The plastic looks ugly, but really doesn't indicate to me a particularly hard impact, as ZXtacy stated, those parts are designed to be sacrificial and replaceable. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home