Author Topic: Shoodaben Engineering (Steves top secret Flash)  (Read 4079 times)

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Shoodaben Engineering (Steves top secret Flash)
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 10:03:03 pm »
This is what I am getting on my 2009 c14 after the flash. This bike has never seen this before ;D

I had a very early flash, now have the MR, but one trip slabbing to Post Falls Idaho I saw 52.7 MPG.

I never use the ECO mode anymore, Steve's new programming does better than the ECO modes MPGs.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Flying Bear

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 01:05:29 am »
Oh the pain, the pain.

I bought a 2017 C14 last month. I'd been thinking about it because I owned a ZX-14 10 years ago, and remembered it fondly. Now that I'm pushing 60, I wanted a more practical "go places" 'bike to go with my new "cruise locally and be a poseur" Fat Bob 114, and found that the sport tourer category was much smaller than I remembered. But the C14 was still around. I also remembered removing the 'flies from my ZX-14, and what a harrowing experience that was as the screw heads appeared to be made of low melting point chocolate, even when using the "proper" Japanese screwdriver.

Riding the new 'bike for a couple of weeks, I also recalled the crummy low-rpm throttle response and the torque curve dip. So it was great to read Steve's informative posts, and his site. I asked him a couple of questions, he graciously called and answered, and I ordered the new Mountain Runner flash. Getting the ECU out was harder than I'd expected because it was glued into the rubber carrier. Sheesh. The USPS failed to pick up my shipment for two days, and then failed to deliver it for two days on the way back. Steve turned the ECU in 24 hours.

So why the pain? It's sleeting and 27 degrees in NC right now. If the USPS had done a better job, I'd have been riding in crisp sunny weather. The ECU is back in its carrier, the throttle cables are adjusted, and a Delkevic slip-on is sitting on my workbench, baffle out, ready to install. Now the wait for some decent weather.....the pain, the pain.

Offline Nodesurfer

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 01:13:38 am »
This is what I am getting on my 2009 c14 after the flash. This bike has never seen this before ;D

That's awesome! I can't wait to get some highway miles on. The weather has not been cooperating, so so far, only got to ride to work and back for a week. I've been climbing ever since getting the flash. Never reset the average MPG, which was around 35.5 around town, now up to 40. Once I run a tank of all highway miles I will post mine.

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12507
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 01:55:20 am »

Damn. I have a clean air filter, new plugs, just did valves, right fairly normally, and still only get about 35.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 20,000 and counting

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 03:23:54 am »

Damn. I have a clean air filter, new plugs, just did valves, right fairly normally, and still only get about 35.

Is it still stock? Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Road Runner

• Moped
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2017, 03:32:14 am »

Unless you're hot-dogging it, I would think you would get a lot better gas mileage than this. I rarely do (hot dog it) and get between 45-48 mpg on the highway running 70-75 mph. I also don't yet have a flash from Steve. Someday ...
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 04:11:16 am »

Unless you're hot-dogging it, I would think you would get a lot better gas mileage than this. I rarely do (hot dog it) and get between 45-48 mpg on the highway running 70-75 mph. I also don't yet have a flash from Steve. Someday ...

Y'all need to "fill in the blanks " when it comes to fuel economy. For instance you're comparing a '13 to an '08... the 8 doesn't have ECO mode, And I suspect that you are using ECO on the '13.  Ambient conditions , frontal area, weight, tire inflation... these things all play a part in fuel economy. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline kd4pop

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum Subsc
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 12:53:45 pm »
Steve, the bike is completely stock, waiting to put my new slip on (Delkevic 18" oval stainless steel)  after Christmas. My  wife wont let me have it till then! :motonoises:

Offline kd4pop

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum Subsc
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2017, 12:59:17 pm »
That was at 78 degrees and 42psi in front and 42 psi in rear

Offline Flying Bear

• Big Wheels
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 07:18:38 pm »
The sleet and rain finally stopped, and everything dried out. So, with 42 degree ambient temperature, I did a first test ride with Steve's Mountain Runner flash and a Delkevic 18" carbon fiber slip-on installed (no baffle). A great initial impression from the flash: lots of low-end torque, and no annoying torque curve dip. The slip-on makes a nice bass sound, and I may leave the baffle out, but will see how it sounds when I have the opportunity for a longer ride. Fuel consumption on suburban roads was 40.8mpg, but the 'bike only has 120 miles on it, so this will likely improve.

Offline GIant81

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12285
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 08:41:58 pm »
Oh it's winter, probably a good time to get the flash.  I only get like 37mpg on my '09.

Offline Motodoc

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12713
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2017, 05:01:46 pm »
Total improvement in the bike and...
Fuel mileage has gone up in cold weather from 34.9 avg to 37.8 avg.  Once it warms up again it should improve more if I keep my right wrist straighter :)