Author Topic: Had a crash, need some advice please...  (Read 2754 times)

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11944
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Had a crash, need some advice please...
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 07:30:54 pm »
Bob -
Sorry to hear about your accident!  At least YOU came out of it with only minor damages, a BIKE can always be replaced or repaired.  Let me know if I can do anything to help since I am only about 25 miles away.  I have an enclosed trailer with stands if you need to transport the bike somewhere to get fixed.  If you decide to repair it yourself, let me know and I can come give you a hand with it.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 11:20:54 am »
Glad you're ok.

Checking the forks with a straight edge isn't enough. The ONLY way for the radiator to get pushed back is by the forks flexing. They ARE bent. You may not be able to see or feel it. You need to have then striped at checked in "V" blocks with a dial indicator. Otherwise you may ride for a week or a year but they will fail. If you're lucky a good machinist can straighten them, or just get new tubes. The other possibility is that the outer tube may be cracked near the seals or internal bushings. The only way to really check this is with NDT, dye penetrant. The amount of bending force required to push into the radiator is significant especially when the forks are compressed. This is the weakest link and probably where the greatest hidden structural damage occurred.
 As said by ZXtasy I have also brought many bikes back from the dead and almost every case the forks had some damage.

If you're up for the challenge this is great way to really learn the workings of this bikes front end. I wish you success.

BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 12:34:53 pm »
Definitely check the forks as Deep Sea said, but I seriously doubt that 5 to 10 MPH can hurt them, the main purpose of USD forks is to add stiffness against flex. The radiator is on rubber bushed mounts typically so moves around a bit anyway, plus you had an extender that the engineers did not take into account when you totally bottomed those sliders. Surprised you did not blow the seals, but do check them if you plan to work on the bike.

FUN TIMES!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 01:45:22 pm »
Personally, I would start with a new bike, more than likely it will become a branded/salvage title and worth nothing if you decided to sell it later on. You might put in more parts in $$ than it will sell for later on?

That's just too much work that I would be willing to attempt and I have done a ton of work on cars and bikes in the past. Just not worth the time and hassle to repair IMHO.

Greg
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11339
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 04:52:16 pm »
Glad to hear your not injured. You might be surprised what the insurance company is willing to fix these days. I recently had a bike run over in my driveway when someone used it to turn around. The insurance company chose to fix it rather for the same cost the bike was worth.

On the forks though it is difficult to believe they were not damaged given the radiator being pushed back.

IMHO
CDA #0542

Offline Motodoc

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12713
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 04:57:04 pm »
If it's insured, NEXT!  Well hidden damage can bite you in the arse. 
Glad you're ok.  Bikes are expendable, bodies...not so much.