Author Topic: Handle bar vibration - buzz  (Read 3205 times)

Offline alansides

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Handle bar vibration - buzz
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:57:52 pm »
Handlebar vibration - buzz is putting my hands to sleep.

I have hush puppies on the grips.

Does anyone know of any way to put rubber under the risers - or is that even possible?

Do you think heavier bar end weights help?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Handle bar vibration - buzz
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:05:55 pm »
Adding rubber just ads to the amount the bars can buzz... so forget that idea...
Train yourself to loosen your deathgrip on the bars, and even just loosen it to the point your hands are resting on them, and not forcing a "grip"...
I have never had an issue, but some people do, I can't say.. I did install a pair of HVMP mega sized bar ends I won as a door prize years ago, but can't say that was anything I needed, they were a gift, so I put them on... they do allow me to reposition my hands a bit more tho.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Bob

• Bob
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 1398
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 11:13:48 pm »
My 08 c-14 had more handlebar buzz than my 91 c-10. I tried the re-torqueing the motor-mounts with a slight improvement.
The real fix for me was the tip-over bars. Don't know why but the tip over bars either dampened the motor vibrations or the mounting bolts tightened the motor mountings, or at least put things in enough of a bind to dampen the bar vibrations.

Bob Skinner

Offline curt1480

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 05:14:56 am »
I don't know about the bar ends but I do know I added a pair of grip puppies and that seemed to take about 65% of the buzziness out of my bars.  I also bought a good pair of leather gloves with gel pads around the palm area of my hands and that took about another 10% of the buzziness out.  I don't really notice the vibration that is left.  Me and a buddy just completed the Saddle Sore 1000 this week and I had no problems what so ever.  My bike is a 2016 with a little over 3000 miles on it now, should i expect even more vibration down the road?

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 05:35:13 am »
I don't have any buzz issues but do love the way rubber mounted risers feel on some bikes I've ridden.

🤔🤔
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 07:54:25 am »
Vibrations? Where? GO ride V-twin Duc, KTM or Zuk...then report back.

Offline Diz

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 10:08:09 am »
1 thing I have been playing with is gloves. Always ride with gloves but I have noticed that some gloves seem to transmit the engine vibration more than others. Could be my imagination but I rode with 3 different pair yesterday and experienced 3 different sensations. Can't tell you why it was so but I might be more inclined now to ride long distances with one set over another because of my experience. Check out the bar ends from Sue; an industry partner.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 11:51:27 am »
I agree with glove statement. I have very nice leather Icon gloves. Everytime I ride, after a while I feel slight tingle in my thumbs. I suspect these gloves somehow  create slight constriction of blood vessels in my hands...
I just put grip puppies on, the difference is there but mainly to ease holding the grips due to newfound diameter.   
I also played with solid bar weights. As stated above, solid weights add to the buzz. The end weights on my C14 are rubber insulated which helps canceling some of unwanted buzz. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:54:53 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline Wild_Bill

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9306
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 01:00:01 pm »
Check out this thread on torquing the engine mounts.
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/engine-mount-torque/

What year is the bike?
At what speed does it buzz and does it change in different gears?
How many miles?
Is it stock?
What mods have been installed?

Bill
Formerly known as Badnews_Bill

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 01:44:37 pm »
Buzziness, or higher frequency vibration, is more inherent with inline 4 engine design. Specialty bar mounts, grips, and gloves work by potentially isolating or absorbing a small amount of the vibration. Bar end weights work by changing the resonant frequency of the bars to reduce vibration from the engine, and are usually sized/weighted for specific bikes.

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline alansides

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 12:14:55 am »
My 08 c-14 had more handlebar buzz than my 91 c-10. I tried the re-torqueing the motor-mounts with a slight improvement.
The real fix for me was the tip-over bars. Don't know why but the tip over bars either dampened the motor vibrations or the mounting bolts tightened the motor mountings, or at least put things in enough of a bind to dampen the bar vibrations.

Bob Skinner

I just put a set on. Maybe that did it.

Offline Christopher

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 12:19:40 am »
What brand bar ends are you guys using. My 16 is buzzy as Heck!!

Offline alansides

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 12:31:28 am »
Check out this thread on torquing the engine mounts.
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/engine-mount-torque/

What year is the bike?
At what speed does it buzz and does it change in different gears?
How many miles?
Is it stock?
What mods have been installed?

Bill

Higher RPMs
about 2500 si far.
dropped with ZX 14 dog bones and put on T-Rex skid bars that barely fit.

Offline alansides

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 08:54:49 pm »

Bob Skinner

Found the culprit today. Retorqued the bottom engine mount and it improved 100%. It had loosened 1/4 turn since installing Trex bars. Thanks for this tip!

Offline Godpossessed

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 09:04:07 pm »
I don't know about the bar ends but I do know I added a pair of grip puppies and that seemed to take about 65% of the buzziness out of my bars.  I also bought a good pair of leather gloves with gel pads around the palm area of my hands and that took about another 10% of the buzziness out.  I don't really notice the vibration that is left.  Me and a buddy just completed the Saddle Sore 1000 this week and I had no problems what so ever.  My bike is a 2016 with a little over 3000 miles on it now, should i expect even more vibration down the road?

I now have new gel-palm deerskin gloves and freshly installed grip puppies. Breakfast with a Triumph riding buddy tomorrow and the a couple of hours of backroads before the heat gets unbearable. C'mon October!

Offline Godpossessed

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 01:51:32 pm »

I now have new gel-palm deerskin gloves and freshly installed grip puppies. Breakfast with a Triumph riding buddy tomorrow and the a couple of hours of backroads before the heat gets unbearable. C'mon October!

Bad call on the Grip Puppies. I have smallish hands (no Trump jokes please) and the grips were just a bit too fat. Message me with your address and I'll send them to anyone who wants them.

Mark

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 03:37:35 pm »

Bad call on the Grip Puppies. I have smallish hands (no Trump jokes please) and the grips were just a bit too fat. Message me with your address and I'll send them to anyone who wants them.

Mark

I'll take the grip puppies if no one wants it. Need to try these if possible!

PM sent...

Robert
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline Godpossessed

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 07:03:51 pm »
message sent

Offline curt1480

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2017, 12:35:21 pm »
Grip puppies, gel padded mesh style gloves, padded biker shorts and double gel inserts in the boots.  That is the recipe to a smooth ride.  I can ride for a 1000 miles without any problems.  It even takes the vibration out of the pegs for me.  Hope it helps.