Author Topic: Harbor Freight lift Black Friday special $279  (Read 752 times)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Harbor Freight lift Black Friday special $279
« on: November 23, 2017, 07:00:35 pm »
Not sure where to put this but if you're looking or thinking about one of these,  the price is right at the moment.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4717b_preview&utm_source=1021&cid=mEmail_s1021_c4717b_preview&sfid=
2014 C-14

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Harbor Freight lift Black Friday special $279
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 07:25:21 pm »
Been looking at this for a while now. I am very weary of a lot of things from Harbor Freight however I do have a heavy duty transmission jack from them that works great and quality is surprisingly good.
I use the jack for Allison 1000s, they are a bully and heavy unit for sure and that Jack has never let me down. Based on my transmission jack I would say this is probably an excellent buy.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 09:05:40 pm »
Ive had mine for a couple of years For the price I am pleased with it
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 09:12:21 pm »
Not sure where to put this but if you're looking or thinking about one of these,  the price is right at the moment.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4717b_preview&utm_source=1021&cid=mEmail_s1021_c4717b_preview&sfid=

Yep, great price, sale currently is at the lowest $$ you will see on it... if you have an outlet local, pick one up, shipping is expensive..
I've had one for over 10 years, and have to ask why I didn't buy one sooner... really saves the back and legs...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline LURCH

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12329
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 02:23:37 am »
Absolutely getting one I got lucky and found one on the local OfferUp for $80 along with the heavy duty front wheel clamp the guy used it three times and sold his bike I couldn't get there fast enough but I got it

Offline Motor Psycho

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12190
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 09:48:10 pm »
I bolted a Baxley Sport Chock on to mine. The front wheel clamp that comes with it, is sketchy at best. Sport chock works great.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 10:20:40 pm »

Buddy of mine has that stand.  We used it when we did the tires on my C14 back in 2016. Didnt see any problems.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 10:31:17 pm »
I bolted a Baxley Sport Chock on to mine. The front wheel clamp that comes with it, is sketchy at best. Sport chock works great.

I'll caution folks about the idea of a wheel chock up front... don't spend the money....
What people don't realize until they use this stand, is once the bike is on it, when you actuate the center stand and get the bike stood up, the front wheel moove backwards over 2", or more, making a chock a bit useless..

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 11:38:49 pm »
Good point, but a good front wheel chock is still very useful for me.  I use it to steady the bike when I first drive it up on the lift.  The chock does this very well, so I can ride the bike into position, get off it and install tiedowns to secure the bike, all without having to call for help. 

Probably 80% of my work on the lift does not require removal of either wheel.  I've set up the chock with 4 easy to remove bolts, so the chock gets lots of use.

When I change tires or do other wheel work I get someone to help steady the bike while I get it up on the center stand.
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 02:51:38 am »
Good point, but a good front wheel chock is still very useful for me.  I use it to steady the bike when I first drive it up on the lift.  The chock does this very well, so I can ride the bike into position, get off it and install tiedowns to secure the bike, all without having to call for help. 

Probably 80% of my work on the lift does not require removal of either wheel.  I've set up the chock with 4 easy to remove bolts, so the chock gets lots of use.

When I change tires or do other wheel work I get someone to help steady the bike while I get it up on the center stand.

Yeah, getting the beast on the centerstand is a job on the lift, I place a small handmade pallet next to the lift to stand on for that...
As for tire changes, front tire is uber easy on lift, when used with factory tire clamp, I slip some 1x4's alongside the wheel, and it let's me crank down on the front clamp fine, I also drilled the deck for rear eyebolts as insurance tiedowns to steady the bike for wrenching..
Just wanted to caution folks about spending $50 on a chock, and finding it useless when trying to remove the front tire, and also it isn't conducive to holding the front wheel when rocked on the centerstand..

Offline LURCH

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12329
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 03:02:12 am »
I'm pretty sure everybody has seen those paper thin multi-colored chopping placemats I wouldn't call them chopping blocks I take two and put them under the bike once the wheel is in the chock and just push down on the center stand and it's slide right under the bike

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 04:53:06 pm »

I wanted more "foot room" so I installed two 1X8 peices of pine from Lowe's on each side of my stand.

Using peices of steel angle iron bolted under the bike stand for support.

This allows more room to get on and off the bike as I drive it up the ramp.

I have a holder, so to speak on the front which holds the bike up while I get off.

All of this is to make the stand safer for me and the bike! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 05:35:01 pm »
The way I deal with the centerstand
get the bike on the lift get the front wheel secured in the chock take the seat off attach a come along between the rafters and the crossbar under the seat Pick the bike up with the come along just enough to get it on the centerstand ease everything down leaving the come along hooked up
Yes it may take more time but its easier for me to do it this way
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 05:38:58 pm »
Good idea.
2014 C-14

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 01:59:06 am »
My friend got back today  from The Turkey Rod Run in Daytona Beach and picked one up for $170. It is exactly like the one in the Harbor Freight picture.

I did the final assembly ,wheels and such then and put a Ducati 748 up on it that needed a stator. 
Seems to be half decent product.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 02:31:58 am »
Nice. Where'd he get one for $170?  That's a great price.
2014 C-14

Offline DiverRay

• Tricycle
  • Ride Safe, Ride Fast
  • COG#: 12498
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 05:18:07 am »
I picked one up yesterday! The bike is on it now, as I needed to change the cooling hoses, oil change, and final drive oil. SO much better than working with the bike on the ground!! ;D I did put on the HF front wheel chock and four extra tie down points. Well worth the money in saved back and ease of working on the bike.
Ray Matteis
KE6NHG
2011 Concours
1978 XS1100 Yamaha (winter project)

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 09:08:56 am »
My friend got back today  from The Turkey Rod Run in Daytona Beach and picked one up for $170. It is exactly like the one in the Harbor Freight picture.

I did the final assembly ,wheels and such then and put a Ducati 748 up on it that needed a stator. 
Seems to be half decent product.

Hi,
       If you do some serious research into these Bike Lifts....

You are going to find, that to do really any better...

You have to spend almost 3X the money!

Even with the HF Lift at the usual on sale price of $299! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • COG#: 11328
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 11:06:59 am »
Daytona_Mike,where did he get it for that price?    The Wizard
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later Velorex sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98+88,90+99 Concours for resurrection           CDA#540

Offline ZXtasy

• Mini Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 12:19:02 pm »
My HF lift has performed great and saved me many aches and pains for about 8 years now. Bought it basically new for 100 bucks from the owner who only put his Goldwing on it once, then decided to sell it  and the bike. Heard about it from his brother who worked with me and gave him the money through him, and then had a friend who lived in that town 2 hours away go pick it up. My friend ended up using the lift for about a year before I made room in my garage and went to pick it . Friend said he hated me now, since he was going to have to buy his own after realizing how stupid it was to live without one for so long! If you do any of your own maintenance and/or have multiple rides, these are indispensable.

I also have a Craftsman ATV floor lift, works great fr big cruiser frames, and a 700 dollar EZ-Rizer Big Blue that is pretty awesome. Bought it when my business was doing so well I needed the tax write-offs, and it does have the benefit of 360 degree access under the lifted bike. So even at 279 these are a decent purchase.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 08:19:08 pm »
Daytona_Mike,where did he get it for that price?    The Wizard

I am trying to get more details.
All I know is he said he picked it up at the Daytona Race track during  the Turkey Run event    http://www.turkeyrun.com/
if I get anymore details I will post ASAP.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 08:40:13 pm »
I bought a used 1 a couple of weeks ago.
Mine is a "Big Red"?

Very similar top to the HF Model shown in the add, but the lifting mechanism is different.

First time I used it, I hated the front wheel chock.
  Got to figure something out that is better.
  This discussion has gives me a couple of thoughts.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline ZXtasy

• Mini Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 12:58:17 am »
I find the light gauge front wheel clamp to be adequate. I did add 4 tie down points, 2 fore and 2 aft and have used them for additional stabilizing. A couple of times I used a scissor jack to lift up the back of the bike just enough to move the center stand in place by hand, thus not having to deal with the front wheel moving out of the chock.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 01:26:05 am »
I find the light gauge front wheel clamp to be adequate. I did add 4 tie down points, 2 fore and 2 aft and have used them for additional stabilizing. A couple of times I used a scissor jack to lift up the back of the bike just enough to move the center stand in place by hand, thus not having to deal with the front wheel moving out of the chock.

That's a good idea, too. Thanks.
2014 C-14

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • aka 'handyman'
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 12:16:38 am »
I've had one for at least five years and there is ALWAYS a bike on it. The front wheel chock is trash. I added a Handy front wheel clamp from a previous project. Then the clamp was only $98. Easily twice that now.

A good front wheel clamp eliminates the need to use the centerstand. I never use the centerstand, but picked up a flat plate scissor jack specifically to lift the bike, pivoting on the front axle, once it is in the wheel chock and clamped down.

Remember, both the C10 and C14 are large machines that bear caution loading and lifting on this lift. Think it's heavy on the ground? Wait till it gets in its mind it wants to tip when its half a foot higher off the ground. If you're stupid, you better be strong. And no, I haven't dropped mine, but it has tested me a time or two.
Somewhere far away. Soon
Overland Expo, BVF, ...another BDR?

'14 S10, '06 C10, '02 TTR250, '74 R75/6 Hack, '72 XS650