Author Topic: Hardware and push pins  (Read 1838 times)

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
  • Membership Level: Active
Hardware and push pins
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:30:35 am »
Does anybody have a good source for the push pins, screws and nuts that keeps the fairing in place? My 2010 came with two bolts that keep the upper fairing tied together under the windshield. One of those has rattled out.  I'm thinking one of those push pins would be a better choice for those two spots if I can find the right size.  In addition I've had to cobble together a few other spots with screws from my general and out of control collection of scrws, nuts and bolts but would rather have OEM or close if possible. Murph used to sell a bag of screws for the old C10 but I don't see anything like that for the C14 on his site. Thanks.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
Re: Hardware and push pins
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 12:37:20 pm »
I just ordered a few of the smaller push rivets from Partzilla the other day....mostly because I fig'd I might need a few spares.

They're not cheap...a littleover $2ea.  As info, Bike Bandit was near double for everything.  :-X

Check out the parts stickie in this section, the part numbers are there for everything you need.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 02:48:59 pm »
Thanks GR. I'll do that.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline F143744

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12149
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:08:27 pm »
Hey, I get my plastic push pins at Autozone, I'm not sure but 3/16" sounds right. Anyway, they will let you take some outside to try fit. A lot cheaper price for the same type item. A package of 10 or so, less than $5.  Your money...
2014-C14
2011-KLR650
1998-ST1100

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 12:47:32 am »
I have had very good luck with these push rivets. I think they are more gooder than stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391003952499?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 10:26:53 am »
Thanks Ill swing by Autozone today and see what they have.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:40:58 pm »
Hey, I get my plastic push pins at Autozone, I'm not sure but 3/16" sounds right. Anyway, they will let you take some outside to try fit. A lot cheaper price for the same type item. A package of 10 or so, less than $5.  Your money...

not 3/16 they are M6 three stage rivets.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline notsluggo

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10187
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:14:49 pm »
My dealer has two different packages of these for $5.95 per (ten items per package).  Maybe yours does too?
Ride safe(r).
- notsluggo
2011 Concours 14 - The Silver Bullet!
2014 KLR650 - Kelly
Parker, CO

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 06:47:10 pm »
I bought a Nylon Push Pin Sport bike Rivet kit from Cycle Gear a few years ago.  It had most of the rivets for the bike, but is missing the small rivets under the windscreen.  Two of those with part number #92039-0051 cost nearly as much as that entire 192 piece kit.  It looks like they don't sell it any more.   ::)

I also bought a Sport Bike bolt kit that they no longer sell.  The bolts are great because you have them when you need them.  This kit looks ok as a replacement.
http://www.cyclegear.com/BOLT-Off-Road-Pro-Pack-Hardware-Kit
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline bearbait

• Bearbait
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 8920
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:40 pm »
I bought some rivets at Advance Auto that are threaded, no need to pry them out.  BB
2009 C14 ABS, Muzzy exhaust with Power Commander V, and best of all the Corbin Seat!
Past bikes:
1962 Honda Super 90, 1965 Honda 305 Super Hawk, 1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro, 1973 Hodaka Road Toad 100, 1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat 125, 1970 Husqvarna 400 Motocross, 1975 Honda 360 Scrambler, 1980 Kawasaki 250 Enduro, 1978 Honda 750 Four, 2000 Kawasaki C10, 2006 Kawasaki Z750S

Offline bigfraid

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 11:17:15 pm »

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 02:17:29 pm »

MOB, I am searching for the push pins and saw this post, after more searching a saw info from one reviewer that these didn’t work in his 2012 Concours. Have you used them in a c14?  Thanks

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 06:32:42 pm »

MOB, I am searching for the push pins and saw this post, after more searching a saw info from one reviewer that these didn’t work in his 2012 Concours. Have you used them in a c14?  Thanks

I did not, nor did I buy any of the ones mentioned, I was only giving the size that fit thru the holes for reference...
Last year, Murph and I collaborated in trying to find a "correct fitting" replacement, and he bought some various ones, sent a couple to me for testing. The end result was that one was "close", but most didn't quite work well. The one that was "close" would have been ok, but as it was 1/4", it really required "reaming" out the holes with a drill bit, to get them to work, and allign all the various layers they protrude thru... I didn't feel it would be viable to have folks enlarging the holes in the plastic, as a solution, so between us we kinda both dropped the idea of the one that kinda worked...
When I say "kinda worked", you could force them into the existing holes, but after you lock them, and try to unlock them for removal, they wouldn't fully unlock, and then they would wedge in and not come back out without a bunch of delicate prying, which tended to bugger them up, along with the plastic around them being retained. I did do some hole drilling on some old plastic stuff I had in the shop, and if I drilled them properly, the rivets worked like OEM's, but the hole size required for easy in/out was the part that I said no to. Only because going back to an OEM pin was not going to work after enlarging the holes, so the next person that buys the modifide bike, has to deal with mystery parts, which I hate to see.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 08:12:23 pm »

I did not, nor did I buy any of the ones mentioned, I was only giving the size that fit thru the holes for reference...
Last year, Murph and I collaborated in trying to find a "correct fitting" replacement, and he bought some various ones, sent a couple to me for testing. The end result was that one was "close", but most didn't quite work well. The one that was "close" would have been ok, but as it was 1/4", it really required "reaming" out the holes with a drill bit, to get them to work, and allign all the various layers they protrude thru... I didn't feel it would be viable to have folks enlarging the holes in the plastic, as a solution, so between us we kinda both dropped the idea of the one that kinda worked...
When I say "kinda worked", you could force them into the existing holes, but after you lock them, and try to unlock them for removal, they wouldn't fully unlock, and then they would wedge in and not come back out without a bunch of delicate prying, which tended to bugger them up, along with the plastic around them being retained. I did do some hole drilling on some old plastic stuff I had in the shop, and if I drilled them properly, the rivets worked like OEM's, but the hole size required for easy in/out was the part that I said no to. Only because going back to an OEM pin was not going to work after enlarging the holes, so the next person that buys the modifide bike, has to deal with mystery parts, which I hate to see.

Thanks for the reply, I think I’ll passand go see the dealer and pick up a few!

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 08:31:52 pm »
Stuff on the net changes daily, and maybe now you may find a 6mm version someone may supply now... as I say, it was just over a year ago we were doing this legwork, and not searching today, I can't say someone may have them for sale...  anything better than OEM priced ones would be nice...
If ya find them, revisit and post them up.

Offline Hosspower

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12782
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 11:56:38 am »
These are the ones I found at my local dealer. They don't seem quite the same quality as the factory ones but they have been very good so far. I have put them in just about every spot that takes a 6mm rivet. And its no surprise that they seem to be cheaper online.

https://boltmotorcyclehardware.com/collections/nylon-rivets-for-atv-utv-sportbike-scooter/products/m6-push-rivet

And free shipping right now!

Has anyone else tried these before or see any possible issues with them?

Rob
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:00:24 pm by Hosspower »
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline Gscott

• Bicycle
  • 09 C14
  • COG#: 12413
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 12:18:26 pm »
Just ordered 2bags 6mm push rivets (upper left of page on post by hosspower) FREE SHIPPING! YEA!
Now to wait to see if they work.   

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 01:50:17 pm »
Just ordered 2bags 6mm push rivets (upper left of page on post by hosspower) FREE SHIPPING! YEA!
Now to wait to see if they work.

Me too! Thanks for the info!

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 05:29:38 pm »
These are the ones I found at my local dealer. They don't seem quite the same quality as the factory ones but they have been very good so far. I have put them in just about every spot that takes a 6mm rivet. And its no surprise that they seem to be cheaper online.

https://boltmotorcyclehardware.com/collections/nylon-rivets-for-atv-utv-sportbike-scooter/products/m6-push-rivet

And free shipping right now!

Has anyone else tried these before or see any possible issues with them?

Rob

Just asking so I know, how many times have they been cycled thru the install/remove/install/remove cycle, and what tool do you use for releasing the lock?
The ones up behind the windshield are the ones most often removed, and there is very little room for a removal tool there...
Just again again, as the OEM ones are even tricky to extract, once the pin is pushed in, without dropping them into the "abyss"

Offline Hosspower

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12782
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 05:35:18 pm »
I have probably taken some of them in and out 5 times so far. I just use a short screw driver bit to pop the center in. I do have the Madstad brackets though that make it a lot easier. Try using a small allen wrench that is shaped like an L.

Rob
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • COG#: 12802
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 05:36:00 pm »
Thanks, great find!!

Question though, on my 2009 I don't see many of these?

Also anyone know where you can get those clear plastic washers that are under the bolts on the fairing pieces ?
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 05:50:53 pm »
I have probably taken some of them in and out 5 times so far. I just use a short screw driver bit to pop the center in. I do have the Madstad brackets though that make it a lot easier. Try using a small allen wrench that is shaped like an L.

Rob
Cool...
I made a small L tool with a piece of coathanger wire, , actuall, its a Z shaped thing... legs are 3/8" and 1/2" with about 4" between them..
I also have some dentist picks with 90* pointy tips, I use for prying the rivet up and out... works fine..on the OEM ones.. I'll pick up a pack of the ones noted, just for spares...

Wolverine... keep looking, they are all over the place, front of the black filler pieces top fairing under the frontbottom of the windscreen, and on the black front fairing bezel piece at the radiator surround, at the bottom.. a couple other places also around the rear/side bottom wheel recess filler pan, and rear of side filler pans.. some are the kind with a phillips head screw, that never unscrews... so they get pried out/punched out and replaced... never could make those work

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • COG#: 12802
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 07:25:42 pm »
thanks MOB,

Anyone know a source for the little small clear washers that go on the allen bolts around the various fairing pieces
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 07:49:25 pm »
I used a very small Allen key to push the pins, in the tool bag anyway!

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267