Author Topic: has anyone stacked risers?  (Read 712 times)

Offline cowie

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
has anyone stacked risers?
« on: April 03, 2017, 04:11:46 pm »
Hey guys,

Ive seen it done once but wanted some more opinions. i realize i may get flamed for this but here goes.

I plan to stack 2 sets of 2" risers and also add the set backs with wedges. the one fella that did this said it was exactly what he needed and the bike was totally comfortable, and im assuming safe from the way he explained it.

obviously the clutch and brake line will need to be extended, but how about the throttle and wires? seems like there would be enough for them.

of course I will be using all the correct length high grade bolts/hardware.

anyone done this or something similar?

thanks.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: has anyone stacked risers?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 04:20:22 pm »
My biggest concern would be the strength of the bolts and also the threads holding them.  You'd going to be adding 4" plus to the original intent.  I'm sure this can be done but I think if it were me, I'd be looking at moving up a size or two in the fasteners.  Yes that would take some drilling and tapping but considering the implications of a failure and when it's most likely to happen, you might want to consider it.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 04:38:17 pm »
I have stacked risers on my C-10 several times. I always use good quality hardened Allen bead bolts from my local tool and fastener place. Been riding it for many years with no issues.
Oh and don't worry about getting flamed. That happened to me the first time I mentioned doing it.
They said it would affect the handling. But ask anyone who has chased me thru the twisted and they can attest to the handling being quite sufficient. But I agree with the other poster about going up a size in fasteners.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:42:47 pm by Jim Snyder »
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline cowie

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 04:44:14 pm »
thanks fro the reply's guys. yes im not worried about handling.

i have also thought about when a failure would would occur - it would seem to me that it would be a parking lot speeds or if picking the bike up after a drop etc. at high speed the bars dont get any stress.

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12177
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 04:55:04 pm »
I may be the one who you are talking about that did this.  It worked great.  I also had a set of AST pullback risers in the mix.  It was a lot of stuff, but there were no issues.  Very comfortable for me (nerve damaged hands).  Plenty of cable available, but the hydraulic lines were extended.  I even went so far as to crash test it (thanks to a terrible cage driver), and the handlebar itself broke, while all of the stuff I put on the bike was fine.  I would have a really hard time believing that the bolts would not be strong enough, but I'm not an engineer.  I guess you need to find an engineer who will crash test it to be sure...
I have helibars on the new bike, love them, but expensive. 

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 05:05:39 pm »
I have raised my handle bars with the AST bar back risers and used the Precision Engineering handle bars to raise then higher and back to give me more comfort,  Yes they are a cost a bit more but are fully adjustable which makes it very nice.  I did use six (6) inch longer stainless steel braided clutch and brake lines, they were ordered from Galfer, there are several other that make them also.  I also extended the throttle cables six (6) inches also with stainless steel braided covers.  The existing wiring can be routed to match the longer lines, however I do not think they can go much further.
https://www.preeng.com/xcart/2008-Current-Kawasaki-Adjustable-Handlebars.html

Offline cowie

• Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 05:12:34 pm »
Hey Rodney...yes it was you! hope you are ok from the crash -  and thats enough to settle it for me. If the bar broke before the riser setup that must say something.

so as long as i get the extensions for the hyralic lines all the others will be long enough? thanks again.

btw, do you have any of the hardware left from your old setup? i need the pull backs and more risers / hydro lines and murphs washers.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 05:16:34 pm »
Cowie,
I have a set of wedges here. Maybe even two sets. PM me

Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 05:20:08 pm »
Hey Rodney...yes it was you! hope you are ok from the crash -  and thats enough to settle it for me. If the bar broke before the riser setup that must say something.

so as long as i get the extensions for the hyralic lines all the others will be long enough? thanks again.

btw, do you have any of the hardware left from your old setup? i need the pull backs and more risers / hydro lines and murphs washers.
Doing fine, now!  Takes time when you are not 20 years old anymore.  I sold my whole setup to a guy on here, then I think he sold it to someone else.  I guess it was not good for him for some reason.  I got the line extensions from helibar people.  You may need to call them, as I don't think they are listed on their site.  Cheap, maybe $20 each?  Not beautiful, but the whole setup is "interesting" so it didn't matter to me!

Offline RodneyW

• Mini Bike
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 05:21:57 pm »

BTW- I had read that the bars were designed to break off in a crash, which kind of makes sense, except that they break off leaving a sharp, jagged spear that looks like it would gut you if you hit it wrong!  I was surprised at that!

Offline Irreverend Joe

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12367
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 02:07:47 am »
I'm running with a set of Murph's risers plus his wedges - not sure if that counts as stacking or not, but the wedges do raise the grips a bit on top of the gain from the risers.  The angles and height work really well for me at 5'10". (I have short legs for my height, average length arms - probably would be 5'11" if my legs were proportionate to the rest of me.)  I have some trouble with carpal tunnel and the wedges take some of the compound angle out of the grips, as well as putting them a little farther up, a tad closer together, and a little farther back compared to the risers alone.  I don't notice a handling difference, or at least I don't any more, seems like it felt a little different for a while after I installed them last year but now it feels like the bike came that way.     

Oh, and this combination doesn't require any mods to the brake or clutch lines, at least not on a non-ABS 2009.
2009 non-ABS, Metallic Diablo Black, Area P full system, Canyon Cages (front and back), Murph's risers and wedges, Givi ES450 Monolock trunk, Phil's rack, Sargent low seat, Steve's flash, Top Block swing arm and axle sliders

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 02:34:42 am »
I use Phil's extensions. Gives a 4" rise/reach. Adjustable. Either these or Helibars are your best choice. I did not need to extend the wiring or the throttle but did the brake and clutch lines.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 10:15:06 am »
Gregg,
Looks like you have risers on there as well.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline Gitbox

• Moped
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 11:56:19 am »
Neat looking ape hangers!  ;)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 10:36:45 pm »
Gregg,
Looks like you have risers on there as well.
Matt

I had to put 1" risers on in order to lower the front end.

Offline cowie

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 03:52:26 pm »
thoes extensions look pretty slick. where can i get some?

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 09:28:10 pm »
Try emailing Phil through www.philsfarkels.com

He may not be making them anymore as they are labor intensive, but maybe he can be persuaded.

Offline Formichella

• Florida 1 Mad Max
  • Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12365
Re: just spend the $695 and get the REAL Heli Bars ,
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 05:59:03 pm »
6 Way Adjustable, you can move them any direction you want , if you cant make them work for you , BUY A STEERING WHEEL !!!!!!!!
John Boy