Author Topic: Headlight upgrade  (Read 5539 times)

Offline JDSCO

• Mini Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12593
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Headlight upgrade
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 02:35:28 pm »
I have had very good luck with PIAA Antivibration H4 and H3 Extreme Whites in my KTM990Adv and I ride a lot of single track.
It's a euro headlight so that means that both bulbs are on for high-beam, not DOT approved.
Both bulbs new in May 2014. No failures since new.

I have installed PIAA Antivibration H4 Extreme White's in my 2016 C14 and I am pleased.

I had ZERO luck with H4 LED's purchased in 2014, installed in my 2008 C14. Both LED H4's were crap in 3 months and they weren't cheap at all.

I love LED light potential and I want to order these Evitek G6H4's that you all have been commenting on.

I avoid night riding because of all the large wildlife on the roads where I live.
The PIAA's IMO are very bright but do not have ample side-of-the-road illumination.

So please, what is your ongoing road test user opinion toward Evitek G6H4?
Any other LED H4's worth mentioning?

Thanks in advance!
"It's not bragging if you can back it up"
Muhammad Ali

Offline OKC14

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 02:39:06 pm »
I have had very good luck with PIAA Antivibration H4 and H3 Extreme Whites in my KTM990Adv and I ride a lot of single track.
It's a euro headlight so that means that both bulbs are on for high-beam, not DOT approved.
Both bulbs new in May 2014. No failures since new.

I have installed PIAA Antivibration H4 Extreme White's in my 2016 C14 and I am pleased.

I had ZERO luck with H4 LED's purchased in 2014, installed in my 2008 C14. Both LED H4's were crap in 3 months and they weren't cheap at all.

I love LED light potential and I want to order these Evitek G6H4's that you all have been commenting on.

I avoid night riding because of all the large wildlife on the roads where I live.
The PIAA's IMO are very bright but do not have ample side-of-the-road illumination.

So please, what is your ongoing road test user opinion toward Evitek G6H4?
Any other LED H4's worth mentioning?

Thanks in advance!

I've had the Evitek G6H4s installed for awhile, love them. No issues with heat, really lights up the road when needed, and the price point was great.  They do take a bit of adjustment to get a good cutoff, but I'm super happy overall.  The improvement over stock cannot be overstated. I also did LED city lights and plan on led signals, just haven't gotten around to it.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 03:41:58 pm »
I have running H4 HIDs from Procycle with high/low function for over 3 years now in the C14, no issues.

I recently put H7 R3 LED's from ADVMonster in my KLR and they are excellent in brightness and beam pattern.

I just bought the LED H4's R3 from ADVM for the C14, I'll let you know they turn out.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 03:04:02 pm »
Just finished replacing the H4 HIDs with the LEDs. What a difference in packaging. HID harness and lights, LED's at the top right hand side.

HID's had a magnetic base the moved the capsule into the high beam position for the brights. LED's have 2 LED's per bulb and when on high the complete reflector is illuminated, the cutoff appears perfect but this in my garage with the lights off. Real world comes next.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:05:41 pm by gpd323 »
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 09:46:30 pm »
Looking forward to your review as I am about to purchase a set of these LED's.  Thanks

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 11:04:05 pm »
I've had the HIDs which I loved, but the ballast burned out too quickly. I assume because of it being located up in the fairing where it gets pretty warm. Tried three different ballasts, with the same results. I figured if I try them again, will relocate the ballast under the seat. Presently run Sylvania Super Whites. They seem to last forever.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline JDSCO

• Mini Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • COG#: 12593
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 12:04:31 am »
They do take a bit of adjustment to get a good cutoff"

Is the "adjustment" mechanical?

Does the LED element(s) rotate about the H4 mount ring (three prong flange) so you can "aim" the LED's?
"It's not bragging if you can back it up"
Muhammad Ali

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 01:57:19 pm »
They do take a bit of adjustment to get a good cutoff"

Is the "adjustment" mechanical?

Does the LED element(s) rotate about the H4 mount ring (three prong flange) so you can "aim" the LED's?

No adjustment on the LED's, they seem correctly aligned. The H4 base does twist off so you can place the base in the light housing, secure it and then push the LED lamp through the H4 base hole and twist it tight. It only goes in the base one way and the LED's point up and down. On my KLR the LED's point left/right
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 11:51:49 pm »
I just bought a set of the Evitechs, I want to compare between the ADV Monster ones and the Evi's. The ADV version is a white light for sure, but its not near 5700K as described. Its more 4700 or so, ok, I am not a ligth bulb temp expert, but the ADV's just seem to be on the lower side of the Kelvin scale.

I had to adjust the lamps coming off the HIDs to the LEDs', had to drop the lamps 2 turns down to get the cutoff at car trunk level.

My Evitechs arrive Wednesday, I will see how they do.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline old fart

• Moped
  • I dabbled in pacifism once
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11585
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 01:44:33 am »
Using the Evitechs on my C14 along with the mondomotors. Also switched the city lights to leds. i did see that mondomotors has stopped their online sales. Don't know if they went out of business or what. Happy with my setup.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here"

09 Connie(totaled)
14 Connie with SiSF flash

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2017, 01:54:54 pm »
I can't remember which brand HID I bought for my '08 and '12 at the time, but I've had both bikes equipped with them shortly after taking possession. The ballasts are mounted down on the cover plate which sits at the bottom of the fairing and it appears to be sufficiently windy there to cool them.

IIRC, color temp was 5500K. Not quite 'bright white'. These weren't a set of cheapies. They put out significantly more light than the stock bulbs, and yes - there is a sharp cutoff. I'm used to having more of a "flood" effect but at least this way the increased light won't bother oncoming drivers.

Offline Fork

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10691
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 03:00:49 pm »
I have had the Evitek G6H4's installed for about 6 months now and couldn't be happier. Lots of light and a well defined cutoff on dim. When first installed, I thought they were worthless until I discovered that both lights needed to be adjusted downward on the headlight adjuster knobs because the focus point on the Evitek's was higher than the standard bulbs. Once adjusted, I love them. Much more light and much improved visability during the daylight hours.

Dan Forker

Offline curt1480

• Training Wheels
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2017, 01:05:10 pm »
I also purchased the Evitek led H4 bulbs after hearing positive reviews by members.  It produces more light at better range.  The web site had the cooler at 5000k but what I got was a 6500k led light, which has a slight blue hue to it.  I will use these until something better comes along.

Offline Dragoon

• proud PGR Rider and wildly handsom
  • Road Bike
  • keep your knees in the breeze , not easy on a cony
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 12:48:15 pm »
I have been questioning doing an upgrade...I have the P1 modulator and that doesn't work with LED or HID. However, my cree fog lamps throw a large amount of light and i truly know my modulator to be the best safety device i have ever had....I am looking into building a modulator that will work with LEDs and then i can get the best of both world, by the very nature of the modulator it will never be compatible with HID...
Pardon my spelling, auto correct is my worst enama

Offline jwolffie

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 10509
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 05:37:50 pm »
Why upgrade half way? I went whole hog and did a complete HID upgrade, incredible light down the road with a super sharp cut off, and the halo's flash amber with the turn signals on. The added bonus is it is really hard to get a lock on me with LASAR, I am only about 75 feet away now when they put the gun down, plenty of time to slow down.

Offline Rixtrix

• Big Wheels
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 07:10:00 pm »
I had upgraded to projector bi-xenon on my C-14 about 2 years ago. It was time consuming but not super difficult-the worst part was separating the headlight assembly by baking in the oven. There's a nice write-up/ video for this mod. These are by far the best headlights I have ever used-brightest, widest beam with a sharp cut-off. While I truly love these lights there is one large downfall-cornering. Because of the cut-off on the lights , as you bank into a corner at night the cut-off line essentially lessens the amount of light thrown into the corner-almost like having no lights. But-for straight line/highway riding-nothing beats them, imho.

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 09:42:29 pm »

I wouldn't risk damaging the LED's by supplying them with low voltage through a modulator. Probably would not hurt them but why take a chance.

Matt

Not only that but I don't believe most LED bulbs will work with a modulator. My understanding is that the forward voltage (voltage required to turn on the LED) prevents the modulator from working like it would on a standard halogen bulb. At a minimum, anyone wanting to try running LED's with a modulator should check with the vendor to see if the driver has been designed to be compatible with that.

Just looked over on the Kisan webbie to see if they still have the program for LED bulbs . Looks like they do. Interesting conversation here in the forum for sure https://kisantech.com/mag/pathblazer/p115w.html

From the text on their site

ncandescent Halogen Headlight Bulbs:

For this Option: MAX power rating is 115 watts. DO NOT EXCEED!

LED Headlight Bulbs:

For this Option: Special software program controls the modulation with PWM mode for a "softer" transition.

SELECT appropriate OPTION depending on the type of bulb. Options are not interchangeable!

If you are considering the LED it looks like the engineers may have covered the possibilties...

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2017, 09:49:07 pm »
I just ordered two of these for my 2013

http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-r3-led-headlight/

John Sanders is a friend of mine and I trust his products.  I got two of the LED headlights for my gone R1200GS and they make a big difference in light and being seen. 

On my 2009 I installed HID's,hopefully the LED's will be an easier install 
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 C14 (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2017, 12:41:47 pm »

John Sanders is a friend of mine and I trust his products.  I got two of the LED headlights for my gone R1200GS and they make a big difference in light and being seen. 

COGno, can you post a few pictures of your installation and how the final setup will look like when you get the lights? Reason I'm asking is because i want to do this too; however, i can wrap my head around how to fan out those cooling fibers, when you have the rubber boot supposedly going on top of it.

Thanks man!  :beerchug:
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2017, 06:26:35 pm »

COGno, can you post a few pictures of your installation and how the final setup will look like when you get the lights? Reason I'm asking is because i want to do this too; however, i can wrap my head around how to fan out those cooling fibers, when you have the rubber boot supposedly going on top of it.

I will do that, unless it turns out I screw it all up   :D  which is a possibility.  Below is a picture of how they looked on the R1200GS I just sold and had John's headlights in it.

Jerry Holland  COG  4478

Offline Brad

• Bicycle
  • 2011 C14 Black
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:46 am »
I have run HID's in many bikes, and have even had them survive and still operate after an accident. I found that on my old bike, they threw light fairly well down the road, but did cast a bit of light into oncoming traffic due to the housing reflector not being designed for it.
Once I purchased my C14, I questioned what the best options were. LED lights were still coming out, and still hadn't proved effective enough to use due to low amount of lumens being produced. LED's didn't have enough individual LEDS to produce enough consistent light, and the high/low HID's proved to be unreliable as far as operation, and the position of the filament.

I finally opted to graft into the headlights, 3" clear lens projectors, with factory sized DS2, Phillips Night Breaker bulbs. They operate in the same fashion as factory car HID projectors with high beam and low beam all from a magnetic shutter inside the housing. They produce a wonderful amount of light, consistently from one side of the road to the other. My first long ride at night, we found that they illuminated from the median across all 4 lanes of I-5, all the way to the right hand shoulder. Only downfall, hard corners cause the light to dip creating a dark zone. This would easily be solved with the use of driving lights for fill, and I never plan to banking that far at night for it to matter much. I find that the light output from my headlights tend to illuminate greater than most any other light on the road and can cause people ahead of you to prefer to be behind you due to them overriding their lights. Kinda fun pulling up next the a high end vehicle on my bike and be able to produce a better quality light than them.

Installing is a bit time consuming, and requires  a good deal of disassembly on the front of you bike as well as your headlight housing itself. Modification to the stock housing is required, and does not afford you the option to go back to halogen. Stay with the projectors, or replace the entire housing. I'm still very pleased with the performance of these lights. I did try high/low LED upgrades on a vehicle, and had one fail in less than 5 minuted. I work at a parts store, and we have seen many types of lights come and go.

These are the projectors I grafted in.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/universal-kits/bixenon-morimoto-fxr-stage-3.html
When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
 "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
 But when 'tis out and all things righted,
 God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.

Firemen: your worst day is our everyday. 

Volunteer firefighters do it for free!

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 03:11:12 pm »

I will do that, unless it turns out I screw it all up   :D  which is a possibility.  Below is a picture of how they looked on the R1200GS I just sold and had John's headlights in it.

so Cogno, by the way those heat dissipating "strings" look, the rubber boot was perforated to let them out and perform their task properly, is that correct?
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • Ted calls me Cap'n Crunch.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2017, 03:46:04 pm »
I really like this idea.  Looks like a lot of work, though! 
I have run HID's in many bikes, and have even had them survive and still operate after an accident. I found that on my old bike, they threw light fairly well down the road, but did cast a bit of light into oncoming traffic due to the housing reflector not being designed for it.
Once I purchased my C14, I questioned what the best options were. LED lights were still coming out, and still hadn't proved effective enough to use due to low amount of lumens being produced. LED's didn't have enough individual LEDS to produce enough consistent light, and the high/low HID's proved to be unreliable as far as operation, and the position of the filament.

I finally opted to graft into the headlights, 3" clear lens projectors, with factory sized DS2, Phillips Night Breaker bulbs. They operate in the same fashion as factory car HID projectors with high beam and low beam all from a magnetic shutter inside the housing. They produce a wonderful amount of light, consistently from one side of the road to the other. My first long ride at night, we found that they illuminated from the median across all 4 lanes of I-5, all the way to the right hand shoulder. Only downfall, hard corners cause the light to dip creating a dark zone. This would easily be solved with the use of driving lights for fill, and I never plan to banking that far at night for it to matter much. I find that the light output from my headlights tend to illuminate greater than most any other light on the road and can cause people ahead of you to prefer to be behind you due to them overriding their lights. Kinda fun pulling up next the a high end vehicle on my bike and be able to produce a better quality light than them.

Installing is a bit time consuming, and requires  a good deal of disassembly on the front of you bike as well as your headlight housing itself. Modification to the stock housing is required, and does not afford you the option to go back to halogen. Stay with the projectors, or replace the entire housing. I'm still very pleased with the performance of these lights. I did try high/low LED upgrades on a vehicle, and had one fail in less than 5 minuted. I work at a parts store, and we have seen many types of lights come and go.

These are the projectors I grafted in.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/universal-kits/bixenon-morimoto-fxr-stage-3.html

09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2017, 04:49:01 pm »
so Cogno, by the way those heat dissipating "strings" look, the rubber boot was perforated to let them out and perform their task properly, is that correct?

Acutally on the R1200GS, John provided me another screw on cap that you put the ribbons through.

Doing my C14 yesterday, I took off the large rubber boot, and cut 3 slits on the inner most part so I could push the lights through and have the ribbons stick out the back.  Also included is a larger rubber grommet that can be used if you cut out part of the larger boot.  Like a dumb a** when putting in the left light I caught the low beam led and popped it off  >:(  :-[  (told you I would screw something up)  so I have to order another light to replace it.  The right one I got in without screwing it up

Here is a picture where the left light (right in the picture) low beam is not present   ::)  but the high beam is.  The right light is the stock light, I wanted to see the difference in the two when I noticed the top part of the light was missing 

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:56:39 pm by COGnosticator »
Jerry Holland  COG  4478

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2017, 06:42:01 pm »

Acutally on the R1200GS, John provided me another screw on cap that you put the ribbons through.

Doing my C14 yesterday, I took off the large rubber boot, and cut 3 slits on the inner most part so I could push the lights through and have the ribbons stick out the back.  Also included is a larger rubber grommet that can be used if you cut out part of the larger boot.  Like a dumb a** when putting in the left light I caught the low beam led and popped it off  >:(  :-[  (told you I would screw something up)  so I have to order another light to replace it.  The right one I got in without screwing it up

Here is a picture where the left light (right in the picture) low beam is not present   ::)  but the high beam is.  The right light is the stock light, I wanted to see the difference in the two when I noticed the top part of the light was missing 

Typical bubba....
Didja realise that the gray plastic housing front ring is actually removable... its made that way, so you can install it easily and retain a normally sealed undamaged rubber boot...

Of course, most people wouldn't watch the INSTALLATION VIDEO... because... we all know how to install a light bulb... right? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :))

So, go back to your site link, and watch the vid..... and then, do a double face palm and go... DOH... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :beerchug:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW