Author Topic: Heat from the ZX-14R vs Concours 14  (Read 788 times)

Offline RyanP

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Heat from the ZX-14R vs Concours 14
« on: March 16, 2019, 02:56:01 pm »
Hey all, for whatever reason, I'm sensitive to engine heat. On my ST1300 it simply bothered me enough to sell the bike after putting less that 150 miles on it.

My ZX14 was the worst, riding through Nevada in 100F I was simply amazed at how much heat was pouring on me at 80mph.  I did not have this issue on my CBR1100XX or FJR1300.

I'd very much like to buy a 2011 Concours 14, in hopes that the less powerful engine and (apparently) more obstructive bodywork shields the rider from excess heat.

So for those of you that are bothered by engine heat or even notice more than you'd like, how does your C14 compare to the bike's I've mentioned or other ones you've owned?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Moped
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12916
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Heat from the ZX-14R vs Concours 14
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 05:45:00 pm »
Ryan,
Based upon the bikes you mentioned and the fact I've owned or ridden the bikes you've mentioned, I feel qualified to take a stab at this.

To ME the Honda ST1300 is the worst on the planet, a real nut roaster. I had a sweet one and did every inner body sheild heat modification, installing heat barriers...no help. I also sold that bike. I also did not have any heat issue with my FJR, just didn't like it. I now ride a 2012 C14 and notice zero heat issues from the bike (just the Florida sun) The earlier C14 models (2008 & 2009) were hotter and have been redesigned to effectively mitigate the heat issue. Job well done Kawasaki :great:
 I test road earlier models and it bothered me enough to blow the dust off my wallet for a newer one. 2010 Model year and up, all good for heat protection. Please test ride before you buy and don't take my word.

My ST, It was too hot for me to ride even in Florida winter. Misserable hot bike.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:25:15 am by Tundra »

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Moped
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 13013
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 03:37:56 pm »
While I don't have any experience with an ST1300 or a ZX14, like you I'm pretty sensitive to engine heat roasting my legs.  My '12 Connie has generated absolutely none in the few months I've had it, and even though it's only March, we've already had some pretty toasty days in Austin.  Even at lights where the engine temp has gotten high enough to trip the fans, I've had zero heat on me.  Kawasaki not only redesigned the fairing in '10 for better heat management, they also incorporated extensive heat shielding underneath.
2012 C14

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 08:15:34 pm »
Hey all, for whatever reason, I'm sensitive to engine heat. On my ST1300 it simply bothered me enough to sell the bike after putting less that 150 miles on it.

My ZX14 was the worst, riding through Nevada in 100F I was simply amazed at how much heat was pouring on me at 80mph.  I did not have this issue on my CBR1100XX or FJR1300.

I'd very much like to buy a 2011 Concours 14, in hopes that the less powerful engine and (apparently) more obstructive bodywork shields the rider from excess heat.

So for those of you that are bothered by engine heat or even notice more than you'd like, how does your C14 compare to the bike's I've mentioned or other ones you've owned?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have owned some of the bikes you have mentioned.  Owned a 1997 Honda CBR1100XX, 2010 ZX14, and now own a 2010 C14 and 2013 ZX14R.   You mentioned that the 1100XX didn't heat your legs, mine did, I can't grow hair on my lower legs from a trip done one summer, burned bad while wearing shorts.  My ZX14s are better than the 1100XX for heat on legs by a bit, the C14 is better yet.   2010 + have the engine sealed off pretty good and some of the heat directed away.   You will get heat but it isn't unbearable.  I do sometimes wear shorts, so all of you can flameaway at me for not having better protection!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:45:36 pm »
 :)) :)) :))

nobody flames people anymore about riding in shorts... it's your skin.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
(I live in Ohio also... and find it amusing, watching the kids rip by my house on Rt 84...)
no shirt, no helmet, shorts, n- sandals, bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I do however always recommend gloves...
I'm gonna buy some of these soon...  Kitty Kitty..... Deeeeecent...

:great: :great: :great:

:TPIWWP:

:)) :)) :)) :))

now it really takes it to a new level if you crash on SALT...  oh my... now that's gonna feel groovy.... nekid on Pavement is for wimps.

be safe, :great:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:01:59 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline RyanP

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 01:18:10 am »

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have owned some of the bikes you have mentioned.  Owned a 1997 Honda CBR1100XX, 2010 ZX14, and now own a 2010 C14 and 2013 ZX14R.   You mentioned that the 1100XX didn't heat your legs, mine did, I can't grow hair on my lower legs from a trip done one summer, burned bad while wearing shorts.  My ZX14s are better than the 1100XX for heat on legs by a bit, the C14 is better yet.   2010 + have the engine sealed off pretty good and some of the heat directed away.   You will get heat but it isn't unbearable.  I do sometimes wear shorts, so all of you can flameaway at me for not having better protection!

If you could entertain me with a rating I'd really appreciate it. 1 being the coolest, 10 being unbearable like an St1300, how would you rate your C14 vs the zx14r?

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 12:12:35 am »

Thanks in advance!

If you could entertain me with a rating I'd really appreciate it. 1 being the coolest, 10 being unbearable like an St1300, how would you rate your C14 vs the zx14r?

C14 3.5, ZX14r 5