Author Topic: heat tape  (Read 491 times)

Offline cappyg

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
heat tape
« on: August 01, 2017, 07:08:25 pm »
Anyone use this stuff.
https://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/insulating-materials/reflect-cool

I have some of this at my work my maintenance guy had and said it might work in helping some of the heat coming out of the sides. (2008 C14).  Surely it won't eliminate the heat, but wondered if it would help reduce the amount felt on legs?  Glove box gets pretty warm too.

Greg.
Greg in Cincinnati
GTR1400 08' "Holy Kaw"
CB750 72' Honda (sold)
T500 75' Suzuki Titan
XR400 98' Honda "Tractor"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: heat tape
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:35:20 pm »
One word response....

NO.

Four word response:

NO, don't do it.
 :rotflmao: :motonoises

Ooops, sorry, I spoke before looking at your link, and assumed you were talking pipe wrapping stuff..

The metal foil stuff could assist in some areas, but it needs to be a sandwich material with fiberglass mat ( not just cloth, but mat 1/4" or more thick) as an air space insulation thing to work. Like the under tank pads and such. Just slapping foil on plastic or other parts, will basically cause them to absorb, and hold heat, at a point above their normal threshold of absorption...
I did a lot of testing in my job, trying to reduce "solar induced heat absorbtion, and retention" inside metal enclosures housing electrical power distribution devices used for roadside applications where power panels and such controlled street lighting, and traffic controls...
While "some" benefits were found to "slow down the process" of heating the innerds of "the box", the value was lost when trying to allow the "box" to eject, the heat, and self cool, during the time it wasn't being heated... end result? Unless air is being moved at high volumn, tththe foils, and insulation, retained more than they protected... go figure, it didn't make sense, but in the end, it did make sense.

I always encourage experimentation tho, and if its free... do it, and see what results.. :great: :great: :great:

:) ;)

:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:00:30 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 12:12:58 am »
I've had some success with insulating the inside of those panels. It is with a fiber insulation on one side and foil on the other that is exposed. What from what MOB said, maybe adding an additional layer without exposed foil may help more. I solved the hot glove box by some insulation around the sides but I think what did the trick was trimming the foam blocks under it to let cool air coming up around the steering stem to push in there. The picture shows the left one trimmed and the right one not. I'm pretty comfortable leaving my phone in there now. Just barely warm. That is probably helping the side panels too since I believe the flow path for air going under the glove box is into those cavities behind where our legs touch.

Some people have said the Tech spec tank pads help but I haven't tried that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:56:10 am by PeteTN_zgtr »

Offline Christopher

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 01:03:31 am »
I used some on the bottom of my R1 seat,the crossplanes throw alot of heat.  It worked well.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 05:35:04 am »
I'm pretty comfortable leaving my phone in there now. Just barely warm.
If only my phone would fit inside... :rotflmao:
Also, I noticed there are no relays under top of fuel tank cover, where side faring tie-in bar is. I got couple of relays there. It is just an observation. Perhaps model year related change. 

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 12:00:09 pm »
Right the gen1's have no relays under the cover, the cover also being the glove box. Yes a good size phone will fit in the glove box of a gen1 although it doesn't lock.

Offline LURCH

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12329
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 06:47:31 pm »
I removed my cats and wrapped my whole system with it and it helped with the radiating heat alot. I ride in socal area and it gets a little warm .

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • Ted calls me Cap'n Crunch.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 07:00:43 pm »
My solution was a full Area P system.  Then a layer of left over radiant barrier from home depot (double sided with plastic bubbles in between) under the tank and a cut down piece of insulated silver mylar sunshield (from the car) under the tank glove box.   Next time I ride, I'll check the temp with a thermometer.  I dunno...could be my imagination, but I don't notice the heat. :motonoises:

09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline Deepsea

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 02:34:22 am »
I used a product similar to the DEI gold film that I got from a friend who works at NASA. It's gold but has a layer of mylar bubble wrap. Put it under the gas tank now I have higher heat coming out around the edges. Guess that means it's working.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 10:14:42 am »
I solved the hot glove box by some insulation around the sides but I think what did the trick was trimming the foam blocks under it to let cool air coming up around the steering stem to push in there. The picture shows the left one trimmed and the right one not. I'm pretty comfortable leaving my phone in there now. Just barely warm. That is probably helping the side panels too since I believe the flow path for air going under the glove box is into those cavities behind where our legs touch.

Nice idea.  Have you noticed issues with crap  getting in when stuck riding in the rain? 

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 01:07:26 am »
I solved the hot glove box by some insulation around the sides but I think what did the trick was trimming the foam blocks under it to let cool air coming up around the steering stem to push in there. The picture shows the left one trimmed and the right one not. I'm pretty comfortable leaving my phone in there now. Just barely warm. That is probably helping the side panels too since I believe the flow path for air going under the glove box is into those cavities behind where our legs touch.

Nice idea.  Have you noticed issues with crap  getting in when stuck riding in the rain?

Haven't seen any problems with stuff getting in there. If that would have been an issue those foam partitions would be dirty themselves. It's not really any heavy high speed airflow, but enough to blow some air under the glove box. After looking and seeing that it stays pretty clean, it may help to cut more out to blow back to the rear fairing. I wonder why Kawi thought that little foam wall was even necessary, other than not doing their homework in the first place on the Gen1 fairing.

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 04:59:28 pm »
I assumed the purpose for those was to restrict water passage when riding in the rain.