Author Topic: Help! Rear wheel install...  (Read 2384 times)

Offline skiznsnow

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Help! Rear wheel install...
« on: October 14, 2016, 12:28:24 am »
I've been excited to get rid of the OEM tires, I took the wheel to Cycle Gear today and had them install 190/55 PR3s - pretty stoked.

One minor issue - I can't get the wheel/final drives splines to mesh so I can put on the wheel.  What am I missing?

Thanks for your help guys!

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Help! Rear wheel install...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:47:22 am »
Never had this problem boss but try snicking the shift lever down into 1st and that should stop the final drive from rotating. If it doesn't work you may have another problem. Good Luck!
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:56:44 am »
Rear wheel axle acer tube dropped out of position, reach into drive hub, pull it out and shove it back in place centered in the housing and seals..
Also, fully lift and centralize the mating parts before attempting to jamb them together, if you don't, you will waste the big hub seal for certain, and cost yourself $$$$$
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:00:28 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline skiznsnow

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 01:03:50 am »
Thanks, tried while it was in first. Still no luck. Both wheel and final drive look clear of any debris

Im throughly stumped on this one. I've attached photos - hopefully someone will see my error!

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 02:20:11 am »
Where you located Greg?
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline skiznsnow

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:55:34 am »
Modesto, CA

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 09:32:42 am »
Two things:

1) First of all, your splines look dry.  Moly lube is called for.  I like the Honda M-77 Assembly Paste because it's really thick and stays put.  But any high-moly grease will do here.

2) Use the axle to help align the wheel and splines, there is not a lot of clearance and you need to have it properly aligned, or really close, before they will engage.  It may help to get someone else to assist you but I usually sit on the floor on the RH side of the bike and put my feet under the bottom of the tire.  Use your feet to lift the wheel and then you have both hands free to align it.  It looks awkward but it works for me. 
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline EnsoniqDude

• Assistant Director Central NY Area
  • Road Bike
  • Running Down a Dream
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 11:17:31 am »
I had the same problem a few weeks ago.  Basically, I was on the left side of the bike, pulling the wheel towards the final drive.  A bit of wiggling and sliding the axle back through and it just popped into place.
2010 C14 - "Neptune Blue" - All praise be unto the blessed color!
2007 Ural Tourist
1997 ZX-11
1984 Nighthawk S
1976 CB750
1965 Dream

"Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, its usually something strange and unusual."

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 12:19:04 pm »
Sent you a PM.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 02:40:23 pm »
I use a piece of 2x4 or some folded up cardboard to support the wheel from underneath the tire. This gets the splines aligned and you don't have to struggle with holding up the wheel and trying to align at the same time. :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline WANDRNG

• Street Cruiser
  • SouthWest AAD
    • Wandering Back Roads
  • COG#: 12077
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 03:21:44 pm »
I've only changed the rear tire myself once and I am certainly no mechanic, but it lined right up and went back together. I may have just been lucky.

Concours on center stand, in 1st gear, I sat behind the bike, used my feet to lift the tire/wheel to the right height and guided it with both hands - a little jiggling and it slipped right on.

I'm in Modesto and I'd be willing to stop by  and see if it works better with 2 of us. I'll send a PM (private message).

In looking at your photos I notice something that looked slightly odd - but it may just be the angle of the photo or maybe it should look like that.

Life is too short to live the same day twice.
2015 Concours 14 -- 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 -- 2003 Honda Magna 750 -- 2 V65 Magnas
Wandering Back Roads: RRs -- Wandering the Northwest -- Heading East Out West

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 07:52:43 pm »
I've been excited to get rid of the OEM tires, I took the wheel to Cycle Gear today and had them install 190/55 PR3s - pretty stoked.

One minor issue - I can't get the wheel/final drives splines to mesh so I can put on the wheel.  What am I missing?

Thanks for your help guys!

On the intitial post, there was no mention about the axle insertion... just spline allignment, thus my initial comment about the spacer, but clearly the inner bearing spacer is out of position, which I've never seen occur before on a C14 or a C10... they are usually pinched tightly between the bearings, when the axle has been tightened, and after that point never move on their own... as shown in that photo...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline skiznsnow

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 01:15:45 am »
The axle fits through the wheel fine -- the "inner bearing spacer "is free inside and moves around to accommodate for the axle when inserted. I can fit the axle through the hub and the wheel - just not both at the same time because I cant get aligned on the hub.  Does the inner bearing spacer need repair at the dealer? Hope not!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 03:24:06 pm »
The axle fits through the wheel fine -- the "inner bearing spacer "is free inside and moves around to accommodate for the axle when inserted. I can fit the axle through the hub and the wheel - just not both at the same time because I cant get aligned on the hub.  Does the inner bearing spacer need repair at the dealer? Hope not!

As long as the axle goes through, it's OK.  The spacer is held into place between the bearings by the axle and the pressure from the axle nut.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 07:44:48 pm »
The first couple of times I took the wheel off it was hard to get it lined up but after that I can do it easily. I put my feet under the wheel for support and wiggle it for a while. If supporting with only your arms you may not get the proper angle to do it. I can't think of a reason it won't go on.
Don't forget the moly on the splines. I don't see it in the pics.

Offline skiznsnow

• Big Wheels
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 08:53:21 pm »
Thanks to all of your collective advice, tips, ideas possibly and some blind luck on this newbies part - I finally got the wheel on.

Really appreciate all the help --- this was quite the welcome to the forum - great people here. 

Definitely looking forward to participating in the future.

Thanks again everyone,

Greg

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 10:31:23 am »
Here's a different thought...  Instead of lifting the wheel and trying to align the splines,. Put a jack under the header pipe and jack up the front of the bike, to the proper height. No lifting or struggling. Simply slide wheel onto the splines.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 01:12:26 pm »
Here's a different thought...  Instead of lifting the wheel and trying to align the splines,. Put a jack under the header pipe and jack up the front of the bike, to the proper height. No lifting or struggling. Simply slide wheel onto the splines.

Yup!  :great: :great: :great:
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 04:15:07 pm »
No, no, no. That's not nearly as fun! Hey, you know guys have to make things harder than they are, right? ;D

Great tip, Nicole.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 08:34:38 pm »
Never tried that and never really had an issue installing the rear wheel. But geez, that makes sense.  :-[
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 02:39:51 am »
Thanks guys! I haven't had an issue installing the rear tire either, as this method works really well for those of us with less brawn.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 08:42:33 am »
Thanks guys! I haven't had an issue installing the rear tire either, as this method works really well for those of us with less brawn and more brains.
fify  :)

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 04:00:14 pm »
I use Nicole's meathod to gain clearance with the bike in the side stand doing the front tire change when not using the lift.

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 09:55:49 pm »
I use Nicole's meathod to gain clearance with the bike in the side stand doing the front tire change when not using the lift.

Great idea! Thank you :)
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 01:35:01 pm »
I have to show you a tool I really like for doing this.

I had the Pitbull rear stand.  Obviously, not needed with this bikes centerstand, but it was for my other bike. I had a gift certificate that was going to expire, and I knew my friends would laugh when I brought  this thing out.

Its a Pitbull tire wedge.  Very much usable without the stand.  It will hold the tire/wheel assembly at the perfect height for re-install.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2015/04/14/pit-bull-tire-wedge-positions-wheels-for-easy-axle-removal-installation/