Author Topic: Homemade Oil filter cover  (Read 365 times)

Offline Steve

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Homemade Oil filter cover
« on: October 06, 2018, 12:58:04 am »
Just got home from a ride to my brothers to deliver air filter for his Nomad. I ordered one of those front fender extenders from Larry on here. Got to wondering what would make a good oil filter protector now that I have the fender covered. Low and behold 3 and half inches off the bottom of a SeaFoam can will just fit a HiFlow 303.
Almost fits good enough not to need a clamp. Wont work on a Fram. Too small to fit. Yea, pretty thin but you have a little absorbing area in the bottom of the can from the filter. When I had a Roadstar I wrapped the oil filter with copper ground wire from an old power pole. What the heck, Harley sells oil filter coolers. LOL

Offline luv2fly

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Homemade Oil filter cover
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:57:28 am »
Old school cool, but not as cool as that vice!
Loud pipes save lives but helmet laws suck - Its a safety issue

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 10:19:01 pm »
and for the rest of the people, not using the HiFlo, and not wanting to search the kitchen cabinets for a suitable sized can, and argue with the Missus about WHY we need to cook that lentil soup TONIGHT...

just wrap the bugger' in duct tape, we all have it, 6 or 8 wraps around the filter, and viola... bullet proof... and ya don't get cut fingers from a sharp can...( but that is repairable also, with duct tape...)

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :)) :)) :))

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 10:31:00 pm »
is there a specific purpose for this filer cover? Or you just wanted to show us your cool vise?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 11:16:46 pm »
is there a specific purpose for this filer cover? Or you just wanted to show us your cool vise?

a while back in time, someone took a hit to his oil filter by a chunk of scrap metal tossed up from a front tire, and it pierced the filter.... I think someone else reported one compromised later on also... so it sparked the "filter protector" FARKLE mode...

I think I have a better chance at being struck by lightening..
I do wear aluminum foil underwear, to prevent the RF signals from disrupting my naughty bits, and also lined my helmet in foil to stop the interference from those pesky aliens, who send signals and voices to my brain constantly when I'm riding...

I guess I'll stop wearing those... to preclude lightening strikes now...
but I do run a fenda extenda any way...

:great:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:22:02 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 03:46:31 am »
Foil undies!  :))  a humdinger to hack your naughty bits with rfid hack tool.
But, but kevlar diaper will, I swear it'll will, make you superman-like, unafraid of naughty bits hackers.  :beerchug:

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 03:34:40 pm »
I had some sort of debris fall off of a flatbed truck I was behind on the freeway and even though I was at a safe following distance I was unable to avoid contact with it.

It hit my left foot and the oil filter causing no injury or visible damage to the bike. A few days later I noticed oil dripping from the bike onto my garage floor. Apparently the filter was tweaked just enough to leak when pressurized because I replaced the filter and the leaking stopped.

I don't think even duct tape would have prevented this problem even though I'm a believer in its legendary powers and big Red Green fan.  ;D
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline Steve

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 02:16:58 am »
I guess if you can read calipers you can measure  the two.
I don't keep Sea Foam in with the soup. All things considered I guess it is possible to run over a piece of metal and have it go through the bottom of the engine. All of us don't make 100K and not to hip on every farkle on here. You could put a dirt bike skid plate on also. If you farkle your shifter bushing with those bearings you will find that shifter bolt is not exactly round  by .002 or .003 . Not sure how you farkle a bearing on that. I tin canned that one to with a brass bushing.