Author Topic: Honda oil filter fits. This could be interesting.  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Honda oil filter fits. This could be interesting.
« on: July 06, 2018, 09:02:03 pm »
So I'm doing my first oil change. I went with the Shell Rotella T6 5w40 full synthetic. No problems there. I ordered the oil and filter off Amazon. The filter that came was a K&N. Too big.  I take off the filter on the bike and it's a Bocsh 3300. Little thing. Reminds me of my Honda car filters.
I go online to cross reference Bocsh, Kawasaki, K&N, ect... Cluster f$#=.
The oil filter socket wrench fit the Bocsh so we'll I'd thought I hold it up to the Honda. Perfect match.
Honda's got it right. Almost all their cars use the same filter. When looking for a marine oil filter for my Honda 150 outboard... Honda car filter. 1/4 the price of the marine filter. I've got 2 Honda cars and an outboard. I buy those filters by the dozen. Who'da thunk it?
Took it for a short ride. No leaks. No overhrating (except for the regular 2008 C14 overheating that comes standard here in Florida during the summer).

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Honda oil filter fits. This could be interesting.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:11:55 am »
This isn’t really news...  Nissan, Honda, Kawasaki...  the Japanese manufacturers all use the same filter.  Suzuki is the only oddball.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 01:18:48 am »
I wonder why it didn't show up when I was looking to cross reference filters. Strange. I thought I discovered something new.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 01:21:28 am »
this is an excerpt from the common parts sticky, that sits above these posts, and can be used to save trial by mistake for many aspects...

here's the post, look up from the thread you wrote this in, and read thru it...
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/c14-parts-directory-paint-codes-fluids-and-filters/

from that, you really won't have to guess when it comes to parts... :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

but as you neglected to say which exact filter you installed, nobody can offer anything other than to say "caution".. as some car filters, or other filters for other engines, vary in their "pop off/relief" functions, and could be detrimental if not having the same pressure and operational parameters this bike needs. Just because it screws on, and is similar in size, doesn't mean its proper for use..

so, before purchasing, and installing, at least ask... we will not tell you to take chances.

the below list shows what has been accumulated for this bike, since '07 when it was introduced. It is not all encompassing, but as things get added, it does need some update.

OIL FILTERS  We suggest that you always double check all filters before using them to insure they will work properly.

OEM Oil Filter - 16097-0004
A/C Delco - PF2135
A/C Delco - PF1237
Amsoil - EAO 103
Amsoil - 24942 (this one may be a Wix filter)
Baldwin - B1400
Fram 303 is the shortest for the C14/ZX14 (wonder if the hi-Flo 303 is the same height?)
Fram - PH6017A
Hastings - LF-113 short
Hastings - LF- 240F is the longer version
Hi-Flo Filtro HF 303
Hi-Flo Filtro HF 204  (about a 1/2" shorter than the HF 303)
K&N - KN-303
K&N (automotive) is a hp -1008
Mobil 1 - M1-108
Mobil 1 - M1-110
NAPA - 1356, flows 9-11 gpm, which is the equivalant to the Purolator PL14610 flows 7-9 gpm (but if you type in "PS" before any of the NAPA numbers, you come up with the powersports series.
NAPA - 1365/PS1365, same as the PL14610 except about .825" shorter
Napa Gold - 1358
Napa - PS1358 (black and costs less)
Purolator ML16817 (made for motorcycles)
Purolator Pure One - PL14610 extended length, flows 7-9/9-11 gpm - conflicting info on flo in the posts: (Note: Purolator recommends not using automotive filters on motorcycles)
Purolator Pure One - 2.5"- PL14612: - It is shorter than PL14610 (Note: Purolator recommends not using automotive filters on motorcycles)
Walmart Super Tech - ST7317
Wix - short: 51358; long:  51356
Wix -  51365
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:32:54 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 01:35:11 am »
I wonder why it didn't show up when I was looking to cross reference filters. Strange. I thought I discovered something new.

it is quite probable, the flow characteristics did not meet the ones needed for the application.

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 01:59:53 am »
My current favorite: BOSCH 3323, about $6 to $11 at most auto stores - Works with small cap oil wrench

A little larger than most and a high efficiency rating.
An article I read says when in doubt, buy the larger filter.
More bang for the buck. The Bosch 3323 fits the C14.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 03:42:44 pm »

it is quite probable, the flow characteristics did not meet the ones needed for the application.
very true,i only use filters specified for the c14,using different filters may physically fit but may not be better, and possibly could be worse.. why take the chance just to save a couple bucks??? :)
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 04:26:55 pm »
Coggers,
I went to the K&N site to see if I could find flow spec's (which I did not find) but came across this tidbit of info that moi' did not know about, and I am not sure if I will use it next time I change the oil and filter.  See Item #4 below...Any thoughts?
PROPER INSTALLATION OF YOUR NEW K&N OIL FILTER
  • With a clean cloth or towel, wipe away any remaining used oil or debris from the mounting surface.
  • Apply a thin coat of new engine oil to the O-Ring surface of the new oil filter.
  • Carefully install the New Oil Filter onto the threads and spin-on until contact is made with the crankcase base.
  • With your hand, turn the New Oil Filter ¾ to 1 full turn to fully seat the oil filter.  Do not over tighten.
  • Start the engine and check for any oil leaks. 
Does anyone hand tighten their filters vs. using a torque wrench or socket and calibrated arms to secure their filters?
Cheers!
Gilbysan
gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 05:20:23 pm »
Some years ago I was in a then important oil fixation of mine and looked at the bypass relief psi ratings on several filters. 

Recall that all of the filters I looked at, if I drilled down deep enough into their specs, have very similar oil relief / bypass psi ratings: somewhere around 11-13psi by memory.  So I'm thinking that the physical fit is the most important aspect that we consumers can control. 

Carry on...
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 06:39:50 pm »
wayyyyyy back in time, our pal Dan Bergmen tested flow and filters in depth, for use with the SPOOFAK device (a seriously great product) for the C10...
I don't have his "complete" test list, but it was a multi page report... wish I could find it, as the common filters are the same size,

but, there is some data still on Murph's site, for the C10, and SPOOFAK...

here,

https://www.murphskits.com/docs/OilPressureTests.htm

scroll down, and there are a bunch of documents you may find interesting
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_93&products_id=145&osCsid=GhsGYuZSNJMBxOTkIf0Tq1

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 10:12:48 pm »
Coggers,
I went to the K&N site to see if I could find flow spec's (which I did not find) but came across this tidbit of info that moi' did not know about, and I am not sure if I will use it next time I change the oil and filter.  See Item #4 below...Any thoughts?
PROPER INSTALLATION OF YOUR NEW K&N OIL FILTER
  • With a clean cloth or towel, wipe away any remaining used oil or debris from the mounting surface.
  • Apply a thin coat of new engine oil to the O-Ring surface of the new oil filter.
  • Carefully install the New Oil Filter onto the threads and spin-on until contact is made with the crankcase base.
  • With your hand, turn the New Oil Filter ¾ to 1 full turn to fully seat the oil filter.  Do not over tighten.
  • Start the engine and check for any oil leaks. 
Does anyone hand tighten their filters vs. using a torque wrench or socket and calibrated arms to secure their filters?
Cheers!
Gilbysan
I have aiways hand tightened every spin on oil filter I have ever installed,  I guess that's 2 or 3 hundred by now. Never had a leak. I mostly take them off by hand as well. My KLK 250 and my wifes Camaro use cartridge filters. I use a wrench for those.

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 12:10:44 am »
lather,
Thanks for this. Now I have to ask why you wrench on the the Camaro and the KLK but hand tighten those other several 100.  Superstitious? :)

Gilbysan
gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 01:56:05 am »
The klx and the Camaro both have a metal cover with a nut for tightening. The Camaro cover actually has 24 nm stamped on it.ilI actually changed the Camaro filter today. I didn't use a torque wrench. The cover bottomed out at less than 20 newton meters  by arm muscle estimation. The filter cane with a new o ring and sits high in the engine compartment. Leaks are probably a zero issue. But to answer your question a rubber gasket seal seems appropriate for hand tightening while a metal cover might be appropriate for a torque value.

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 01:06:33 pm »
lather,
Got it.  Thanks for the reasoning. I did not know the differences between the platforms.
Safe Riding!
Gilbysan
gilbysan

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 01:49:15 pm »
I am pretty particular about filters but don't get expensive ones either. Through much research I come to trust Wix and Napa (made by Wix). For the C-10 that I don't ride much I have only changed oil once and haven't checked part numbers so just used a Kawasaki filter for the C-14 I use Napa Platinum. If I am using synthetic oil I like the Platinnum series if available for that vehicle for standard oil I use the Napa Gold.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Colt45

• Scooter
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • COG#: 7914
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 04:11:58 pm »
Is it really that hard to go by the motorcycle store and buy a Kawasaki filter? 
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 04:37:27 pm »
Is it really that hard to go by the motorcycle store and buy a Kawasaki filter?
:great:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 08:12:01 pm »
Motorcycle store? What's that? You mean Amazon?

I bought the bike used. 2008 C14 ABS, 15000 miles.
Guy swears he changed the oil in the spring AND again in the fall. I don't believe him. but...
The used filter I took off the bike was a Bocsh 3300. Couldn't find Bosch 3300 anywhere so I ordered one from Amazon using Kawasaki 08 abs. They sent me a filter fit for a diesel truck. I sent it back but in the mean time I slapped on a blue honda oil filter. Same one I run in all my Honda cars and BF150 outboard.
Took the bike on two 100+ mile trips within two days. Bike ran great. watched for oil leaks and over heating. nothing.
So far so good :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 09:15:16 pm »
Motorcycle store? What's that? You mean Amazon?

I bought the bike used. 2008 C14 ABS, 15000 miles.
Guy swears he changed the oil in the spring AND again in the fall. I don't believe him. but...
The used filter I took off the bike was a Bocsh 3300. Couldn't find Bosch 3300 anywhere so I ordered one from Amazon using Kawasaki 08 abs. They sent me a filter fit for a diesel truck. I sent it back but in the mean time I slapped on a blue honda oil filter. Same one I run in all my Honda cars and BF150 outboard.
Took the bike on two 100+ mile trips within two days. Bike ran great. watched for oil leaks and over heating. nothing.
So far so good :)

I love your sense of optimism, I do wish you well..

but, you have still neglected to offer up to us, that document this stuff, the actual filter number you used.

it would be a nice gesture. :great:
especially after you were handed a list, complied by numerous people, that used non OEM filters.. that stuff took 11 years to accumulate.

so, adding what 'you' used, may take place, and is welcomed, but describing it as "I slapped on a blue honda oil filter. Same one I run in all my Honda cars and BF150 outboard. Took the bike on two 100+ mile trips within two days. Bike ran great. watched for oil leaks and over heating. nothing.
So far so good"
  doesn't really help anyone here to feel warm and fuzzy... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

thanks in advance, please contribute to our data. :beerchug: :great:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:25:22 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 01:35:25 am »
it would be a nice gesture. :great:
especially after you were handed a list, complied by numerous people, that used non OEM filters.. that stuff took 11 years to accumulate.

so, adding what 'you' used, may take place, and is welcomed, but describing it as "I slapped on a blue honda oil filter. Same one I run in all my Honda cars and BF150 outboard. Took the bike on two 100+ mile trips within two days. Bike ran great. watched for oil leaks and over heating. nothing.
So far so good"
  doesn't really help anyone here to feel warm and fuzzy... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

thanks in advance, please contribute to our data. :beerchug: :great:

Can pretty much guarantee he used either the 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02...  My money is on the A02, since that is the current production part, unless he got lucky or had a box of A01 laying around.

The A01 filter was made by Filtech and was an awesome filter.  I used to buy them by the case.
The A02 filter is made by Honeywell and best I can tell it's basically a Frankenstein between the Fram Orange-Can-of-Death filter media but with the Fram Ultra anti-drainback valve.  I stopped using Honda OEM filters after they switched to Honeywell.  Now I run Mobil 1 M1-110/A in those applications.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 03:02:51 am »
Yup. 15400-plm-a02
I believe it's the same filter on all Honda's except S2000 and the SI's.
I buy my Honda marine outboard filter from Amazon. Same blue filter.
And now, Hallelujah, my Kawasaki C14.
I only wish I could screw one if those little blue suckers on my KLR650.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 03:15:31 am »
My choice in filter largely comes from cutting open old filters and Fram filters are the worst.
Fram uses cardboard ends glued to the ends of their media, I have found many of them where the ends have failed making the filter little more than a sediment bowl. I wouldn't let a Fram filter near anything I own.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 09:55:32 pm »
Bought a 1978 Ford van new 300 six , put 360,000 miles on it using mostly Fram filters , pulled the head at 300,000 to have the head freshened up , cylinders  looked fresh , used only Mobil ! every 15,000 miles or so , I'm not real regular  , but I use the best oil ;)   Van got rear ended , totaled , sold the motor , still running GREAT .
K&N for bike  use good oil :103:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 10:48:51 pm »
I personally have never had an over the counter filter, from a major filter manufacturer, "fail",and I've used them all over the last 45+ years...
Oil, in my usage, has always been a "inspect, sniff, feel it" thing, and I've been known to run some oils for 8k miles or more, without changing, and I knew my filter was working well.

BUT..
I did break down, and have an "oil change/service" done ONCE... at a major "Lube Stop" (Penzoil) owned... as it was dead winter, I had 5k on the oil and filter, and was going on a 2k mile roundtrip to see my grand kids down south...
sooo I was working, and tossed the "big buck$$" down for the oil, filter, and also transmission filter and flush, and rear end lube... for my great runnin '99 GMC truck, V6 Vortec, with auto trans.. which currently has 190k+ miles on it...
first off, they said there is no tranny filter... and proceded to do an operation of removing, flushing, and filling it thru the filler tube... which I found very odd, and didn't have warm fuzzy thoughts on.. then, they wanted ME to tell them what gear lube to use in the rear end... WTH?
then, on to the oil, and filter... I don't use Penzoil, and I surely wasn't going to be duped into the special "high miles vehical oil" for a premium cost they were pushing on me, so I opted for the generic normal 10-40 I had been using for decades. NOW.... the fun part... didn't even ask about the filter, because I assumed they had a quality part to install.... boy o boy... was I wrong. trip down to S.C. and almost all the way back, was uneventful.. no big deal... about 80 miles from home, I started hearing a valve chatter... a lifter... so I checked oil at a gas stop within a few minutes.. oil was up, all cool.. but the last 80 miles home this lifter sounded like it was going to part company with my engine any second...
when I got home, I was about 1/2 qt. low, my engine was running "warmer" than it should have, even in 20* temperatures... so I dumped in a pint of some spooge "quiet lifter joose..", and it quieted down a notch.. dumped in another bottle when I got home, checked level, all cool.. it was quiet for about 20 miles, and began to chatter again.. I stopped and bought a new Purolator filter, and some oil, drained it all out laying in my driveway in a blizzard, at 5*F, installed the filter, and fresh oil, and never heard a tick out of that engine since... 4 years ago... I saved that filter for a month,(no markings of any kind on it, generic filter, painted white...) and when I went to complain, the place had closed..
the failure of ANY filter, within 2k miles, to a point where the oil is cycling thru the relief section, and not being filtered whatsoever ( as I found in this instance) is reallllly annoying.

so, when it comes to filters, its a caveat emptor, semper fi moment every time.

peace, and ride safe.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 11:22:42 pm »
I run the Baldwin B1402 extended length filter. The B1400 is the stock size. Murphs oil filter cover fits fine over the B1402.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.