Author Topic: Honestly, how 'sporty' is the C14?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Honestly, how 'sporty' is the C14?
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 02:07:34 am »
How sporty is it? That honestly depends on your interpretation of sporty. In my opinion calling the Concours sporty is a stretch. Personally I've ridden modern sport bikes aggressively so I may not be in line with others on here. Will it corner? Sure. Get your knee down? That picture above proves it can. Can it accelerate fast and stop relatively fast? Yes. But in my opinion on a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being BMWRR type sporty, its probably a 5 or a 6. In most situations the average rider can have enough fun on it but it's just too much weight to flick, brake and turn like a modern "sporty" bike.

Offline Road Runner

• Moped
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 11:42:34 pm »
How sporty is it? That honestly depends on your interpretation of sporty. In my opinion calling the Concours sporty is a stretch. Personally I've ridden modern sport bikes aggressively so I may not be in line with others on here. Will it corner? Sure. Get your knee down? That picture above proves it can. Can it accelerate fast and stop relatively fast? Yes. But in my opinion on a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being BMWRR type sporty, its probably a 5 or a 6. In most situations the average rider can have enough fun on it but it's just too much weight to flick, brake and turn like a modern "sporty" bike.

Well said, IMO. All relative to what one is comparing it too.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2018, 01:02:04 am »

Off the rails again huh, the OP has a C 10 is 70 years young and is asking some basic questions , so you start beating your chest about your great experience  on sport bikes and telling us how lame our bikes are , REALLY  :85:  why did you buy such a lame bike?

You must have a real problem driving , every year the group goes to Jennings GP , you should show up at the next one and show us how to drive ;)
I bet we have some girls in the group you can't get past :rotflmao:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline MtnRider

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2018, 01:44:29 am »
It's interesting to me how you that have ridden pure sport bikes talk about the weight and slow response. While I learned to ride in 1975 (on  a borrowed bike) the only bike I owned prior to the C14 was an '06 Vulcan 1600, 800+ pounds of cruiser bought new in 07. Sold it 4 months ago and bought a `15 C14 with 9k miles 6 weeks ago. To me, the C14 is light, easy to throw into a corner and extremely "sporty".   :rotflmao: :motonoises: :motonoises: :great:  As stated before, all a matter of perspective. I LOVE this bike!
Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

2015 Black C14

Offline joliver

• Mini Bike
    • My former biking days.
  • COG#: 10420
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2018, 03:04:41 pm »
Thanks for all the info/insight.  If/when I sell my C10 I think I'll be gettin' a C14.
I did that and never regretted for a second. Well, maybe when I realized I got the sequence wrong. It should be ask wife get bike. I used the old buy bike tell wife sequence. Hey, she's over it and I have a 2015!
Get it flashed and you'll wonder why you waited so long to switch. I have the EVO and it is so smooth it still makes me smile.
15 1400 ABS
02 Connie Purchased used after a 35 year break.
75 Suzuki GT 550
72 Suzuki T500
69 Suzuki 250

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2018, 07:05:52 pm »
  To me, the C14 is light, easy to throw into a corner and extremely "sporty".  I LOVE this bike!

Happy for you. Ride a faster lighter sportier bike and you should be able to realise that the concourse is not sporty.

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 07:11:12 pm »

Off the rails again huh, the OP has a C 10 is 70 years young and is asking some basic questions , so you start beating your chest about your great experience  on sport bikes and telling us how lame our bikes are , REALLY  :85:  why did you buy such a lame bike?

You must have a real problem driving , every year the group goes to Jennings GP , you should show up at the next one and show us how to drive ;)
I bet we have some girls in the group you can't get past :rotflmao:

Off the rails? Nope.
Beating my chest? no sir, just stating the facts.
Why did I buy - your words "a lame bike"? Just checking out what the grass is like on the other side so that I can have an educated perspective.
I must have a problem driving? nope.
Bet there are some girls I can't get past? There very well could be -  There are loads of videos on youtube of girl stunt riders and racers. Did you know there are girl bodybuilders and scientists? Neuro surgeons and Nobel prize winners?

Cuda - I'm not appreciating your attacks and you're digging yourself a nice hole - just back off before most of the good people reading this post see you an argumentative sexist.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:57:05 am by TimR »

Offline MtnRider

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2018, 07:30:09 pm »
  To me, the C14 is light, easy to throw into a corner and extremely "sporty".  I LOVE this bike!

Happy for you. Ride a faster lighter sportier bike and you should be able to realise that the concourse is not sporty.

At 64 years old, this is more than fast and sporty enough for me.  ;D   I doubt if my reflexes and reaction times would keep up with a sport bike if I tried to ride close to its capabilities. "A man has to know his limitations." What I care about: I'm having a lot of fun and I actually look forward to my commute now, not necessarily work, but the commute makes me smile.  Different strokes for different folks.
Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

2015 Black C14

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2018, 08:00:04 pm »
I hear ya and understand that. I just see that the guy asked how sporty is it, and not knowing the OP's age, I just answered how I see it... It just ain't a sporty bike.

Offline kv5e

• Roll miles, Keep smiles
  • Crotch Rocket
  • TARKUS - Texas Bad Boy
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 5063
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 10:40:09 am »
Opinions are like alimentary orifices, everyone has their own.

Let's agree to disagree here before this gets uncivil, please

Everyone get out and ride...... :motonoises: :beerchug:

MODERATOR hat on.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:54:03 am by kv5e »
South Central Area Director

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 06:46:38 pm »
The OP messaged me and said he bought a 2013 C14 after test riding it, and is very happy with handling. 
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline kv5e

• Crotch Rocket
  • TARKUS - Texas Bad Boy
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 08:38:06 pm »
The OP messaged me and said he bought a 2013 C14 after test riding it, and is very happy with handling.

Great News!!!!!!   They'll have trouble wiping the smiles off their face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Offline Wingedspirit

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12707
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 11:59:02 pm »
Congratulations Charliedog! 
You'll love it for its strengths.  It has a lot.
Now get some farkles and a tune you'll love it even more!

I'm serious here.  I've never ridden a C14, but I have put over 100k on my C10.  The C10 will handle the mountain roads around here, but it is work.  The road tests and comparisons say the C14 is the 'sportiest' of the sport-tourers, and while it is no GSX-R, how would it compare to a naked sport bike such as Bandit 1200 or an FZ1-I've owned a big Bandit and both generations of FZ1.

I know the C14 is heavier than a C10, but is the add'l weight noticeable-or does a lower center of mass hide the pounds? 

I'll always be a sport biker rider at heart, but my 70 year old knees won't allow it.

TIA   

Offline Charliedog

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 03:51:47 pm »
FWIW, an update.

Yes, I did get a C14-before selling my C10.  It's a blue 2013 with 46K on it and a bunch of extras installed by the PO, who traded it in on a BMW GS1200 Adventure to do some off-pavement exploring.  It came with a Laam seat, lower Murph's foot pegs, Canyon Cages, extra driving lights and a huge LED brake light, ThrottleMeister, Phil's rack set up for a GIVI case, two risers-one straight, one w/ pull back, plus wedges for the handlebars, and more.  The PO is an MSF instructor and religious about maintenance, the price was right, my wife was supportive, so I got it and rode it 140 miles home.

Came home over a couple of relatively steep inclines (at least for east of the Mississippi), and all I can say is this bike makes mole hills out of mountains.  And I was surprised by the gas mileage-almost 50. I've since gone thru a second tank full of gas, and it was within a tenth of an mpg of the first.  You're probably thinking I must ride like an old fart to get that kind of mileage, but heck, I resemble that remark.

I appreciate everyone's suggestion to get the ECU flashed, I may do that eventually but I'm in no hurry.

Larry     

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2018, 10:21:21 pm »
And just when I was feeling confident about my last post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svg2eBBQ6Uk

I still feel its not a 'sporty' bike. A CBR 600 would just be so much more flickable and ultimately more fun( Aka sporty).... but it can be done on the C14.

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2018, 11:32:47 pm »
Why are you here?
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline Gsled

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12448
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2018, 02:11:14 am »
 From several years ago I recall a story line in a motorcycle mag ( actually 2 different mags) where the editors were testing the last sport offerings in middle California. They come across a Harley roadking that's hustling along pretty fair and they blast past on a long enough straight, they can't shake this harley for the rest of the turns. After a few miles everyone including the Harley pull off at a roadside cafe. As everyone removes helmets they discover the roadking is piloted by Kenny Roberts sr.
 The real question could be " Honestly how sporty are you?"  :)

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2018, 02:16:42 am »

Bet there are some girls I can't get past? There very well could be - you sexist idiot. There are loads of videos on youtube of girl stunt riders and racers. Did you know there are girl bodybuilders and scientists? Neuro surgeons and Nobel prize winners?

Well off the rails into the dirt now , because I said  you would not be able to get around some of our  girl's is a compliment to our Women riders ,   no they are not professional racers just average C14 owners with their Husbands having fun for one weekend a year,  just another rant by mister KNOWITALL, but I'm a sexist idiot huh :104: :72: 
I'm still married to the girl I started dating when I was 16  her Mother told her back then "that's the one I'd marry " she is still alive at 92 and has not changed her mind  :great: I have the greatest respect for women .
You did not know the OP's age because you have your own agenda he stated it in the first post , how did you miss it? because your mister KNOWITALL
Get a GRIP because your off the rails again , again,again ... 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:28:13 pm by cuda »
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2018, 12:39:37 pm »
 :popcorn:

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12819
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2018, 01:37:31 pm »
"Respect for women" but your avatar is a parody balloon of a giant woman's a** in panties.  #thingsthatmakemesayhmmmmm lol

Offline kv5e

• Crotch Rocket
  • TARKUS - Texas Bad Boy
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2018, 02:42:14 pm »
Last time folks.......be civil and no personal attacks, please.

Craig

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12819
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2018, 02:48:00 pm »

Craig

I prostrate myself before thee and beg thy forgiveness...  Just an observation. Carry on :)

Offline kv5e

• Crotch Rocket
  • TARKUS - Texas Bad Boy
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2018, 03:27:37 pm »

Craig

I prostrate myself before thee and beg thy forgiveness...  Just an observation. Carry on :)

No need for that nonsense!   ;D

Some folks think sporty, some folks don't ....that's not going to change here.  :beerchug:

Craig

Offline br

• Bicycle
  • If you wana get fast, ride lots
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2018, 06:01:46 pm »
Well if sporty means flashy in appearance,styling, and performance like the dictionary says then hey.I rest my case.

Offline JPlug

• Tricycle
  • Don't let time slip by......Life's too short!
« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 01:19:39 am »
At the South West Meet & Greet, there were several riders that rode their bikes like they stole them! I agree that it's mostly about the rider on almost any bike even if it's 700 lbs. Sport On!!! :motonoises: